The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Resumption of Play Fiasco

Curious for ideas as to how this could have been prevented, or what other's may have done differently...

Girl's varsity team has been repeatedly slow in leaving the huddle, in spite of "encouragement" by all three of us to be ready on the second horn. I personally spoke to one of the assistant's and asked him to help us get the team on the floor so play could begin on the second horn, but it didn't help.

At the end of a third quarter time out, I said into the huddle, "let's go...we will start without you". This team is the defensive team and doesn't respond, so I motion across the floor to my partner administering the throw in to put the ball in play. After the opposing team makes the inbound pass, they realize what is going on and finally respond...with six players!

There was some discussion then about how the technical foul should be charged. Seemed pretty simple to me...10.1.6 says it is a team technical foul to have six players participating simulataneously. One of my partners, while not disagreeing with that also argued that since there 5 players in the game legally prior to the time-out, the technical should be charged to the substitue that didn't report. We went with the team technical because a)10.1.6 is very specific and b) because I had very little confidence the table could tell us which one was not supposed to be in the game.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 11:19am
M.A.S.H.

Administrative technical (six players).

Hopefully the lesson was learned: get out of the huddle on time and we'll help you count!
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

I agree with the team T.

As a general statement (with excpetions, of course) if you're going to put the ball down, try to do so when the delaying team is on offense.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

I echo Bob's statement that you should try to make your point when the slow guys are on offense next time.

That said - your T goes to the team, by rule.

Different sport - had something similar. My first season of football, perhaps the 3rd or 4th week in, 7th or 8th grade game with a crew of just newbies like me (none of us knew the little rules that rarely crop up yet). Team simply WOULD NOT come out of a particular time out. Eventually flagged them for delay (even they were the defense). Walked it off and they STILL wouldn't come out. Eventually hit them for 5 more (at this point, the crowd's making noise - equally at us and their own coach). STILL would not come out.

So we let the offense run a play. That got the point across.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwv001 View Post
Curious for ideas as to how this could have been prevented, or what other's may have done differently...

Girl's varsity team has been repeatedly slow in leaving the huddle, in spite of "encouragement" by all three of us to be ready on the second horn. I personally spoke to one of the assistant's and asked him to help us get the team on the floor so play could begin on the second horn
I thought teams had use of all 30/60 seconds of time out length. It seems you are expecting them to break huddle at first horn and be on court ready to inbound "so play can begin on 2nd horn".
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

A couple of words based on my experience. 1. Asst. Coaches are rarely useful at resolving this situation. I mean, would you interrupt your boss at work if his speech is running long in a staff meeting? 2. As you saw, as soon as you put the ball down, this fixed the issue. 3. I would make sure that you are waiting until both teams are at their benches before reporting the time out and that the warning horns are being hit at the right time. If all of this is good then putting the ball down should get them back in line!
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
I thought teams had use of all 30/60 seconds of time out length. It seems you are expecting them to break huddle at first horn and be on court ready to inbound "so play can begin on 2nd horn".
They can use as much as they want, but (by rule) play resumes at the second horn.

Exactly how it's administered will vary by area.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

FWIW, along with my usual jabber about first horn, second horn blah blah blah, I add "White/Black is on the floor and ready, bring 'em out" or some variation of that. Usually works pretty well.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 12:20pm
M.A.S.H.

The last two years I've been hitting my whistle twice and being very vocal ("Lets go men" or "Here we go men") and haven't had any problems (knock on wood).
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
They can use as much as they want, but (by rule) play resumes at the second horn.

Exactly how it's administered will vary by area.
You say "by rule" but I guess it depends on your definition of "play"...if you mean ready to inbound or break huddle? I still feel play does NOT resume at second horn...TO is over at 2nd horn. I'm unable to find a rule that says a team must be ready to inbound at the sounding of the 2nd horn.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 12:27pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
You say "by rule" but I guess it depends on your definition of "play"...if you mean ready to inbound or break huddle? I still feel play does NOT resume at second horn...TO is over at 2nd horn. I'm unable to find a rule that says a team must be ready to inbound at the sounding of the 2nd horn.
When the timeout is over, the official puts the ball in play. When's the timeout over?

The rule says nothing about the team being allowed to stay in their huddle until the second horn. It says nothing about allowing the team to come out after the second horn and the official waiting for them to do so. So where are YOU getting this?

BTW, this is not one of those things that personally bothers me. If they break on the second horn, fine -- I'm happy to give both teams a few extra seconds. But by rule, the timeout ends and play resumes on that second horn.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I agree with the team T.

As a general statement (with excpetions, of course) if you're going to put the ball down, try to do so when the delaying team is on offense.
My thoughts EXACTLY. Doing it this way only, potentially, causes the "slow" team to lose possession of the ball.

If you do it when the "slow" team is on defense, you're gifting 2 points to the opposition. ROP doesn't need to be that severe of a penalty.....
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 01:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
My thoughts EXACTLY. Doing it this way only, potentially, causes the "slow" team to lose possession of the ball.

If you do it when the "slow" team is on defense, you're gifting 2 points to the opposition. ROP doesn't need to be that severe of a penalty.....
What if the team only does it when they will be on defense following time-outs? Coaches (especially at the NCAA level) are smart enough to figure this out.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
What if the team only does it when they will be on defense following time-outs? Coaches (especially at the NCAA level) are smart enough to figure this out.
NCAA has a DOG warning for this.

If they delay after that, well ....
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
BTW, this is not one of those things that personally bothers me. If they break on the second horn, fine -- I'm happy to give both teams a few extra seconds. But by rule, the timeout ends and play resumes on that second horn.
I absolutely agree. As long as they are making progress towards getting back on the floor at the second horn, I have no issue. That is the accepted practice here. In last night's situation that was not the case. We had instances where 10-15 seconds after the second horn, this team was still not showing any signs of wrapping it up. At that point, it isn't fair to the team that is abiding by the general requirement to be ready to resume play at the second horn.