The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Let me guess: You wear one or some combination of all of the above with regularity.

Maybe someone wears white socks and a belt for health reasons

The sneakers for health -- I'm good with that, i.e. running shoes whenever passable for rec/adult leagues, etc. Still doesn't look great and has you standing out to at least some people in the gym before the ball is even live.
And you would be mistaken.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekent View Post
Perhaps a tad bit unnecessary, uncalled for, and over-the-top?
Quote:
Let me guess: You wear one or some combination of all of the above with regularity.
I think it was unnecessary and over-the-top and I wear none of the above. And my shoes are all black. I wear black socks, and I go beltless,
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 12:13am
Do not give a damn!!

The reason the standard of all black shoes is stupid is becuase hardly anyone makes all black shoes anymore. And it is even harder to find a leather shoe on top of that. And since shoes are very personal in the style or confort, it is really hard to always get a shoe that fits everyone's needs and then be all-black.

That is why that standard is stupid. I do not care what the rulebook says when they need to get up with the times. And all those rules anyway vary by state which is why I see officials in other states wearing grey shirts or other garments that are not in the rules.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The reason the standard of all black shoes is stupid is becuase hardly anyone makes all black shoes anymore. And it is even harder to find a leather shoe on top of that. And since shoes are very personal in the style or confort, it is really hard to always get a shoe that fits everyone's needs and then be all-black.

That is why that standard is stupid. I do not care what the rulebook says when they need to get up with the times. And all those rules anyway vary by state which is why I see officials in other states wearing grey shirts or other garments that are not in the rules.

Peace
You make it sound a lot harder than it is...there are several all black shoes out there of many different fits. The only reason to insist otherwise is the "personal in style" reason. And that really isn't a good reason.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 01:37am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
You make it sound a lot harder than it is...there are several all black shoes out there of many different fits. The only reason to insist otherwise is the "personal in style" reason. And that really isn't a good reason.
I tried to buy some shoes from NikeID.com and even called their number and they could not make a basic shoe for me with leather and all black. You cannot find an all-black shoe in that brand even if you tried to go to a local Footlocker or Champs or any other shoe store. I even told the customer service person that they have to start making shoes available for officials or they will lose a consistent business. The woman was so sweet and said, "I will make sure I tell them that for the future."

And when I say style I am not talking about simply look. Some people wear high tops for example and in the Zigtechs do not make them in that style. Heck I tried to find that shoe in a non-patented leather and could not find them in any other style personally. They do make them in other styles, but they are not sold in the same places. A few people found them in outlet stores by accident. And if you try to buy the Zigtechs now, Reebox is not even making those shoes again until next season. So if you cannot get your size, you are S...O...L.

Despite all this talk, shoes are the most important piece of required uniform item. If you do not have the right shoes, you feet, knees and back can all hurt. If I wear a pair of pants with a belt or without I am not going to be sore for choosing the wrong style of pants. I have to wear orthotics that fit my in my shoes and even with the Zigtechs I had to get a difference size than I normally wear or would wear without them in my shoes. So yes style can matter if you want to find a shoe fits your feet and certain brands do a better job for some people than other brands. If it was up to me, the ReadyRef shoes would still be made and I would have never changed to another brand of shoes. But Converse went under and was bought out by another company and stopped making those shoes all together.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 07:47am
Esteemed Forum Member

When In Rome ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Our rules allow white on the shoes.
And a fine rule it is, for your local association.

Here, in my little corner of Connecticut, we are expected to wear all black shoes, and if you don't, you take a chance on any of 325 fellow officials giving you an average, or maybe a below average, rating on "Appearance" which makes up 10% of a nightly rating.

Maybe, some day, my local board will move into the twenty-first century and allow white logos on the shoes.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 07:55am.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 09:15am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:

You may very well officiate a terrific game, but it will be done to the unwitting end of combating a perception that you are a half-assed, slapdick official.
Probably only by people that don't know how to officiate their way out of a wet paper bag. But that's probably as unfair of a generalization as yours.

Times are changing and around here, it really doesn't matter if your shoes have some white on them to those that assign the games.

We're talking about shoes, not belted slacks (which unfairly or not, are judged to a different standard in most places) or white socks.

And just to cut you off at the pass, I wear all black shoes because I am rather limited in the shoes I can wear. I'd wear shoes with white on them if they fit me the best, as I do in football.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Probably because of a nasty letter sent to him by (Should I say it?) DevonMoore (Why not?).
No you shouldn't. That joke ran it's course about a week ago.

Oh -- I wear all-black shoes, black socks, no belt.

Don't particularly care what shoes my partners wear -- I do think some look "better" (to me) than others. If my "assigner" cared, then I'd care and either wear what was "suggested" or understand and live with the consequences.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 01:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

When In Rome, Always Listen To bob ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
All-black shoes ... If my "assigner" cared, then I'd care and either wear what was "suggested" or understand and live with the consequences.
Well put. That should end this thread.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)