The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 21, 2012, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritchie View Post
Had good/heated district game last night, 2 good teams. 4 pt game in 4th quarter, A1 and B1 coming up floor kinda bumped each other coming through traffic on fast break around mid court, when they got to 3 pt line they bumped again which wasn't accidental, Whistle double foul, then they get in each others face, whistle double T, I quickly jump in between players and other players come running up and grab own players to pull them away, the away coach from far end, comes running on floor, i would assume to make sure things were okay and no fight would occur. Question?

Assignor is at the game, comes in the locker room and asked why we didn't throw the coach? quotes rule 10.4.5 If a coach leaves the bench and enters the floor without being beckoned by the offical for any reason this is a flagrant technical foul and is disqualified.

I tried to explain that if there is a possibility of a fight a coach is allowed on the floor, he said we had it under control and he shouldn't of came on and should of been ejected or at the least T'd up.

1. what is rule for coach being allowed on floor to help with fight? am at work and can't look it up right now.

2. what do you all think? T warranted? ejection? We talked about it as a crew and thought that the coach was okay on the floor getting his players and pulling them back to his bench and that the T, would of definitely not been good for the game at that point of the game.

Visitors ended up winning by 4 and sinking 2 free throws with 2 seconds to ice the game.
Tough situation, but by NFHS rules you have a clear directive...ejection for entering the court. What you can say is that the official nearest the coach "beckoned him" to help diffuse the situation.

NCAA rules allow the coach to come on the floor as long as he is helping. 10.6.2.j
Old Fri Dec 21, 2012, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
In that situation, coach is always retroactively beckoned in games.
(Counting on the wisdom of those who have been in this sitch, as I have not yet. Not trying to be argumentative...)

So what do we say when the assignor says "I didn't see or hear you beckon him."?
Old Fri Dec 21, 2012, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

"I beckoned him with mental telepathy."
Old Fri Dec 21, 2012, 04:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rooster View Post
(Counting on the wisdom of those who have been in this sitch, as I have not yet. Not trying to be argumentative...)

So what do we say when the assignor says "I didn't see or hear you beckon him."?
I'm honest. "coach came on to help pull his players back to prevent a fight. If he'd done anything else, anything at all, I would have stuck him. I consider that an automatic beckon. If that's not how you want it done, fair enough, next time it happens I'll call it your way."
Old Fri Dec 21, 2012, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I'm honest. "coach came on to help pull his players back to prevent a fight. If he'd done anything else, anything at all, I would have stuck him. I consider that an automatic beckon. If that's not how you want it done, fair enough, next time it happens I'll call it your way."
'Preciate! The part about "next time it happens" is very helpful.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2012, 05:31pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rooster View Post
'Preciate! The part about "next time it happens" is very helpful.
This is where our favorite caveat comes into play: When in Rome...
Old Fri Dec 21, 2012, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Honestly, you have full rule support for a T here, every time. What you don't have is rule support for the supposed telepathic beckon that's being tossed around here. What I see here is a potential large can of worms. One coach comes out, he pulls one of his guys out of the pile, you pretend you beckoned him and don't issue the T. Another scuffle later, and the other coach bumps the other team while pulling his guy out, and the other team's player reacts - you T him. Now he's wondering (rightly) why he got T'd and the other guy didn't.

If NFHS wanted us to allow coaches to "break it up" so to speak, they would have written it into the rules that way. Seems to me they DON'T want it that way. Also seems to me that the more humans on the floor in messy situations like this, the more potential for a problem --- there's a REASON to keep EVERYONE who is not already involved from getting involved, and that NFHS agrees with this.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Dec 21, 2012, 06:18pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Honestly, you have full rule support for a T here, every time. What you don't have is rule support for the supposed telepathic beckon that's being tossed around here. What I see here is a potential large can of worms. One coach comes out, he pulls one of his guys out of the pile, you pretend you beckoned him and don't issue the T. Another scuffle later, and the other coach bumps the other team while pulling his guy out, and the other team's player reacts - you T him. Now he's wondering (rightly) why he got T'd and the other guy didn't.

If NFHS wanted us to allow coaches to "break it up" so to speak, they would have written it into the rules that way. Seems to me they DON'T want it that way. Also seems to me that the more humans on the floor in messy situations like this, the more potential for a problem --- there's a REASON to keep EVERYONE who is not already involved from getting involved, and that NFHS agrees with this.
While your argument is reasonably compelling, I'm 100% in the "if the coach does the right thing, he's beckoned" camp.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2012, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
while your argument is reasonably compelling, i'm 100% in the "if the coach does the right thing, he's beckoned" camp.
+1