The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

One of the veteran officials I deeply respect.. when he asked me what I would have done had I heard the comment rather then my partner hearing the comment I told him I would have whacked him. He told me it was a good option but then put this idea in my head... he said that for a person my age (early twenties), he thinks I would have gained a lot of respect from the coach, since nobody heard the comment in the gym since the gym was loud, if I had gone up to him and said " Coach, I will not tolerate comments like that. If I hear something like that again it will be a technical foul" and then jogged away... anybody like that response over a quick t?
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 06:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the24kid View Post
One of the veteran officials I deeply respect.. when he asked me what I would have done had I heard the comment rather then my partner hearing the comment I told him I would have whacked him. He told me it was a good option but then put this idea in my head... he said that for a person my age (early twenties), he thinks I would have gained a lot of respect from the coach, since nobody heard the comment in the gym since the gym was loud, if I had gone up to him and said " Coach, I will not tolerate comments like that. If I hear something like that again it will be a technical foul" and then jogged away... anybody like that response over a quick t?
No.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 06:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
And then he would have continued with his BS and if you T's him for something else, not as personal then he would have accused you of taking his comments personally. I agree if no one hears the comments you have more leeway and you can say some things to make a point. But I have no problem with a T because he is trying to directly insult you. I started officiating in my early to mid-20s too and sometimes you have to take care of business. Because even if you said something like suggested, does not mean it would not escalate. And then on video you would be seen as being aggressive and out of line if the right eyes are watching. You might have been seen as baiting the coach with what you said. It would be a he said, he said situation and why deal with those facts.

Not sure if this applies to your area, but where I work we pass a lot of schools to work a game. You will be around a lot longer than most coaches and if you do not have his respect, you are not going to get it by having words with him after an inappropriate statement on his part.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I disagree and would have told this veteran to grow some integrity and the proverbial sac that is needed to adjudicate and make tough decisions when needed. If anything you would have lost respect. He's a coach, not your friend, and you are an official. He insulted you and made it very personal and demeaning. There is nothing that needs to be said to him except take a seat for this here T you so thoroughly deserve.

I'd rather give a T and second guess myself whether or not it was good than NOT give one and regret it later. I can always apologize for an undeserving T and learn and move on, but I set a bad precedent when I make myself a doormat.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 11:03pm
Ok is the new good

Put it in the Book Mister!

In my 3rd year and have never given a "T" to a coach yet..I am a big believer of issuing a bench warning and putting it in da book and so far that has done the trick to get my message across.

Question: If I issue a warning, is it wrong for my partner to then have a chat with that coach? Does it look like partner is selling me out?
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 11:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
In my 3rd year and have never given a "T" to a coach yet..I am a big believer of issuing a bench warning and putting it in da book and so far that has done the trick to get my message across.

Question: If I issue a warning, is it wrong for my partner to then have a chat with that coach? Does it look like partner is selling me out?
Maybe that's their way of never calling a T on a coach either.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 11:46pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:

And your rule citation for this is what?
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 12:05am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
None, he's just making it up as he goes along.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 04:36am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
I know people that do this, I think it is unnecessary but people do this. It was something that came from college and was encouraged, but never at the NF level or at least in the rulebook or rulings. I am sure some states wanted this done.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If I hear something like that again it will be a technical foul"?
No, not, never, don't say something like this, to a coach or a player. If, for some reason, you don't follow through when "again" comes up, you're toast. A comment like that is designed o test what you're made of. It was a personal comment, not "that call sucked." T the guy and be done with it. No need for it to be a T with a lot of histrionics attached. Just do it and walk away.

Quote:

You'll forgive me but I find it pretty unusual that in your first three years no coach has done something that rises to the level of a T.

As to part two, did you ask your partners why they decided to go have a chat with the coach?
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 07:00am.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 08:19am
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
No, not, never, don't say something like this, to a coach or a player. If, for some reason, you don't follow through when "again" comes up, you're toast. A comment like that is designed o test what you're made of. It was a personal comment, not "that call sucked." T the guy and be done with it. No need for it to be a T with a lot of histrionics attached. Just do it and walk away.
I agree... never use, "If you do it again, I'll penalize you..." It kind of reminds me when Joe Madden was ejected from a baseball game in 2007 for saying, "I love you" to an umpire:

Quote:
Barrett told him that one more word would trigger his ejection, so the skipper simply replied, "I love you." Sticking to his guns, Barrett tossed him.

"I ejected him and then realized, 'What do I put in my report, that I ejected him because he told me he loved me?' That just stumped me," Barrett said. "I had never had a manager tell me he loved me before."
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 08:48am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeschmit View Post
I agree... never use, "If you do it again, I'll penalize you..." It kind of reminds me when Joe Madden was ejected from a baseball game in 2007 for saying, "I love you" to an umpire:
Madden had it coming and he knew it, based on the interview afterwards.

I've used such phraseology, but only as an absolute last resort and very, very sparingly. And of course, I was prepared to follow it up.

About 3 years ago, I worked a game where the visiting coach was about the worst howler monkey I've seen. In retrospect, he should've been ejected from the game, but I decided to give it one last try before giving him the gate. (He had already been whacked in the first quarter and were were in the second quarter at this point.)

I walked up to him and told him, "You are really close to being ejected from this game. You don't want that and I really don't either. But it will happen if you don't knock it off."

At this point he shut it down completely. He pretty much stopped coaching at this point, too. He got relieved of his duties shortly thereafter. Still, my partner and I both told ourselves later that he really had it coming and we did him a favor that he really didn't deserve.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
2 different games.
First one was a varsity game, about 2 minutes left on the clock. Visiting Coach was incensed, claiming that the home scorekeeper 'copied the names and numbers off the varsity roster, and NOT the names he had in his scorebook'. Home scorekeeper (the AD, incidentally), claimed that he was never given the visitors scorebook. That was fun. (He had to add a second number to the scorebook a minute later, and the Home Coach wanted a second T.
When the R meets the coaches, we take the book to the coach and say " Coach are these your players for tonight and are their numbers correct?"

They almost always say "yes". Case closed.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 10:47am
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
When the R meets the coaches, we take the book to the coach and say " Coach are these your players for tonight and are their numbers correct?"

They almost always say "yes". Case closed.
I mark through the remaining spaces and write down how many players are listed. I then take the book to both coaches and have them verify their players, numbers and starters. If they are satisfied I have them initial at the bottom.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 10:55am
Get away from me, Steve.

All of this (book checking and verification) is local.

Back when I officiated in TN, we took the book back to the other side of the court and verified every number on the floor and ensured that the book was perfect.

Now, I count up the total number of players and only concern myself if there are more warming up than there are listed in the book. It's on the coach if there's an error beyond this.

I like putting the responsibility on the coach, myself.