The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 19, 2003, 08:07pm
In Memoriam

Smile

Worked a boys team camp this afternoon, and one of the coaches is a Michigan registered official.

After almost every call we made, when his players got that puzzled look of, "Wha?!!??", he explained the call with one exception..., when we adjusted the 4+2 for free throws, and his players said "Wha?", he explained that it's a new rule that he didn''t know yet.

... Kinda different.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2003, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
... he explained the call with one exception...,
... Kinda different.
I don't know how different it is for coaches to explain calls, they just usually don't give the correct explanation. But it IS different for a coach to admit he doesn't know a rule!!
Old Fri Jun 20, 2003, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to abergman Send a message via Yahoo to abergman
Mick,

That was different. He ended up sitting down with us during dinner in the cafeteria and asking lots of intelligent questions. Turns out he not only refs basketball but works baseball too, would put him on my crew anytime. Different, yes, refreshing, yes.

You missed the fun stuff though, had to pull a coach back to his bench after going after my partner and gave the ultimate "stop sign, i've had enough". Ended up being a stiff arm and basically pushed him back to his bench. Not exactly approved mechanics but it worked especially for these type of games. 29 games in four days, my legs are tired. It's a slow Saturday night. Back to baseball tomorrow.

Bergy
Old Sat Jun 21, 2003, 06:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by abergman
Mick,

That was different. He ended up sitting down with us during dinner in the cafeteria and asking lots of intelligent questions. Turns out he not only refs basketball but works baseball too, would put him on my crew anytime. Different, yes, refreshing, yes.

You missed the fun stuff though, had to pull a coach back to his bench after going after my partner and gave the ultimate "stop sign, i've had enough". Ended up being a stiff arm and basically pushed him back to his bench. Not exactly approved mechanics but it worked especially for these type of games. 29 games in four days, my legs are tired. It's a slow Saturday night. Back to baseball tomorrow.

Bergy
Bergy,
Well, with your forearms it probably wasn't much of a challenge.
Why was he so excited with your partner? They weren't playing for T-shirts or anything, were they?
Yikes!
mick

Old Sat Jun 21, 2003, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to abergman Send a message via Yahoo to abergman
Nope, no tee shirts, they didn't even have standings, but some coaches seemed to think it was the state championship. First year coach, trying to show his "enthusiasm" i would imagine.