The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

R1 on 1B. After 3 pitches, F1 requests the count. While the umpire is responding, R1 attempts to advance and is thrown out by F2. The umpire should call/rule ............

Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Runner out.Live ball
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Wasn't this on the test last year? I'll let others answer this one.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
Wasn't this on the test last year? I'll let others answer this one.
Do not believe it was there last year.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
R1 on 1B. After 3 pitches, F1 requests the count. While the umpire is responding, R1 attempts to advance and is thrown out by F2. The umpire should call/rule ............

....nothing.

Send the runner back to 1B. When an umpire is performing functions related to his duties as an umpire (count, line-up change, brush plate, etc.), the game is suspended and no action may take place.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Grey Mule, its on the test this year
Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Funny, I remember discussing that one last year, so I must have remembered it as having been on the test.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 05:43am
Official Forum Member

HAD THIS HAPPEN IN 12U NATIONALS UIC SAID THIS IS A
LIVE BALL APPEAL
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 06:33am
Official Forum Member

LIVE BALL APPEAL

??
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

I think allancru meant "live ball" (without "appeal").

Anyway, the rule here is 10-8B. This is 2003 Case Play 10.8-2. I don't know if it was on the 2003 test, but it was in the 2003 case book.

The rule states
Quote:
Play will be suspended whenever the plate umpire leaves the umpires position to brush the plate or perform other duties not directly realted to the calling of plays.
Notice, it doesn't say "may be suspended" but it says "will be suspended."

The defense is allowed to ask the umpire for the count, and if the umpire responds, the offense may not attempt something with everyone distracted.

BTW, ALLANCRU, NO NEED TO SHOUT. (ACTUALLY, MY BEEF WITH ALL CAPS IS NOT THE SHOUTING CONVENTION BUT THE FACT THAT IS IS MORE DIFFICULT TO READ TEXT WHEN IT IS PRINTED IN ALL CAPS, BECAUSE WE READ BY PATTERN RECOGNITION AND WHEN THE PATTERNS OF THE LETTERS ARE DIFFERENT IT SLOWS THINGS DOWN.) SEE?
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

DAKOTA,

WHAT IS WRONG WITH SOMEONE TYPING IN ALL CAPS AND WHY WOULD YOU PUBLICLY CRITICIZE SOMEONE THAT DOES SOMETHING AGAINST YOUR STANDARDS/PET PEEVES? (YOU COULD HAVE EMAILED HIM WITH A SUGGESTION.) PERSONALLY, I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH SOMEONE TYPING IN ALL CAPS – I CAN READ IT FINE.

Everyone - letÂ’s not get back into the practice of beating on one another here. This should be an educational forum for all of us to learn from. The content of the board is the important thing, not the writing style.

IMHO
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Boy, you haven't been around web boards much if you consider that mild, impersonal, semi-humorous, show-by-example-what-I-was-taking-about beating someone up!

I'm astonished!

(BTW, people who have no problem reading normal text v all caps read letter-by-letter. Pattern-recognition readers have to slow down. Differences in human perception, etc.)
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluefire
DAKOTA,

WHAT IS WRONG WITH SOMEONE TYPING IN ALL CAPS AND WHY WOULD YOU PUBLICLY CRITICIZE SOMEONE THAT DOES SOMETHING AGAINST YOUR STANDARDS/PET PEEVES? (YOU COULD HAVE EMAILED HIM WITH A SUGGESTION.) PERSONALLY, I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH SOMEONE TYPING IN ALL CAPS – I CAN READ IT FINE.

Everyone - letÂ’s not get back into the practice of beating on one another here. This should be an educational forum for all of us to learn from. The content of the board is the important thing, not the writing style.

IMHO
With the exception of acronyms or accentation, typing in all caps is considered rude and in some cases insulting. It is more difficult to read than messages typed in lower case.

I don't see that as public criticism. The question was asked why the post was in all caps and the reasoning behind the inquiry. Dakota had cause to believe Allan may have been shouting as his original post was not presented in the same manner. I prefer to believe that Allan just forgot his "caps lock" was engaged.

Just as equally, why did you to post a dressing-down of Dakota in a public forum?

If you are not familiar with this venue, this board is probably one of the most civil on the internet and most of us would like to keep it that way.

That doesn't mean there are not some heated debates. We speak our mind and have no problem telling someone when we believe they are wrong or misinformed. The common ground here is that even when we disagree, we try to keep it respectful and provide specific citations or references.

Unlike other boards, in the end, if we cannot come to a consensus, we agree to disagree and move on.

IOW, this board operates a lot like an umpire should approach, work and finish a game.

JMHO,

Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Ironic - wasn't it.