Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 06:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not Intended By A Rule ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Advantage/disadvantage concerns fouls, not violations.
(Note: Don't confuse advantage/disadvantage with the Tower Philosophy which is similar, but is not exactly the same as advantage/disadvantage.)

Prove it.

It is important to know the intent and purpose of a rule so that it may be intelligently applied in each play situation. A player of a team should not be permitted an advantage which is not intended by a rule. Neither should play be permitted to develop which may lead to placing a player at a disadvantage not intended by a rule.

Rules include both fouls, and violations. The "Intent and Purpose" preamble to the rulebook refers to rules, it doesn't solely refer to fouls.

I even got the late, great, Jurassic Referee to admit that advantage/disadvantage may apply to some violations, and three seconds was one of the two he put into that category. The second was a ten second count on a free throw. Getting Jurassic Referee to partially agree with me was definitely the highlight of my Forum career. That was the closest that I ever got to becoming an esteemed member, I peaked, flamed out, and it's been all downhill from there.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 06, 2013 at 06:55pm.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Advantage/disadvantage concerns fouls, not violations. 3 seconds can be called too tight (like traveling, and unlike OOB), but if the defense can get a turnover by legally trapping a player in the lane, why wouldn't you call it?
Because that was never the purpose nor the intent of the 3 second rule.

If the player is attempting to get out but is blocked by an opponent, I will not call 3 seconds.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 07:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
As soon as the coach comes at you with the "the rule is 3 seconds" statement, Ive got ok coach you have voiced your displeasure, we are moving on. then, since this sounds like a lower level game and i dont have the patience to put up with nonsense from a lower level coach about something as trivial as a 3 second call, i am calling a 3 second violation on him as soon as he has anyone in the lane for exactly 3 seconds. he will get the picture real fast about wanting the rules called exactly as written without any discretion on the part of the officials.
To me, that's just a terrible choice to make on the court.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 07:18pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac;870496
It is important to know the intent and purpose of a[B
rule [/B]so that it may be intelligently applied in each play situation. A player of a team should not be permitted an advantage which is not intended by a rule. Neither should play be permitted to develop which may lead to placing a player at a disadvantage not intended by a rule.

Rules include both fouls, and violations. The "Intent and Purpose" preamble to the rulebook refers to rules, it doesn't solely refer to fouls.

You are twisting two separate things together. (again)

Advantage/Disadvantage is written into the definition of a personal foul, though it does not use those exact terms.

"contact which hinders a player....."

No such language is used in any violation definition. There are different interpretations of how strictly to enforce violations, perhaps most notably 3 second violations, (and NCAA traveling) but these interpretations have no support in the strict reading of the written rule.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 07:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And Maybe The Powerball Numbers ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Advantage/Disadvantage is written into the definition of a personal foul, though it does not use those exact terms.
No such language is used in any violation definition. There are different interpretations of how strictly to enforce violations, perhaps most notably 3 second violations, but these interpretations have no support in the strict reading of the written rule.
The exact words "advantage" and disadvantage" are included in the "Intent and Purpose" preamble to the rulebook. It doesn't have a number, i.e. Rule 4, but it is an important part of the "written" rules.

Good luck calling a ten second violation the next time a player takes ten and a half seconds to shoot a free throw.

Is there an internet in heaven? If so, Jurassic Referee, please send us a sign.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 06, 2013 at 07:45pm.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 07:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thanks for Your Support ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Because that was never the purpose nor the intent of the 3 second rule.
"Purpose ... intent"? Sure sounds like a reference to the "Intent and Purpose" preamble to the rulebook. Doesn't the NFHS say something about advantage and disadvantage in that preamble?

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 06, 2013 at 07:46pm.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 07:56pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The exact words "advantage" and disadvantage" are included in the "Intent and Purpose" preamble to the rulebook. It doesn't have a number, i.e. Rule 4, but it is an important part of the "written" rules.
Think about it a bit more. This is not about advantage/disadvantage, but rather about strictness of enforcement, which also applies to fouls. (how much does the player have to be hindered) Think of it this way. The 5'3" player in the lane was not gaining an advantage, so the official didn't call it. Probably none of us would at 3. But at 5, some would call it. At 7, others would call it. If he's still there at 10, probably most would call it.

The little guy still probably was gaining no more advantage than he was at 3.

I'm done with this.

Quote:
Good luck calling a ten second violation the next time a player takes ten and a half seconds to shoot a free throw.
I've never actually seen this happen possibly because sometimes, especially in my early years, I didn't even have a count going. But I'm thinking there would be few, if any complaints from anyone because 10 in this situation seems like a really long time to me. Questions on this call would probably be mainly from those who were not even aware it was a rule.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 07:58pm
Get away from me, Steve.

You know, this isn't about calling or not calling the three second violation. Doesn't really matter to me if the 63" player pulled two sticks out of his (probably fairly small) pockets and sat down in the lane and started a campfire.

It's about saying too much to a coach.

I didn't see a question in the OP. I'm guessing the coach was hollering for 3-seconds. Why even have the conversation? Simply let him go on thinking you missed it and keep the game going.

If he asks the question politely, tell him you didn't have him in there too long and that you'll look for it in the future. Then don't change anything.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
You know, this isn't about calling or not calling the three second violation. Doesn't really matter to me if the 63" player pulled two sticks out of his (probably fairly small) pockets and sat down in the lane and started a campfire.

It's about saying too much to a coach.

I didn't see a question in the OP. I'm guessing the coach was hollering for 3-seconds. Why even have the conversation? Simply let him go on thinking you missed it and keep the game going.

If he asks the question politely, tell him you didn't have him in there too long and that you'll look for it in the future. Then don't change anything.
Thanks to everyone for your replies.

The coach did complain and I tried to explain.

If the kid had been taller to box off or get a rebound, I would have called it. this kid was under 100 pounds and short. He was up against 3 players from the other team that were about 6' tall and over 160 pounds.

My point was to keep the game flowing.

Coach was upset because the other team had made a run and caught up. That's really what it was.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 08:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Like Rich said. I'm not even addressing this complaint. If he asks a polite question, I might say I was giving him a chance to get out since he was trying. After his warning, however, I'm not going to discuss it later.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 08:36pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Like Rich said. I'm not even addressing this complaint. If he asks a polite question, I might say I was giving him a chance to get out since he was trying. After his warning, however, I'm not going to discuss it later.
The one thing that working a sideline in football (I hadn't regularly worked a sideline in over a decade prior to this year, when I moved to a new level for me) was that sometimes it's better to just pretend the coach didn't say anything. Many times, the coach is just venting some frustration and will move on very quickly.

That is, unless the official keeps the conversation going.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 08:47pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
Thanks to everyone for your replies.

The coach did complain and I tried to explain.

If the kid had been taller to box off or get a rebound, I would have called it. this kid was under 100 pounds and short. He was up against 3 players from the other team that were about 6' tall and over 160 pounds.

My point was to keep the game flowing.

Coach was upset because the other team had made a run and caught up. That's really what it was.
I thought the point of the thread was to have better communications with a coach. If that is the case, then the fact that you told a coach you ignored a rule because of the height of a player caused the conversation to go farther than it should have. If you don't believe that to be the case then I don't know what other kind of answer you are looking for.

You not only said too much, you told a coach you purposedly ignored a rule. Next time, if you really want keep the game flowing and shut the coach down then your best answer would have be "you know what coach, you might be right about this one."
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

I meant that my point in NOT calling the 3 seconds, was to keep the game flowing.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 09:03pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
I meant that my point in NOT calling the 3 seconds, was to keep the game flowing.
Oh, I understood that. But in the end the amount of time that was saved was offset by the aggravation of having to address the coach multiple times.

You know you didn't call it b/c you just wanted to keep the game moving. But you don't want to have an on-going dialogue over a single insignificant play. So "coach, you're probably right" lets you get away with the no-call without having to explain it AND shuts the coach down at the same time.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 08:47am.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 10:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
To me, that's just a terrible choice to make on the court.
Agreed. That's the sort of vindictive officiating that will relegated a guy to middle school blowouts and YMCA games.