The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 12:17am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Uh, logic, common sense, and fair play? If I'm overlooking something, let's hear it.
If a home scorer hits a timer as a visiting player is shooting a free throw, there's no question I'm going to allow another throw. I'm not entirely certain I'd give the same latitude to a home player -- depends on the situation.

Same as if the timer is a bit slow stopping the clock -- I'm likely going to look at it a bit more carefully if the home timer does something marginal that disadvantages the visiting team.

They're supposed to be part of the officiating crew, but in most cases they are hired by the home team and in their hearts are not a neutral party.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It is a judgement call if you feel the FTs were affected by the buzzer. Otherwise you play on. Hard to tell if that is the case here. I guess the question I would ask, which was the home team? If the home team was at the line I would be more inclined to let it go. If the visiting team did this I would be more likely to give a substitute. It also would matter about the timing of the buzzer as well. But ultimately the casebook used to say it was at the discretion of the officials to decide if you stop play for this.

Peace
White=home

imo
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 12:46am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If a home scorer hits a timer as a visiting player is shooting a free throw, there's no question I'm going to allow another throw. I'm not entirely certain I'd give the same latitude to a home player -- depends on the situation.

Same as if the timer is a bit slow stopping the clock -- I'm likely going to look at it a bit more carefully if the home timer does something marginal that disadvantages the visiting team.

They're supposed to be part of the officiating crew, but in most cases they are hired by the home team and in their hearts are not a neutral party.

So you make an officiating decision based on what may be "in the heart" of the clock operator?

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 12:58am.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 01:12am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Yes, I'd be more inclined to give a replacement shot to the visiting team. Right or wrong, I just would.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 01:46am
We don't rent pigs

Here's the problem I have.

Your extra consideration definitely favors one team.

You know that when you do it.

This is, in theory to rectify a disservice which was intentionally done by someone else, but you will never know whether it was intentional or not.

When your partner makes 3 calls in a row against one team which all look horrible to you, are you inclined to ignore a call against the other team?

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 04:19am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJ View Post
White=home

imo
Could have been a tournament. Not always the indication of who is actually home. And if it was a tournament, then the conversation from my end would be different.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 04:26am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

This is, in theory to rectify a disservice which was intentionally done by someone else, but you will never know whether it was intentional or not.

When your partner makes 3 calls in a row against one team which all look horrible to you, are you inclined to ignore a call against the other team?
With all due respect I do not know what the last example has to do with this issue. We know if a game is a regular game the home team likely hired the home team and in most of our experiences, they have a rooting interest in their team. They are often parents, teachers or people directly involved with the program. It is entirely possible for them to do something that benefits their team. Not to say this was the case, but it would cross my mind. And that has nothing to do with what my partners call. But all of a sudden in a critical stage of the game the horn goes off, then I am thinking of what could be happening. As I said it really depends on the timing of the horn. If the horn goes off right as the FT is being shot, I will take a different approach than if the horn goes off right when the ball is at the disposal of the shooter. It is not black and white, it is very grey and why I would think about all those things and come to a decision. I might stop everything before a shot is taken if it is done at the right time.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 04:49am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
With all due respect I do not know what the last example has to do with this issue.

The issue is giving special consideration to one team to fix something which is possibly unjust. If your partner calls several fouls on the visitors when it is obvious to you that there is no contact on any of them, that would be unjust, but you wouldn't look at the next play any differently with this in mind, would you? I hope not.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 04:52am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
But if the home team did it to themselves, then that is all you have to say to the coach. "You hired them."
We've been focusing only on the other side of the issue, but this is just as bad. You think it's all right to penalize a home player who was distracted on a free throw because the home clock operator is incompetent?

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 05:02am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The issue is giving special consideration to one team to fix something which is possibly unjust. If your partner calls several fouls on the visitors when it is obvious to you that there is no contact on any of them, that would be unjust, but you wouldn't look at the next play any differently with this in mind, would you? I hope not.
Again, not sure what my partner's calls have to do with what a table does to disrupt the visiting team? And if my partner is screwing things up like that, they will not be there very long and I do not have to do much of anything.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 05:14am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
We've been focusing only on the other side of the issue, but this is just as bad. You think it's all right to penalize a home player who was distracted on a free throw because the home clock operator is incompetent?
This is not about morals. This is about game management. The home team screws their team they are not getting the benefit of the doubt.

I am not asking you to like it, just telling you what I will and have done. I am OK with my position on this and having experienced these situation personally that is how I handled them. And in my experience this is the way most officials I deal with handle it the same way.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 05:21am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
If the home team was at the line I would be more inclined to let it go.
A few yrs ago in a VG game I had the home team "accidentally" touch the wrong button at the table just before half-time and the announcements/advertisements started playing just as the player was releasing the shot. CLANK..... it was the home team. Play on.

As this play states, it did make me pause though......
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 07:45am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
This is not about morals. This is about game management. The home team screws their team they are not getting the benefit of the doubt.

I am not asking you to like it, just telling you what I will and have done. I am OK with my position on this and having experienced these situation personally that is how I handled them. And in my experience this is the way most officials I deal with handle it the same way.

Peace
What he said. JAR, your even up scenario has nothing to do with this, either.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 08:28am
Keeper of the HAMMER

It's not just the intentional stuff, either. Even if it's just incompetence....
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 10:37am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Wow, talk about a non sequitur.