The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 01, 2004, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

As a rule, we umpires don't really track defensive changes unless it involves the DP/FLEX players.

I have started this year to ask coaches at the pregame meeting to let me know if a defensive switch is made involving the pitcher and/or catcher so that I track for purposes of the courtesy runner if used.

I have never had a problem with this, but I realized that this is something that could cause a problem.

My question to the board is: Do any of you have any tricks or methods that you use to keep track of changes of the pitcher and/or catcher?
Old Mon Mar 01, 2004, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
I do it just the way you said. Ask the coaches to work with you on it to avoid any confusion. The gentleman giving the TASO State clinic on substitutions told us we were expected to know our catchers and pitchers and know when they were moved, without notice from the coach. I'm not sure about the rest of you, but there seems to be quite a bit of stuff to take care of without having to try to remember which player went where. A little assistance from the coach is greatly appreciated. It's sure gonna stop a lot of trouble later on, if they just tell me they moved the catcher to CF and another player is now catching.