The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 27, 2012, 10:06pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Wade Suspended - Intentional Kick or Not? (Video)

What you got Ref?

Dwayne Wade's shin meets Ramon Sessions' groin
Old Thu Dec 27, 2012, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Looks intentional-ish to me.
Old Thu Dec 27, 2012, 11:16pm
beware big brother

Looks intentional to me. Wade should have been tossed from the game. BTW, intentional-ish........way to go out on a limb and make a definitive statement. Hope you dont use that one when explaining plays to coaches.
Old Thu Dec 27, 2012, 11:31pm
Official & Member

No doubt...intentional move. Really D-Wade? Kicking a guy? What a girl. Four games minimum without pay if I'm the commish.
Old Thu Dec 27, 2012, 11:36pm
NFHS Official

That's intentional.
Old Thu Dec 27, 2012, 11:44pm
(Something hilarious)

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
What a girl.
Really? I've officiated girls' high school basketball since 2002 and women's college basketball since 2007, and I've never seen an intentional kick to the groin in any of my games, or games I've watched.

Last edited by HawkeyeCubP; Thu Dec 27, 2012 at 11:47pm.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, that was intentional. Not exactly a natural move after being grabbed by an opponent. My first thought was: If he'd done it with a fist, would there have been a call? I wish the crew (Tom Washington, Sean Corbin, Lauren Holtkamp) had at least gotten together and talked about the play and I'm sure they do as well. I'm thinking the league office isn't too happy with them for doing nothing.

At least if they'd called a flagrant they could have gone to video review. Otherwise it didn't seem to rise to the level of the other review criteria, though this might come close:

Quote:
a hostile physical interaction that is not part of normal basketball play and that does not immediately resolve by itself or with the intervention of game officials or players

Again, it might come close but everyone seemed to break away within 20 seconds or so.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

It was intentional, and nothing new from him. I can think of 4 or 5 plays in the last 18 months with him and only Joey Crawford has hit him with anything outside of a normal foul.

2011 Eastern Semis vs Boston- ended with a Rondo dislocated elbow.

2012(? it was last year's) All-Star game- Questionable, but a Kobe broken nose causes concern, and after Dwight's ejection for contact above the shoulders I don't know how it seems like it should have been looked at.

2012 last half regular season vs Bulls- Rip Hamilton clears some space, Wade responds with a forearm shiv to the chest and a follow-through, no play on the ball. I'm ignoring Hamilton ending up at the feet of the front row, it was decent acting.

2012 Eastern Conference Semifinals- Nice open court tackle of Darren Collison. Crawford hit him with a Flagrant 1.

That's just off the top of my head. I know I have gotten a little off topic, but to bring it back I ask:

Do any of you guys use this type of information or a player's/coach's reputation to change what you are looking for on the court, or do you just file the information to prepare you for the game but call like you normally would?
Once when the Yankee's Lou Pinella was batting he questioned a Palermo strike call. Pinella demanded, "Where was that pitch at?" Palermo told him that a man wearing Yankee pinstripes in front of 30,000 people should not end a sentence with a preposition. So Pinella, no dummy, said, "OK, where was that pitch at, a**hole?"
-George Will
Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 12:54am
Do not give a damn!!

In the replay that was obvious, but I can see how it was not seen that way in live time. Or maybe the angle of the official he did not see the "wind up" if you will. I have no problem with the suspension.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Yeah, that was intentional. Not exactly a natural move after being grabbed by an opponent. My first thought was: If he'd done it with a fist, would there have been a call? I wish the crew (Tom Washington, Sean Corbin, Lauren Holtkamp) had at least gotten together and talked about the play and I'm sure they do as well. I'm thinking the league office isn't too happy with them for doing nothing.

At least if they'd called a flagrant they could have gone to video review. Otherwise it didn't seem to rise to the level of the other review criteria, though this might come close:

Again, it might come close but everyone seemed to break away within 20 seconds or so.
The situation resolved itself with intervention of the officials so that replay trigger wouldn't come into effect.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 02:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
In the replay that was obvious, but I can see how it was not seen that way in live time. Or maybe the angle of the official he did not see the "wind up" if you will.
Good observation.

Cheap shot and worthy of a suspension.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 07:44am
Esteemed Forum Member

Just Askin' ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP View Post
Really? I've officiated girls' high school basketball since 2002 and women's college basketball since 2007, and I've never seen an intentional kick to the groin in any of my games, or games I've watched.
Maybe it doesn't hurt as much? Anatomy and Physiology 101.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 08:38am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojans2545 View Post
It was intentional, and nothing new from him. I can think of 4 or 5 plays in the last 18 months with him and only Joey Crawford has hit him with anything outside of a normal foul.

2011 Eastern Semis vs Boston- ended with a Rondo dislocated elbow.

2012(? it was last year's) All-Star game- Questionable, but a Kobe broken nose causes concern, and after Dwight's ejection for contact above the shoulders I don't know how it seems like it should have been looked at.

2012 last half regular season vs Bulls- Rip Hamilton clears some space, Wade responds with a forearm shiv to the chest and a follow-through, no play on the ball. I'm ignoring Hamilton ending up at the feet of the front row, it was decent acting.

2012 Eastern Conference Semifinals- Nice open court tackle of Darren Collison. Crawford hit him with a Flagrant 1.
"I'm far from being a dirty player."

Dwyane Wade on groin kick, suspension: 'I just reacted'
Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 11:50am
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Maybe it doesn't hurt as much? Anatomy and Physiology 101.
Agreed, but I was sarcastically responding to the overt, antiquated, sexist comment in the post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra
What a girl.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 12:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
"I'm far from being a dirty player."

Dwyane Wade on groin kick, suspension: 'I just reacted'
If he "just reacts" with a dirty play, one needs to question whether he's a dirty player.