The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

White on your shoes

I was watching the Duke game last night and noticed that two of the officials had the white Nike swoosh on their shoes.

Is this allowed in your HS pools across the country? My pool is very strict on the all black rule...just wondering if this was an evolution across the country or just a college thing.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 01:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

They tell us that we should have all-black shoes, but no one really makes a big deal out of it all the time.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 01:00pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

A white Nike swoosh is acceptable. Although all black is preferred. The issue is often availability and size. If someone needs a 13 wide, and they're not available in all black, then you do your best.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 03:03pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
They tell us that we should have all-black shoes, but no one really makes a big deal out of it all the time.
+1

I just wear all black and only worry about me.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

I used to wear a pair of Adidas shoes that were all black with the exception of their trademark three stripes that were grey. I was told by an league observer that if I wanted to wear these, I needed to make the stripes black - either with black shoe polish or Sharpie. I utlimately ended up replacing these with the Reebok Zigs.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 03:07pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by egj13 View Post
I was watching the Duke game last night and noticed that two of the officials had the white Nike swoosh on their shoes.

This is what's wrong with officiating in this country. No discipline and a flagrant disregard for rules.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 03:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
I'm really glad this isn't a big deal where I am. Of course, my basketball shoes are the only ones that are all black. My baseball/football shoes sure aren't.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
This is what's wrong with officiating in this country. No discipline and a flagrant disregard for rules.
I agree. It represents everything that is wrong with BB officiating these days.

Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 03:20pm
beware big brother

i only wear new balance shoes. i have some foot problems and i have found that top end new balance shoes whether they are running shoes or basketball shoes are the only brand that i have never had an issue with. some years they have all black versions and some years they do not. this year i am wearing the new balance 907 in both my hs and college games. they are not close to being all black. nobody has said a word.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 03:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'm really glad this isn't a big deal where I am. Of course, my basketball shoes are the only ones that are all black. My baseball/football shoes sure aren't.
I worked my State Finals in Baseball and Football with white or gray all over my shoes and not a single person said a word to us. My football crew this last time in football wore the Adidas shoes you see the NCAA guys wear and made a conscious decision to do just that early in the year and not a single person said to us, "You cannot wear those shoes." They were the most comfortable shoes and we wore them in every turf game or good weather game we had in the last two years and certain did so in all post season games that year. We probably were the only crew in 2011 that had matching shoes with the white on them.

Now in basketball there have been guys that have worn shoes with a white shoosh or white marking and the Sports Administrator has said something to those guys in suggestive ways. But it has not prevented any of them working the games and one game a couple of years ago had two guys with white on their shoes in a Championship game. One of the guys worked his second Championship game and had white on his shoes both trips. We do hear people get talked about, but it does not change anything.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 03:37pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by egj13 View Post
John Adams has posted bulletins in the past expressing his displeasure with the amount of white showing on officials' shoes.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Jan 03, 2013 at 08:30pm.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 04:01pm
beware big brother

and as long as the people wearing white on their shoes get a very high percentage of their calls correct, control their games, and work well with the players and coaches, the same john adams will continue to give them ncaa tournament games.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 04:08pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Yup and yup.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Official working the court before my games last Sunday was wearing white sneakers, navy blue pants, a brown belt and had a yellow lanyard. Sort of puts the Nike swoosh into perspective. His shirt had a patch so I assume he knows, or should know, better.