The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Last night I was watching an 8th grade game. In the middle of game 2 I saw a call that I'm puzzled about. I think it was a mistake and and need your input. In the midst of a very good rally, the ball is hit to home team's side of net. On the first hit LB sends the ball high and wide right. RF runs after the ball and crosses the center line outside of the playing area. She hits the ball back into her court (not over net or between antennas) where on the third hit the ball crosses the over the net and between the antennas into the opponents court. The referee blew it dead and said the second hit couldn't be allowed because she crossed the center line outside the field of play. There was no interference, she had both feet on the floor when she played the ball, and she gained no advantage from being in the area. I thought the rules changes this year allowed for this to be a legal play. His explanation had something to do with her being a back row player (which she was not) not being able to cross the center line. I think he missed the play and failed to reward good hustle on the girl's part. Wasn't this a legal play. What do you say?

[Edited by refnrev on Feb 8th, 2005 at 11:37 PM]
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 02:07am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
What you are describing is known as "International Pursuit". It is legal in NCAA and USAV/FIVB rules sets only if there are two meters of free space outside the pole on the table side and also outside the referee's stand.

However, in NFHS rules, the Pursuit rule is not applicable. The referee made the proper call. See Rule 9.3.3: "A live ball becomes dead when: a. The ball touches the net antennas or does not pass entirely between the net antennas and passes beyond the plane of the center line extension;..."

This is the play that you have described. The LB shanks the reception and the ball crosses the plane of the net wide right. The team's RF crosses the center line extension and plays the ball that had completely crossed beyond the plane of the center line extension back to her court where a teammate sends the ball over to the opponent's court between the antennas. As soon as the ball completely crossed the center line extension, the whistle should have been blown because the ball became dead at that time.

The only way that the play would be legal is if the ball was contacted by the RF while it was still within the plane of the center line extension. Once it completely crossed, it was a dead ball. Hope that is a help.

[Edited by MCBear on Feb 9th, 2005 at 02:10 AM]
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
Last night I was watching an 8th grade game. In the middle of game 2 I saw a call that I'm puzzled about. I think it was a mistake and and need your input. In the midst of a very good rally, the ball is hit to home team's side of net. On the first hit LB sends the ball high and wide right. RF runs after the ball and crosses the center line outside of the playing area. She hits the ball back into her court (not over net or between antennas) where on the third hit the ball crosses the over the net and between the antennas into the opponents court. The referee blew it dead and said the second hit couldn't be allowed because she crossed the center line outside the field of play. There was no interference, she had both feet on the floor when she played the ball, and she gained no advantage from being in the area. I thought the rules changes this year allowed for this to be a legal play. His explanation had something to do with her being a back row player (which she was not) not being able to cross the center line. I think he missed the play and failed to reward good hustle on the girl's part. Wasn't this a legal play. What do you say?

[Edited by refnrev on Feb 8th, 2005 at 11:37 PM]
It is not illegal for her to cross the center line outside the net, front row or back row. It is, however, a dead ball (under NFHS rules) once the ball fully crosses the net plane over or outside the antennae. Unless this girl crossed the center line and played a ball that was now behind her and still in the plane (not likely), then it sounds like the official awarded the correct team the rally, even though the call (sounds like he called center line violation?) should be out of bounds, not line violation.

And she *did* gain an advantage by being across the line...she entered non-playable area. If that's not an advantage, I don't know what is!
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the explanations. RR
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 07:21pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Felix, just to confuse things a little...if I am reading what you posted correctly, you are saying that a player may not cross the centerline extension and play back a ball that is still in the plane of the net/centerline extension outside the antenna? The way that I have had it interpreted to me is that both team's free space is playable area. Therefore a player could conceivably cross completely to the opponent's free space and play back a ball that is still in the plane of the centerline extension. I do not believe it is possible for it to be a playable area for one team and a non-playable area for the other.

BTW, congrats on being accepted into the MVC as an official.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Jan,

No, what I meant to say was it was unlikely that was what occurred, but that would probably be the only way in which she crossed the center line and the play would still be legal.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 10:54am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Gotcha, thanks, bro!