The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 24, 2012, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Travel or Not?

Or rather would you call this or not?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Mon Dec 24, 2012 at 09:51am.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2012, 09:52am
Get away from me, Steve.

Doesn't look like the left foot ever moves after he gets possession. No travel.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2012, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

In regular time, it's hard to see actually which foot is the pivot. In slow motion, the right is the pivot as it's the first to come down after control is established, he picks up the right before ball is released on a dribble...yes on travel.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2012, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Travel or not

Close call. Not a travel. Left foot pivot. I was looking for the bunny hop on that foot. Did not see it.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2012, 09:55am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
In regular time, it's hard to see actually which foot is the pivot. In slow motion, the right is the pivot as it's the first to come down after control is established, he picks up the right before ball is released on a dribble...yes on travel.
Yes, I see that now.

Quite frankly, I think it's too nitpicky, regardless. Unlikely I would have a travel there.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2012, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Yes, I see that now.

Quite frankly, I think it's too nitpicky, regardless. Unlikely I would have a travel there.
Yes, I'm not calling here either.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2012, 10:12am
Back from the DL

I had the left foot as the pivot, but Indiana's comment made me take another look. Indeed, the right came down first, and therefore was the pivot. He hopped on his right = travel.

Still, I think the official saw the left as the pivot, which he kept down until the dribble started.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2012, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Travel or not

Quote:
Yes, I see that now.

Why not call it?
Old Mon Dec 24, 2012, 10:19am
Do not give a damn!!

I cannot see the travel at all. The left foot seems to be the pivot foot and that did not move until the ball was put on the floor for the dribble. I think the official anticipated.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 24, 2012, 10:23am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonx View Post
Why not call it?
If I need 5 views of a YouTube video just to tell which foot is the pivot foot, it's unlikely I see it in real time. On top of that, if I'm trying to call it this fine, one of two things happen:

(1) I'm the only person in the gym who sees the travel. What good is it for me to be the ONLY person to see it and call it? If the one team is pissed that I called it and the other team thinks they've just gotten a huge break, why did I call it in the first place?

(2) More importantly, if I set my filter this low, it means I'm much more likely to call a travel that isn't really a travel.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2012, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Travel or not

Thats good reason not to call a violation.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2012, 10:36am
Courageous When Prudent

I got right foot down, left foot in air when possession is gained. Left foot is put down then right foot is lifted and re-planted before dribble is started.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2012, 10:37am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

The official was correct. He only needed to see it once in real time. It's a travel. Would I call it even though I needed the slow motion version, to verify, after the real-time clip? If I am able to catch it, quite likely yes I would.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2012, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If I need 5 views of a YouTube video just to tell which foot is the pivot foot, it's unlikely I see it in real time. On top of that, if I'm trying to call it this fine, one of two things happen:

(1) I'm the only person in the gym who sees the travel. What good is it for me to be the ONLY person to see it and call it? If the one team is pissed that I called it and the other team thinks they've just gotten a huge break, why did I call it in the first place?

(2) More importantly, if I set my filter this low, it means I'm much more likely to call a travel that isn't really a travel.

It only takes 1 video. Officials are to call the game regardless of score, situation. If you are the only person in the gym who sees it, that's a good thing.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2012, 10:41am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonx View Post
It only takes 1 video. Officials are to call the game regardless of score, situation. If you are the only person in the gym who sees it, that's a good thing.
I don't agree with this in all cases. Blowout, losing team in BC travels at start of dribble. No pressure. I might conveniently miss this one.