The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Fire all Big East Officials!!!

Of course I kid with the headline, but it was a bad day for the Big East on the football field as well! Giving Michigan a first down when the ball was clearly short! Where is the outrage? Those officials must be fired, raked over the coals, and then tarred and feathered!!!! I didn't see anything in the football forum on this. Happy New Year to all.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
There are 5 CEs. Which is this?
Ah -- I thought you were (only) talking about "going the wrong way."

The GT part is an interesting issue.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 01:07pm
Huck Finn

Yeah, I am in agreement with most on this issue. The officials made a mistake...or two, but their body of work is way too large for this to impact them in a big way. This is not a Junior High game, these guys operate on a high level in pressure situations frequently. I think they should be allowed to make a mistake or two...

I don't know about the other two, but I have met Karl Hess and he is a good dude from what I know. If the OP has different opinions about any of the officials, I hope it is based on something substantial and not just comparing their schedule to their mistake. Most "Big Time" officials would rather be carted off the court than lose the big $$$. That being the case, I'm not sure how or why they big-timed this play.

Sending the email in the tone the OP sent it wasn't the smartest thing to do. Even though he said he sent it to Art Hyland also, sending it to John Adams makes it likely Mr. Hyland would get it also since they work so closely together. I didn't see this thread before the email reply was posted, but I think John Adams deserves some credit for communicating so much with officials.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

While we are firing the 3 officials from this game why are we not giving any love to the football officials in the Mich/ sc state game on the first down measurement ruling.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 01:32pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
While we are firing the 3 officials from this game why are we not giving any love to the football officials in the Mich/ sc state game on the first down measurement ruling.
Probably because this is the basketball forum.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Because devon moore isn't a SC fan???
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That was certainly one of the most bizarre things I think I've seen in sports officiating. He even looked at it again after Spurrier suggested he do so and he still indicated first down. Not sure why the challenge didn't overturn it either. The spot was so clearly short of the marker.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

It was a TRAVESTY!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonMoore View Post
Again, some of you are more concerned about me and my intentions without regard to the CONTENT of the letter. My affiliation or intent is not the issue here. Supportive of the officials you suggest? Misapplication of rules by three FF officials is UNACCEPTABLE! How can you be supportive of that?

Instead of coming at me, I have yet to read one response that justifies their actions. Where's the accountability? You never know if this ONE game costs Uconn its place in the BE tourney or selection committee seeding...one never knows the IMPACT of our mistakes as officials.

Yes I beleive some work too much; how can they concentrate and maintain their intensity night in and night out? It is too hard.

It was not a simple error...as in judgement. It was a MISSED APPLIED RULE by 3 guys who are supposed to be the best. Karl Hess can't tell me anything at a future camp since he can't even line players up correctly and doesn't know the third article of rule 5. Has he even read the rule book? But hey, ALL of them are equally at fault. It was a TRAVESTY...ask UConn if THEY feel that way.

Regarding death sentence: most everyone on here does not use his/her real name because you really cannot say what you want without fear of retailiation in some form or fashion. Period.
I agree with you Devon, They are more concerned with attacking you than addressing the real problem. But that it what officials do. They never make a mistake it is always someone elses fault.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 02:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
I agree with you Devon, They are more concerned with attacking you than addressing the real problem. But that it what officials do. They never make a mistake it is always someone elses fault.
I tried to stay out of this, but I cannot any longer. If you want to write a letter to John Adams, why are you posting this here? It is not like any of us are going to do anything about this. It was stupid on so many levels to post this here. It does not help your career and it certainly does not change the situation. If he did not want anyone to say anything to him, then do not post this garbage here. Grow a pair for sure. We always discuss, debate or dissect plays by officials and point out what they do wrong. We had a team control foul called and the officials in a Big Ten game allowed FTs to be shot. That is basic stuff and I would not think of writing a letter to the supervisor or John Adams to complain and certain if I did would not post it here. Actually what happen in this play was more likely to happen to all of us than what happened in the Big Ten game I referenced.

Go somewhere that really cares about this crap. Otherwise this is just crap.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I tried to stay out of this, but I cannot any longer. If you want to write a letter to John Adams, why are you posting this here? It is not like any of us are going to do anything about this. It was stupid on so many levels to post this here. It does not help your career and it certainly does not change the situation. If he did not want anyone to say anything to him, then do not post this garbage here. Grow a pair for sure. We always discuss, debate or dissect plays by officials and point out what they do wrong. We had a team control foul called and the officials in a Big Ten game allowed FTs to be shot. That is basic stuff and I would not think of writing a letter to the supervisor or John Adams to complain and certain if I did would not post it here. Actually what happen in this play was more likely to happen to all of us than what happened in the Big Ten game I referenced.

Go somewhere that really cares about this crap. Otherwise this is just crap.

Peace
Really? I've seen two high school games in the past three weeks where the officials have mistakenly granted a 1-1 on what should have been team control fouls. (Loose balls without a possession change, and the "offense" fouls trying to get the loose ball).
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 02:25pm
This IS My Social Life

We're really not like that . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
No, that's not typically what officials do. What's typical usually takes two routes:

#1) Opinion is posted. Responses on one side and then the other are given. The tide shifts one way, then the other, then usually settles on a reliable, trustworthy conclusion. Awaiting the end of this process often yields a valuable reward, though not always in agreement with the original poster.
#2) Opinion is posted. Response differing from the opinion of the poster is given. Original poster reacts instantly. Sensing the blood in the water, other responders pile on. Poster reacts again and again and again, wondering how and why anyone can possibly differ from his originally expressed opinion. Original poster stomps away, mad at the world and everyone on the forum.

Seems as though that one route was chosen, with the predictable outcome foreseeable. And so you have it.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 02:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
Really? I've seen two high school games in the past three weeks where the officials have mistakenly granted a 1-1 on what should have been team control fouls. (Loose balls without a possession change, and the "offense" fouls trying to get the loose ball).
Since the rule has been implemented, I have never seen a single time where FTs were shot inappropriately. And really not a single time since the rule was clarified to the throw-in, I still have yet to see this situation. Usually someone talks to someone and prevents this even if it is on a loose ball. And what does all of this prove? I only can speak for what I have seen. And I am a gym rat for sure.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 02:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
No, that's not typically what officials do. What's typical usually takes two routes:

#1) Opinion is posted. Responses on one side and then the other are given. The tide shifts one way, then the other, then usually settles on a reliable, trustworthy conclusion. Awaiting the end of this process often yields a valuable reward, though not always in agreement with the original poster.
#2) Opinion is posted. Response differing from the opinion of the poster is given. Original poster reacts instantly. Sensing the blood in the water, other responders pile on. Poster reacts again and again and again, wondering how and why anyone can possibly differ from his originally expressed opinion. Original poster stomps away, mad at the world and everyone on the forum.

Seems as though that one route was chosen, with the predictable outcome foreseeable. And so you have it.
I think this usually happens with newbees to this site. Most veterans to this site and forum have rather reasonable discussion and debate over plays and situations. I guess this guy thought everyone was going to side with him and that did not happen he tried to make it about him.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

It's times like this that I swear Teddy Roosevelt wrote "the man in the arena" for officials.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

This thread was doomed from the get-go.