The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 03:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
So what do you do if you are wearing different shoes? What does that have to do with looking like a team? Don't teams have different players with different shoes? Just asking.

Peace
I guess we have to wear the same brand shoes, pants, shirts, etc. And make sure if you use a noose your partner does, too. No Smitty for you!

I agree with you. Who cares?
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egj13 View Post
I was watching the Duke game last night and noticed that two of the officials had the white Nike swoosh on their shoes.

Is this allowed in your HS pools across the country?
Yes, the NCHSAA allows us to have white on our shoes. It allows us a greater selection of shoes to choose from.

Nobody in the stands or on the bench cares, or even notices, if we have white on our shoes. It's a silly standard.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 05:47pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Yes, the NCHSAA allows us to have white on our shoes. It allows us a greater selection of shoes to choose from.

Nobody in the stands or on the bench cares, or even notices, if we have white on our shoes. It's a silly standard.
I frankly did not even notice if any of the officials at your tournament had white on their shoes. I think there is too much emphasis on stuff that doesn't matter. Generally, it seems to be by those who may not have game management skills.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 07:00pm
We don't rent pigs

I've gotta ask:

Nobody in the stands or on the bench cares about white on our shoes, but they do care if we have on a belt?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 07:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

My New Best Friend ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Nobody in the stands or on the bench cares about white on our shoes, but they do care if we have on a belt?
Hey? How do I "friend" just another ref? What do I have to click on? Is there a "like" button somewhere?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 07:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A Travesty ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
John Adams has posted bulletins in the past expressing his displeasure with the amount of white showing on officials' shoes.
Probably because of a nasty letter sent to him by (Should I say it?) DevonMoore (Why not?).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
I frankly did not even notice if any of the officials at your tournament had white on their shoes. I think there is too much emphasis on stuff that doesn't matter. Generally, it seems to be by those who may not have game management skills.
Most have chosen not to since we wear the gray pinstripes. The white kinda clashes. I've looked for Zigs with white but haven't found any.

I wore the Zigs with white on them in football. The white on the shoes with the black slacks w/white stripes pops.

Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
People notice. You can pretend they don't if it makes you feel better about choosing to look sloppy, but it doesn't change the reality.

If you wear non-black sneakers, white socks, non-black shorts, a belt, sneaks with noticeable white, etc., you look like a hack. Plain and simple.

There's no two ways about it and the dismissal of such a notion is only done by those who, for reasons all their own, choose not to conform to a very reasonable dress code.

You may very well officiate a terrific game, but it will be done to the unwitting end of combating a perception that you are a half-assed, slapdick official.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
People notice. You can pretend they don't if it makes you feel better about choosing to look sloppy, but it doesn't change the reality.

If you wear non-black sneakers, white socks, non-black shorts, a belt, sneaks with noticeable white, etc., you look like a hack. Plain and simple.

There's no two ways about it and the dismissal of such a notion is only done by those who, for reasons all their own, choose not to conform to a very reasonable dress code.

You may very well officiate a terrific game, but it will be done to the unwitting end of combating a perception that you are a half-assed, slapdick official.
Perhaps a tad bit unnecessary, uncalled for, and over-the-top?

Things vary from area to area and some probably make exceptions based on health or extraordinary circumstances. To presume your opinion is the correct and only legitimate one is ludicrous.

Last edited by rekent; Sun Jan 06, 2013 at 08:23pm.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 08:19pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

The rules specify entirely black shoes and our state does as well.
(black shoes with black laces, I believe are the words)

The rulebook doesn't mention a belt. Our state makes allowance for one.
"A belt, if worn, shall be black."

I have no problem with the concept of obeying a dress code. It's unwritten rules, which usually vary from place to place, which are problematic.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wearing black officiating shoes with a white whoosh or three white stripes doesn't make anyone look like sloppy.

Quote:
No one said you should wear non-black sneakers, white socks, non-black shorts or a belt. So please, stop being ridiculous.

Wearing black officiating shoes with a white whoosh or three white stripes doesn't make anyone look like a hack.

Quote:
Excuse me that's a very ignorant opinion. MLB, NFL and NBA officials wear shoes with white on them. NCAA officials in a wide range of sports wear shoes with white on them. NFHS soccer, baseball and softball officials have worn white on their shoes for years. It's stupid that this black only be applied to basketball officials. S-t-u-p-i-d.

Quote:
I think I've made my point. So move into the 21st century and stop being a half-assed, slapdick old fart.

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sun Jan 06, 2013 at 08:41pm.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekent View Post
Perhaps a tad bit unnecessary, uncalled for, and over-the-top?
Let me guess: You wear one or some combination of all of the above with regularity.

Maybe someone wears white socks and a belt for health reasons

The sneakers for health -- I'm good with that, i.e. running shoes whenever passable for rec/adult leagues, etc. Still doesn't look great and has you standing out to at least some people in the gym before the ball is even live.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 08:43pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref3808 View Post
Official working the court before my games last Sunday was wearing white sneakers, navy blue pants, a brown belt and had a yellow lanyard. Sort of puts the Nike swoosh into perspective. His shirt had a patch so I assume he knows, or should know, better.

Whenever MTD, Jr., officiates and I am not officiating that night I go with him to his game. I always (with apologies to the late J. Dallas Shirley) pack my gear even though his partners have always shown up, UNTIL: I went to one of Mark, Jr.'s game (boys' H.S. jr. varsity) last year and I did not take my gear (Bonnie, my better half) admonished me for not taking my gear, but I assured her that I wouldn't need it). Guess what? Mark's partner did not show up. Mark had packed a second shirt and had extra lanyards and whistles; the AD found me a pair of white low-cut sneakers; and I wore the khaki slacks and brown belt that I had wore to the game. I also proceede to call the first five fouls of the game, . A good time was had by all, and the home school's AD and the league assigner was happy I was there to fill in.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I have no problem with the concept of obeying a dress code. It's unwritten rules, which usually vary from place to place, which are problematic.
Nor do I. And our rules allow white on the shoes.

Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 08:46pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bktballref View Post
nor do i. And our rules allow white on the shoes.
+1

Lonesome Dove