The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

I would say your crew is getting in trouble by relaying the number of timeouts left to a team. Don't do this, ever! If someone asks you how many timeouts they have, tell them to ask the book.

Had home called a timeout you would have been in a predicament.

Anytime there is a dispute in a college game in regard to timeouts... I would recommend going to the internet "play-by-play." (Not the radio) Usually there is someone at the table with a laptop charting each play in text. This includes the time of timeouts used and can be consulted if you need to get the play right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls View Post
College game last night.

Visiting team is making a comeback from 22 down and have cut the lead to 5 with 4 minutes to go and the teams are trading baskets.

With 1:13 to go Home team gets trapped on the sideline and has to call their last TO. My partners are taking care of the TO administration and having a discussion on the opposite side of the floor. The table crew has told them that the home team still has 1 time out left.

I am observing the home team and the coach tells his team they are out of TO's - as both teams are tracking them. One of my partners is telling the home team that they still have 1 TO left. I go over and tell them that the coach thinks he has no TO's left. The book does a quick recheck, 1 TO left for the home team. Can you smell the home cooking?

Coach has asked R, so if I call TO, you are not going to T me? "no, the book says you have one left"

R explains this to visiting team as well and we get ready to inbound the ball. I bounce the ball to the inbounder, who has trouble getting ball in, but does so on 4 count. Visitors trap the ball near midcourt, clock does not start for 4 or 5 seconds, the home team is able to split the trap and make a pass, AND the shot clock had been reset when the ball was caught by the home team. I remember looking at the clock 1:13 left and :13 left. The T and the C kill the play.

Now that we have fixed everything, the table sounds the horn. "I found the last TO, home team is out of TO's"

Both coaches are difficult in the best of situations. If home team had called a TO, the visiting coach likely goes crazy saying that the extra time out should be TF. If we TF the excessive TO, the home coach goes bananas which might get another TF.

Maybe we should start carrying pad and pen like football/soccer to track TO's ourselves?
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
When was the last time you saw "two 16 y/o's" running books at a college game? (I believe that was the game in the OP)
Wasn't referring to the OP. I was referring to Billy Mac's post, who I am under the impression only works HS. If I'm wrong about that, BM is welcome to correct me.

Either way, it wasn't meant to be taken that every single game has 16 y/o scorers. But for the record, many of them do here and I do everything I can to keep it from going down the crapper because of them.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 09, 2013, 01:17am
We don't rent pigs

Tonight, varsity DH, there was a kid (not sure how old, my definition of "kid" is a lot broader than it used to be) keeping the official book. We had a timeout with about 2 or 3 minutes left in the girls game. I walked to the table and never said a word. He quickly volunteered. (pointing) "They have 2 left.....and they have 1." I said to just be sure and let us know if somebody has NONE. He assured me that he would.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 09, 2013, 07:42am
Esteemed Forum Member

A Mark Goodson Bill Todman Production ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Just be sure and let us know if somebody has none.
Hey. That's my line.

Note: None and excess.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 09, 2013, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Here's what I like to do with timeouts-

*Say a coach has used both 30's-I'll tell the reporting official "Last 30 for ______"

*On the next timeout after using the last 30 I wll make the full signal to signify that is all they have left

*Same ideas applies if they use all fulls first.

*Otherwise I tell them when they ask.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2013, 11:20am
Get away from me, Steve.

Call me crazy, but I want to know what a team has left and which kinds they have left. If a team has only 60-second timeouts left, I don't want to have to waste time asking the coach what he wants.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2013, 11:41am
Esteemed Forum Member

Toto, I Have A Feeling We’re Not In Kansas Anymore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Call me crazy.
You're not crazy, you're just in Rome.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 09, 2013, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

We discussed this as a crew and with the "play-by-play" person. He said that it would take 10 minutes or more to get back to the beginning of the play-by-play and track down the information. We did not pursue this as an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
I would say your crew is getting in trouble by relaying the number of timeouts left to a team. Don't do this, ever! If someone asks you how many timeouts they have, tell them to ask the book.

Had home called a timeout you would have been in a predicament.

Anytime there is a dispute in a college game in regard to timeouts... I would recommend going to the internet "play-by-play." (Not the radio) Usually there is someone at the table with a laptop charting each play in text. This includes the time of timeouts used and can be consulted if you need to get the play right.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2013, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Call me crazy, but I want to know what a team has left and which kinds they have left. If a team has only 60-second timeouts left, I don't want to have to waste time asking the coach what he wants.
Not only waste time but it sure makes you look better when you know he's used up all of his 30's.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2013, 02:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj View Post
Not only waste time but it sure makes you look better when you know he's used up all of his 30's.
Exactly. I don't run to the coaches and tell them what they have left, bit I want to know.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2013, 02:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Exactly. I don't run to the coaches and tell them what they have left, bit I want to know.
I do exactly this. I know, but have no need to tell the coach til he's out.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2013, 03:16pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
This is about the only important thing I do in pregame. I tell the coaches, "Let us see the 30 signal, or you will get a full." Then, the worst thing that can happen is a 30 signal, scorer says they have no 30, and they get a full anyway.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 09, 2013, 03:18pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Note: None and excess.
If I know when they have none, I can figure out on my own if one is excess.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 09, 2013, 03:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
This is about the only important thing I do in pregame. I tell the coaches, "Let us see the 30 signal, or you will get a full." Then, the worst thing that can happen is a 30 signal, scorer says they have no 30, and they get a full anyway.
I use to say that, and some do here. Now, since the rule doesn't say to do this, I simply tell them to let me know, because otherwise I have to guess. If I'm feeling comedic, I'll point out that my wife tells me I'm horrible at reading minds so I'll probably guess wrong.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2013, 03:23pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I use to say that, and some do here. Now, since the rule doesn't say to do this, I simply tell them to let me know, because otherwise I have to guess.
The rule doesn't say to do what? I'm telling them to let me know, as well. Signal a 30, no signal means full. I don't have to guess, either.

Lonesome Dove