The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Legal play?

A1 is running to save the ball from going out-of-bounds ... A1 saves it, but in the process goes OOB ... A1 then returns to the floor with one foot established (or two) and is the first to touch.

legal play?
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 12:25am
(Something hilarious)

Yes.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Thanks! I knew it was ... the gym came unglued with me tonight on this one. Everyone thinks another player has to touch it.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 03:30am
Official Forum Member

Rule 7 Out of Bounds and The Throw-in
PLAYER OUT OF BOUNDS

7.1.1 SITUATION B: A1 blocks a pass near the end line. The ball falls to the floor inbounds, but A1, who is off balance, steps off the court. A1 returns inbounds, secures control of the ball and dribbles. RULING: Legal. A1 did not leave the court voluntarily and did not have control of the ball when he/she did. This situation is similar to one in which A1 makes a try from under the basket and momentum carries A1 off the court. If the try is unsuccessful, A1 may come back onto the court and regain control since A1 did not leave the court voluntarily and did not have control of the ball when he/she did.
7.1.1 SITUATION C: A1 blocks a pass near the sideline and the ball goes into A1's front court. A1's momentum carries him/her out of bounds. He/she immediately returns inbounds, secures control of the ball, dribbles, shoots, and scores. RULING: Legal. (4-35-1a; 7-1-2; 9-3)
7.1.1 SITUATION D: A1 jumps from inbounds to retrieve an errant pass near a boundary line. A1 catches the ball while in the air and tosses it back to the court. A1 lands out of bounds and (a) is the first to touch the ball after returning inbounds; (b) returns inbounds and immediately dribbles the ball; or (c) picks up the ball after returning to the court and then begins a dribble. RULING: Legal in (a) and (b). Illegal in (c) as the controlled toss of the ball to the court by A1 constitutes the start of a dribble, dribbling a second time after picking up the ball is an illegal dribble violation. (4-15-5; 4-15-6d; 4-35; 9-5)
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
Thanks! I knew it was ... the gym came unglued with me tonight on this one. Everyone thinks another player has to touch it.
That might be an NBA rule, and it is one of the most common myths in FED and NCAA ball.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
That might be an NBA rule, and it is one of the most common myths in FED and NCAA ball.

That and a player diving for a loose ball and sliding with it not being a travel. Had a coach jump down my shirt for that last night, I was C right in front of her bench and the player slid to a stop right in front of us both...she screams in my ear "HOW IS THAT NOT A TRAVEL!" Then when I tell her without looking at her "Coach she has every right to slide with that basketball and come to a stop" she goes "Geez I was just asking", ha! Also had a 5-second count on a player that was divided between two defenders on a switch and the other coach jumps me for that, "HOW CAN IT BE 5-SECONDS WHEN THEY SWITCH?!?!"...then I hear his assistant set him straight....wanted to really laugh on that one, insert foot in mouth....
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
That and a player diving for a loose ball and sliding with it not being a travel.
Yet another example of the NBA rules making our job more difficult. It is a travel in the NBA if a player slides and gains an advantage.
Quote:
Had a coach jump down my shirt for that last night, I was C right in front of her bench and the player slid to a stop right in front of us both...she screams in my ear "HOW IS THAT NOT A TRAVEL!" ....
HOW IS THAT NOT A TECHNICAL FOUL!

Quote:
Then when I tell her without looking at her "Coach she has every right to slide with that basketball and come to a stop" she goes "Geez I was just asking", ha! Also had a 5-second count on a player that was divided between two defenders on a switch and the other coach jumps me for that, "HOW CAN IT BE 5-SECONDS WHEN THEY SWITCH?!?!"...then I hear his assistant set him straight....wanted to really laugh on that one, insert foot in mouth....
Two in one night!?! You may wish to consider adopting the NV rule. If a coach complains about a call and is wrong on the rule, it is an automatic T.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Thanks everyone - and it's just one foot back in play, not two ... correct?
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
Thanks everyone - and it's just one foot back in play, not two ... correct?
Ask yourself what constitutes inbounds status versus OOB status.

Then check 4-35-1&2.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 11:03am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I agree with Nevada on the coach screaming in your ear. Screaming in my ear is pretty close to automatic for me, unless the gym is noisy and she's trying to call a timeout.