Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
3 Ts so far this year.

2 for adding numbers to the book in the waning moments of the game when the scrubs were being subbed in.

1 on a coach for ABS.
2 different games or the same game?

If it's the same game, is that 1 T or 2?

I thought book administrations were 1 T no matter how many infractions.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
I am finding that the longer I referee, the fewer "T"s I give. 4 years ago, it was 20 for the season about 60 games with church leagues and HS.

Last year I gave about 7 and I didn't have much of a choice. They were by the book Ts.

What I mean by that is, a kid yells the F word, a coach tried to show me up yelling at me, so forth and so on. I have avoided a few by being patient this year.

So far this year 1. That's about 20 games into the season.
Sounds about right.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Can you show me where that is in the rule book coach?"
I turned to him and told him I don't care how much time is left or what the score is, because his player had been warned and he knew it.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 05:20pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I try to be judicious about T warnings to players. If you go straight to the "Triple Dog Dare" on the other team, that can get you in trouble. I prefer to speak to the coach about "Number 23" getting himself into trouble if he keeps it(fill in the blank) up.
I had one partner yell at a player for the whole gym to hear about him being a disgrace to himself, his team, and the whole school. He didn't want to T him up because I already had earlier. If i could have T'd my partner, that would have been the moment.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 05:34pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I've only given one to a player so far this yr. "Son, Thy protesteth too much."

I did have a P WHACK both coaches in one game. Made for a fairly tranquil second half! IOW, it served its purpose.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 06:06pm
Back from the DL

Had zero Ts this year until Monday, when I had two.

JVG, FOUR delay-of-game violations (all breaking the plane), one for the visitors, then three for the home team, including a back-to-back pair.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 06:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
I try to be judicious about T warnings to players. If you go straight to the "Triple Dog Dare" on the other team, that can get you in trouble. I prefer to speak to the coach about "Number 23" getting himself into trouble if he keeps it(fill in the blank) up.
I had one partner yell at a player for the whole gym to hear about him being a disgrace to himself, his team, and the whole school. He didn't want to T him up because I already had earlier. If i could have T'd my partner, that would have been the moment.
I usually am less tolerant of players and more tolerant of coaches. I also will talk to players directly. Maybe that is not a good strategy, but I try to appeal to the player's common sense that if no other reason get them to realize they will lose this fight their want to have with officials. This used to work a lot early in my career, works very little now to the same effectiveness. It also would be nice if partners I have had would address these issues equally too. I have had a lot of partners that just let players say all kinds of things. Often time my comments to players are not about me at all.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I give more to players because they tend to not listen even when warned.
I give more to players because they don't get much, if any, leeway.
(Just like assistants)
Richland, WA
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 08:33pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp
3 Ts so far this year.

2 for adding numbers to the book in the waning moments of the game when the scrubs were being subbed in.

1 on a coach for ABS.
Quote:
2 different games or the same game?

If it's the same game, is that 1 T or 2?

I thought book administrations were 1 T no matter how many infractions.
2 different games.
First one was a varsity game, about 2 minutes left on the clock. Visiting Coach was incensed, claiming that the home scorekeeper 'copied the names and numbers off the varsity roster, and NOT the names he had in his scorebook'. Home scorekeeper (the AD, incidentally), claimed that he was never given the visitors scorebook. That was fun. (He had to add a second number to the scorebook a minute later, and the Home Coach wanted a second T.

You are correct; only one technical is given to a team for roster issues, regardless of how many changes need to be made. (10-1-2)

The second one was in a JV game 3 days later. Coach was completely understanding and even apologetic, because "it's my fault, I didn't give the scorekeeper the correct list". That game, incidentally, also happened to be the game where I gave out the ABS T (to the other coach).
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

0 T's so far this year. I give about 2 a year. As my eyes get worse, so does my hearing. Sorry to bore you.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

I didn't give the t... but its a pretty good story. Got a last minute call to do a big varsity 730 tilt on a Friday night.. team a is a big AA school with a big ole loud mouth, unpopular to the refs coach, against an A team... since the A team was home.. turns into a 2 man game rather then a 3 man had it been at the AA school.. working with a big time ref.. this is my big break so I'm nervous as you could imagine... got a lot of tips from fellow refs who worked games for this clown... so I had a good idea how I was going to approach the situation if anything arose...

The game was a good up and down contest.. the whole first quarter and mid second quarter go without incident. Team A has a big 6'5 linebacking looking kid who gets the ball down the weak side post... I come ball side and team AA has a little guy come from behind and whack down on team A big man... I come up with the foul... I could have passed on it because it was ball/little arm but I blew and came out strong. Coach AA was not too happy(but he never is with officials)... I went and reported... went to my position as it was one and one...

The next thing I hear is TWEEEETTT technical foul... "But I wasn't talking to you... I was talking to him.. why can't he defend himself?" Turns out that as I walked away.. the coach said to no one in particular... "Go back to the freshman level" My partner was obviously not having any of this and whacked him right away... Now the coach is notorious for this type of behavior but I thought it was great that the vet took care of his rook.. now the question is..

If you would have heard what the coach said as the rook how would you have reacted?

There were no other incidents from him the rest of the game
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 12:48am
Keeper of the HAMMER

That's a T in my game. Would probably be my easiest T of the year.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 08:56am
Eschew obfuscation.

Last week I had quite the string of T's in my games (not all were given out by me)...

I don't call much HS ball, but I had 6 HS girls games for holiday tournaments last week. In my first game, we had to warn the coach at halftime for officiating from the sidelines too much. Two minutes into the 3rd quarter there was the best block of the game on his girl in the lane. He says, very loudly, "FOOO-ULLL!" WHACK. Easy one. Later on, my partner whacks a girl for arguing a foul call. Two T's in my first game. Oh, and after our second game, the coach was waiting for us in the hospitality room to talk to us about how inconstant we were during his game. We didn't have that, and a special report was filed to the state for his actions after the game (he is also the AD at his school... bush league).

My third game had a "fight" (one girl took a swing and hit the ball while the other girl called her a female dog). T'd both of them up and ejected the one for taking a swing. My partner later whacked a girl for throwing her arms in the air after a foul call on her.

In my sixth and final game, we had two different playing styles. One team pressed and played man, while the other team played a 2-3 sagging zone. Needless to say, the fouls were a little lopsided because of there being two different defenses run. Well, the assistant coach (who was more or less the head coach) who was losing in the foul count race couldn't figure it out. We warned her in the first half about complaining about the foul counts (they were 6-0 at the time). In between the third and fourth quarters, she came out of her huddle and screamed, "The fouls are 8 to 2!" Well that warranted a simultaneous whacking from two of us. She continued on about how terrible we are, and she was sent packing. The head coach apologized to us for her assistant's actions after the game...

What a week!
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 09:26am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
That's a T in my game. Would probably be my easiest T of the year.
Agreed. WHACK!

Glad your partner took care of you. It burns me to no end when a partner will let a coach or player slide on something because they were saying it about me, especially when the partner feels the need to tell you all about it after the game or at half time.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 09:33am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by the24kid View Post
If you would have heard what the coach said as the rook how would you have reacted?
T, as in team. Remember, your partner is on your team.