The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 09:16am
Get away from me, Steve.

We long switch where it makes sense. If I call a charge, I'm usually initiating a switch since I'd rather come up and properly report rather than use semaphore flags from the end line. If it's a rebounding foul and I'm the trail (for example) and we're going long, we aren't switching.

I work with a handful of people and any switch that feels awkward we usually don't do unless one of us wants to get out of the T/L position and then that official initiates a switch.

When in Rome....
Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Maybe it's just the soccer referee in me, but I just don't understand all the work put into avoiding long switches on fouls. There isn't anything really long on a basketball court.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 10:32am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
Maybe it's just the soccer referee in me, but I just don't understand all the work put into avoiding long switches on fouls. There isn't anything really long on a basketball court.
It's not the distance. To me, there are switches that look/feel natural and those that look/feel forced.

Let's say I call a foul as the trail in the front court, table side. Ball's going to be inbounded at the bench, front court, table-side.

What's the sense in me calling the foul and then forcing a switch after reporting? Give me the ball and let's inbound and get the game going again. Instead, I'm supposed to report the foul and then become the lead opposite the table?

I'm happy to do either, but it just makes sense to me to not switch in this situation.

I get that this isn't a long switch -- not all goofy switches are long switches, IMO.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 11:45am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It's not the distance. To me, there are switches that look/feel natural and those that look/feel forced.

Let's say I call a foul as the trail in the front court, table side. Ball's going to be inbounded at the bench, front court, table-side.

What's the sense in me calling the foul and then forcing a switch after reporting? Give me the ball and let's inbound and get the game going again. Instead, I'm supposed to report the foul and then become the lead opposite the table?

I'm happy to do either, but it just makes sense to me to not switch in this situation.

I get that this isn't a long switch -- not all goofy switches are long switches, IMO.
Plus 110%.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

The point of switches is that it ensures that both teams get relatively the same coverage from each official through out the game. In 3-man, live ball rotations usually make that happen any way, however. But, in 2-man, if you didn't switch, you'd be lead for the same team for possibly the entire quarter/half.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 01:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The point of switches is that it ensures that both teams get relatively the same coverage from each official through out the game. In 3-man, live ball rotations usually make that happen any way, however. But, in 2-man, if you didn't switch, you'd be lead for the same team for possibly the entire quarter/half.
Let's say I buy what you're selling: Why don't we switch then on shooting fouls where the trail makes the call?

We switch often enough. No reason to do so on long switches and on switches where things feel forced. Leave it up to the crew to decide which switches make sense and which ones don't.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 01:26pm
Back from the DL

Board assignment: We switch on all fouls.
Youth/non-board assignment: That can vary.

Still, why WOULDN'T you switch in sitch 1, since the lead has to report the foul, anyway?
Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 01:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I'd Rather Fight Than Switch ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Same here in my little corner of Connecticut. In the Catholic middle school games, we switch when convenient.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 01:54pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post

Still, why WOULDN'T you switch in sitch 1, since the lead has to report the foul, anyway?
I usually do, personally. However, this is one where we don't in 3-person (unless working NCAAM) and that's trickled down into 2-person, too.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

we're lazy

Not just our local association, but the state has officially said no to long switches.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

We didn't long switch in Texas...so it was a big jump for going to a state that's fully by the book NFHS mechanics.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 02:22pm
Archaic Power Monger

Here the only time we switch in two whistle is when the lead calls a shooting foul.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 03:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

907op[

As Bob J said we do not long switch here, but guys screw this up all the time. It is no big deal and no one other than officials care. Actually I have never seen an tournament director, clinician (and I am one) or assignor care. We are human and things get screwed up sometimes. I think some worry way too much about what a book or someone says rather than just officiating sometimes.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe it was just directed to me, but the clinician/assignor was concerned that I did not switch for either of the plays.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 05:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Switching ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think some worry way too much about what a book or someone says rather than just officiating sometimes.
Proper mechanics is a part of good officiating. Proper switching is a part of good mechanics. When I work a game, I have three "official" sets of eyes watching me, my partner, and the two junior varsity officials, who will go home that night and give me a rating. This rating, along with some other criteria (peer rating is 80%), will determine my ranking among my 325 colleagues, which will determine the number of games, as well as the level of the games, that I'm assigned the following season. Mechanics makes up 10% of the "nightly" rating, and proper switching is a part of proper mechanics. So if the "book" says that I'm supposed to switch after every foul, even long switches, then I'm switching after every foul. After thirty-two years, it's automatic for me. Why not do it the proper way? Really. Why not? I'm getting $89.76 to work the game, so why would I try to save a few steps by avoiding a long switch, that, in the long run, could cost me a few assignments next year? Why?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 05:50pm.