The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #16 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 11:59am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 520
I guess what I'm asking is suppose Team A has a spot throwin on their baseline about half way to corner. With Team B in a 2-3 zone, A1 attempts to throw the inbounds pass to a shooter in far corner. B5 standing near baseline under basket reaches for pass and knocks it back out of bounds. Even if he contacted ball prior to ball breaking plane, how many of us have a T here or should we?
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 12:01pm
Aleve Titles to Others
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Westchester of the Southern Conference
Posts: 5,386
Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
I guess what I'm asking is suppose Team A has a spot throwin on their baseline about half way to corner. With Team B in a 2-3 zone, A1 attempts to throw the inbounds pass to a shooter in far corner. B5 standing near baseline under basket reaches for pass and knocks it back out of bounds. Even if he contacted ball prior to ball breaking plane, how many of us have a T here or should we?
That has absolutely nothing to do with the OP.
__________________
Never hit a piñata if you see hornets flying out of it.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 12:02pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 29,585
It is a technical foul if they reach through the throw-in plane just to touch the ball. If it is obvious I have a T. If it is close I might give some benefit of the doubt. Never seen this where that was an issue so I am not really going to worry about it that much.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 12:10pm
Lighten up, Francis.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
I guess what I'm asking is suppose Team A has a spot throwin on their baseline about half way to corner. With Team B in a 2-3 zone, A1 attempts to throw the inbounds pass to a shooter in far corner. B5 standing near baseline under basket reaches for pass and knocks it back out of bounds. Even if he contacted ball prior to ball breaking plane, how many of us have a T here or should we?
It's a throw-in pass. It's been released. When can it be touched by the defense?
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
I guess what I'm asking is suppose Team A has a spot throwin on their baseline about half way to corner. With Team B in a 2-3 zone, A1 attempts to throw the inbounds pass to a shooter in far corner. B5 standing near baseline under basket reaches for pass and knocks it back out of bounds. Even if he contacted ball prior to ball breaking plane, how many of us have a T here or should we?
This is a legal play.

The restrictions end when the ball is released on a throw-in pass, even if that is before the ball crosses the plane.
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
That has absolutely nothing to do with the OP.
Oh, and I'm the first one ever to high jack a thread

Thought I was asking a relative question. If not, in the words of my hero Steve Martin: WELL EXCUUUUSSSSEEEE MEEEEE

Thank you Bob for your explanation.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 02:30pm
Aleve Titles to Others
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Westchester of the Southern Conference
Posts: 5,386
Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
Oh, and I'm the first one ever to high jack a thread

Thought I was asking a relative question. If not, in the words of my hero Steve Martin: WELL EXCUUUUSSSSEEEE MEEEEE

Thank you Bob for your explanation.
That is all well and good if you asked about a different situation as the OP. However, you really never moved off your original position of questioning the judgment of the original play description. A simple "What about this situation?" would do. It happens all of the time here. Otherwise, it appears that you are trying to discuss the original posit and are not using the original language of the play. A spot throw-in is entirely different from a throw-in after a made basket. But rather than accept the possiblity of a misinterpretation, you elected to go in a different direction.

And, it is "hijack" btw.
__________________
Never hit a piñata if you see hornets flying out of it.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
That is all well and good if you asked about a different situation as the OP. However, you really never moved off your original position of questioning the judgment of the original play description. A simple "What about this situation?" would do. It happens all of the time here. Otherwise, it appears that you are trying to discuss the original posit and are not using the original language of the play. A spot throw-in is entirely different from a throw-in after a made basket. But rather than accept the possiblity of a misinterpretation, you elected to go in a different direction.

And, it is "hijack" btw.
"Sorry, if it happened like that I guess I missed it."
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jan 05, 2013, 11:29pm
C'mon man!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
"Sorry, if it happened like that I guess I missed it."
What are your thoughts on calling the DOG for breaking the plane? I see it happen in pretty much every game but have never seen anyone call it here. I did once, but have been extremely lenient since then.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 08:59am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
I see it happen in pretty much every game
You're looking too hard.

That is, I'm not disagreeing that a finger ot two might not break the plane, but you want the call to be more obvious before you call it.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 09:13am
This IS My Social Life
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: at L, T, or C
Posts: 2,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
This is a legal play.

The restrictions end when the ball is released on a throw-in pass, even if that is before the ball crosses the plane.
Correct that this is a legal play for the defense.
But (though not with the response above in any way in mind, nor any hijack hijinx intended) an offensive player does not have this luxury (7-6-2).

As for the rare need for one of us to determine whether the thrown ball was a 7-5-7 pass to a teammate OOB or a pass deep across to the other side of the court, that's why good positioning so as to, with a quick movement, see right down the OOB line is important, I guess. Can't afford to back away farther OOB, or "leave early" to start heading up court after a made basket, right?
__________________
Making Every Effort to Be in the Right Place at the Right Time, Looking at the Right Thing to Make the Right Call

Last edited by Freddy; Sun Jan 06, 2013 at 09:16am.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Violation or legal? refguy Basketball 9 Wed Jan 21, 2009 09:15am
legal play? or Not? Johnny Ringo Basketball 21 Thu Mar 27, 2008 02:46am
Legal play? Johnny Ringo Basketball 9 Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:03am
Was this a legal play refnrev Volleyball 6 Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:54am
Legal Backcourt Violation: who calls it?? David Clausi Basketball 11 Fri Dec 31, 1999 09:55pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1