The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

UConn vs Marquette Fiasco (Letter to John Adams and Coordinators)

Yes, this is my first post, but I am a frequent reader of the forum. This fact should not diminish the contents or opinion within my letter as free speech is a right.

Many of you will disagree with my letter, but I stand by the fact that misapplication of the rules is UNACCEPTABLE and these guys should be held accountable regardless of who they are...for IF they are not disciplined, then NONE of us should be disciplined if we ever misapply a rule.

So what if I don't attach my name to this letter...that would be a death sentence.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Letter to John Adams and Selected Coordinators of Officials:

I am certain by now that all of you are aware of the travesty that occurred in the UConn at Marquette game on January 1, 2013. If you aren’t, let me briefly remind you of the events: The officials, Karl Hess, Michael Stephens, and Mike Stuart lined the players up for the jump ball heading in the wrong direction to start the overtime period. This was not the players’ fault! It was not realized by the officials until AFTER a goaltending call was made by Stuart, who was in the lead, opposite position on the floor. The officials conferred and not only disallowed the goaltending call (saying it wasn’t a try), but used the alternating possession arrow to give the ball to Marquette at their baseline for a throw-in. Error, compounding by another error, followed by a third error!!

I watched this game in utter frustration because each of these officials have worked the Final Four and are supposed to be three of the best not only in the Big East, but the country as well. I find it hard to believe that the THIRD article in Rule 5 was not known by these officials. It is apparent to me that these officials are refereeing on reputation and not ability. It is also apparent to me that when you see the number of games these officials work (bbstate.com), there is more arrogance demonstrated by these “Big Time” officials than there is concentration and knowledge of the rules.

This was a travesty for ALL basketball officiating! Even though this fiasco happened in a Big East game, I am curious as to what excuse the coordinators will arrive at to defend these officials who also work in the SEC, ACC, Big 12, A-10, C-USA, and other conferences. Quite frankly, there is NO EXCUSE for this to happen in ANY game at ANY level. Officials who referee jr. high girls know how to line players up correctly to start an overtime period and more importantly, jr. high officials know this rule. Judgment is judgment, but knowledge of the rules is paramount. I am certain that each of these officials will be on TV later this weekend in another "BIG Time" game in a BCS conference.

Additionally, disallowing the basket may have cost UConn the game; had this basket been scored as it should have been, UConn would have only been down one versus three and would have had an opportunity to win the game versus attempting to tie the game.

It is unacceptable that officials at such a high level cannot adjudicate rules properly…and I am certain that each one will in fact return to the NCAA tourney, not because of their ability, but because of their reputation! But now their reputations should be that they do not know the rules of the game no matter how “Big Time” they think they are!!

Where is the accountablity? If this had happened with young officials, they would all probably be fired.