The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 14, 2012, 01:27pm
Back from the DL

Full Arm Extensions and Switches

Interesting finish to a boys' freshman game today.

Visitor 41, Home 40, last ten seconds of the game, V-1 shooting one-and-one. I'm the lead.

V-1 misses, but H-2 (in the first lane space, opposite side) has a full arm extension to hold off V-3. I hold for a second, and as H-2 snags the rebound, it's obvious the contact was advantageous, so I rule the foul.

Now, V-3 has a one-and-one. Same thing: miss, full arm extension by H-2 to hold off V-4, and the ball goes to him. Tweet.

"You did the exact same thing," I inform H-2, who just fouled out.

The home coach respectfully asked me about the foul, and I let him know the full arm extension on his opponent created clear advantageous contact. While there was indeed the typically bumping and jockeying for position on free-throw rebounds earlier in the game, these were the first times there were anything that positively advantageous.

V-4 misses the front end of his one-and-one, and H-5 gets the rebound with about four seconds left. The ensuing 25-footer falls short, and V holds on for the win.

And then, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I forgot to switch -- both times.

There was something in my brain that treated these both like lane violations -- you'd think me reporting the fouls would tip me off -- so I went back to administer the free throws, again, both times.

Would I have seen the foul the second time from the trail? It was pretty clear, but my eyes would have been on other players across the lane. Most people will remember the fouls called late in the game. I'm still kicking myself for not switching.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2012, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Why didn't your partner force the switch?
Old Sat Jan 14, 2012, 04:26pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
Why didn't your partner force the switch?
Good question. My partner was a second-year official, so it didn't occur to him either. I'm in my seventh; I should have caught that.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2012, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe a terrible admission, but I can completely see forgetting the switch on this. Blow the whistle, your partner hasn't seen the sit very often so he stays put and you slide right back down to administer the next free throw.