The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

I guess what I'm asking is suppose Team A has a spot throwin on their baseline about half way to corner. With Team B in a 2-3 zone, A1 attempts to throw the inbounds pass to a shooter in far corner. B5 standing near baseline under basket reaches for pass and knocks it back out of bounds. Even if he contacted ball prior to ball breaking plane, how many of us have a T here or should we?
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 12:01pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
I guess what I'm asking is suppose Team A has a spot throwin on their baseline about half way to corner. With Team B in a 2-3 zone, A1 attempts to throw the inbounds pass to a shooter in far corner. B5 standing near baseline under basket reaches for pass and knocks it back out of bounds. Even if he contacted ball prior to ball breaking plane, how many of us have a T here or should we?
That has absolutely nothing to do with the OP.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 12:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

It is a technical foul if they reach through the throw-in plane just to touch the ball. If it is obvious I have a T. If it is close I might give some benefit of the doubt. Never seen this where that was an issue so I am not really going to worry about it that much.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 12:10pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
It's a throw-in pass. It's been released. When can it be touched by the defense?
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is a legal play.

The restrictions end when the ball is released on a throw-in pass, even if that is before the ball crosses the plane.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
That has absolutely nothing to do with the OP.
Oh, and I'm the first one ever to high jack a thread

Thought I was asking a relative question. If not, in the words of my hero Steve Martin: WELL EXCUUUUSSSSEEEE MEEEEE

Thank you Bob for your explanation.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 02:30pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Oh, and I'm the first one ever to high jack a thread

Thought I was asking a relative question. If not, in the words of my hero Steve Martin: WELL EXCUUUUSSSSEEEE MEEEEE

Thank you Bob for your explanation.
That is all well and good if you asked about a different situation as the OP. However, you really never moved off your original position of questioning the judgment of the original play description. A simple "What about this situation?" would do. It happens all of the time here. Otherwise, it appears that you are trying to discuss the original posit and are not using the original language of the play. A spot throw-in is entirely different from a throw-in after a made basket. But rather than accept the possiblity of a misinterpretation, you elected to go in a different direction.

And, it is "hijack" btw.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
That is all well and good if you asked about a different situation as the OP. However, you really never moved off your original position of questioning the judgment of the original play description. A simple "What about this situation?" would do. It happens all of the time here. Otherwise, it appears that you are trying to discuss the original posit and are not using the original language of the play. A spot throw-in is entirely different from a throw-in after a made basket. But rather than accept the possiblity of a misinterpretation, you elected to go in a different direction.

And, it is "hijack" btw.
"Sorry, if it happened like that I guess I missed it."
Old Sat Jan 05, 2013, 11:29pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
"Sorry, if it happened like that I guess I missed it."
What are your thoughts on calling the DOG for breaking the plane? I see it happen in pretty much every game but have never seen anyone call it here. I did once, but have been extremely lenient since then.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
I see it happen in pretty much every game
You're looking too hard.

That is, I'm not disagreeing that a finger ot two might not break the plane, but you want the call to be more obvious before you call it.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 09:13am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
This is a legal play.

The restrictions end when the ball is released on a throw-in pass, even if that is before the ball crosses the plane.
Correct that this is a legal play for the defense.
But (though not with the response above in any way in mind, nor any hijack hijinx intended) an offensive player does not have this luxury (7-6-2).

As for the rare need for one of us to determine whether the thrown ball was a 7-5-7 pass to a teammate OOB or a pass deep across to the other side of the court, that's why good positioning so as to, with a quick movement, see right down the OOB line is important, I guess. Can't afford to back away farther OOB, or "leave early" to start heading up court after a made basket, right?

Last edited by Freddy; Sun Jan 06, 2013 at 09:16am.