Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 16, 1999, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Hi everyone,

Our board had an interesting chat about the
following situation.

A1 is inbounding the ball (let's say from under their own basket, for visualization sake). The inbound pass is to A2, who is running towards the half court line. A2 jumps and catches the ball in midair and then lands with one foot in the front court
and then (disinctly) the other foot lands in the backcourt.

Now by the Federation case book (don't have the number with me, but I am certain this is the case), this is a legal play. However, probably based on older Federation rules, it looks like a violation.

Do you follow the rule in this case, or follow what seems fair ie. that the player had front court status followed by backcourt status?

Cheers,
David
Old Thu Dec 16, 1999, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Um, follow the rule (Rule 9-9 Exception 1 and Case 9.9D).

Why would penalize a legal play???
Old Thu Dec 16, 1999, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Question

As funny or weird as it looks, that is a very legal play. Like Ken said, why would you penalize it?
Old Thu Dec 16, 1999, 07:25pm
In Memoriam

Now by the Federation case book (don't have the number with me, but I am certain this is the case), this is a legal play. However, probably based on older Federation rules, it looks like a violation.

Do you follow the rule in this case, or follow what seems fair ie. that the player had front court status followed by backcourt status?

Cheers,
David[/quote]

NF allowed that rule for Offense a year after they allowed the Defense to do it.
mick

Old Fri Dec 24, 1999, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Don Shannon
David,
Rule Book page 78, Basketball Rules and Fundamentals, No.2
"Neither a team nor any player is ever in control during a dead ball, jump ball, throw-in, or when the ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal.
Great reading year after year".

------------------
Don
Old Sat Dec 25, 1999, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

This is too easy! 9-9 exception 1 (and 2 for a great defensive play) basically state that a player who catches a throw-in while airborne has a right to land with both feet prior establishing themself on the court. Thus with the first foot landing in the frontcourt does not mean anything as the other foot has not landed. Now the second foot lands in the backcourt - no violation.

If a player has a foot completely touching frontcourt and the other airborne then catches the ball then puts the airborne foot in the backcourt, this is a b/c violation. The difference between the two (and what the exception allows) is one is totally airborne and the other is not.

How about making this tougher? Let's say the airborne player who jumped from the frontcourt catches the ball and passes the ball to a teammate in the backcourt. What's the call? Is college and high school rules the same?
Old Wed Dec 29, 1999, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Without the NF book in hand, I'll venture an educated guess that the airborne player never establishes front/back-court position, so this sounds fine. Backcourt status is clearly established by second player, so start the 10-second count and play on. May just have to run down for the glove box rule book to dissect the wording of 9-9 exceptions section...
Old Wed Dec 29, 1999, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

When catching the ball in the air he established himself in front court.

If he lands then the exceptions to the rule apply.

However, if he passes to a teammate in the backcourt he has just violated.
Old Wed Dec 29, 1999, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

quote:
Originally posted by David Clausi on 12-16-1999 12:48 PM
Hi everyone,

Our board had an interesting chat about the
following situation.

A1 is inbounding the ball (let's say from under their own basket, for visualization sake). The inbound pass is to A2, who is running towards the half court line. A2 jumps and catches the ball in midair and then lands with one foot in the front court
and then (disinctly) the other foot lands in the backcourt.

Cheers,
David

Look at Federation Case Book Page 61, case 9.9A, this is your play and it is aviolation. It is the only exception to the throw in rule.
Old Thu Dec 30, 1999, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Richard,
you stated that in the case book on page 61 rule 9-9A is David's Play and a violation! That play is "Different" from that what David posed! Case book says "catches ball with one foot on the floor, then steps into backcourt". David's play says while in "Mid air catches the ball then lands first with one foot in front court and then second foot into backcourt. I belive that in David's play you have to establish front court status, and that would require "both feet and the ball" so its a "legal Play"!

------------------
Don
Old Fri Dec 31, 1999, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

Cool

The answer to this post can be found in the comic book rule book.(simplified & illustrated) It can be found on page 67. The reason I know where to find it, was I had a coach tell me that I missed a backcourt call for the same thing the other day. SO at halftime I had to find it for him, and show it to him. Of cousre we all know what the coach said next. " Well I had it called agaisnt me the other night, so who is right and who is wrong." I love that.
Old Fri Dec 31, 1999, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

To Alaska and Dennis, you guys are correct. I had the other call then other night, and it was a walk, so I did not distinguish when the play came up on the board, "mea culpa"

Thanks for the heads up. Lucky it happened here and not on the court. :-S