The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 01:33pm
This IS My Social Life

A Coupla Things to Try, Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
They can use as much as they want, but (by rule) play resumes at the second horn. Exactly how it's administered will vary by area.
Two methods, based on experimentation in this area, have improved things appreciably:

1) Brief mention in pregame with coaches: "Have your players ready to come out on the first horn, we'd like to make the ball live on the second." When this is stated, they are better at it than when this is not stated.

2) When officials go the huddle and say "First Horn", a whistle from each after saying that seems also to bring 'em out better prior to the second horn. When we've done it, it's better. When we don't, it isn't.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Your results may vary.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwv001 View Post
I absolutely agree. As long as they are making progress towards getting back on the floor at the second horn, I have no issue. That is the accepted practice here. In last night's situation that was not the case. We had instances where 10-15 seconds after the second horn, this team was still not showing any signs of wrapping it up. At that point, it isn't fair to the team that is abiding by the general requirement to be ready to resume play at the second horn.
10 - 15 seconds? Good grief. Was it this coach's first game ever???

1) Sounds like he was doing it a lot - hit them on offense just once, and that should fix it. A lost possession is a more fair penalty than a free 2 pts for the other team.

2) That said ... 10-15 seconds? I probably would have put the ball in play for the other team as well --- after maybe the 2nd offense even. That's a LONG time.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

As others have said, make your point when the team delaying is on offense. One lost possession is all it takes and both coaches will take note.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
When the timeout is over, the official puts the ball in play. When's the timeout over?

The rule says nothing about the team being allowed to stay in their huddle until the second horn. It says nothing about allowing the team to come out after the second horn and the official waiting for them to do so. So where are YOU getting this?

BTW, this is not one of those things that personally bothers me. If they break on the second horn, fine -- I'm happy to give both teams a few extra seconds. But by rule, the timeout ends and play resumes on that second horn.
I agree, it doesnt bother me that much and personally after many years of doing this have always thought if teams are breaking huddle on 2nd horn that was the norm. You say the rule says nothing about being allowed to stay in huddle until the second horn? 5-11-2 only says "a warning signal for teams to prepare to resume play is sounded with 15 seconds remaining" ...the words "prepare to resume" and "remaining" being my point here. I say they get all the 60 seconds to talk to their team and then break huddle and head to inbounds location or wherever on court they need to be. I was only asking a previous poster who seemed to be putting the ball down at the second horn. Clearly, I see no rule for that, nor have I ever seen that happen.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 03:01pm
We don't rent pigs

The length of the timeout varies as much on the front end as it does on the back. Some officials will follow the team to the edge of the huddle and spend 10 seconds asking "Full or 30?" About the only significant thing I tell coaches in pregame is let me see a 30 signal or it will be a full. Then, if you get lucky and have a timer who actually starts in a timely fashion and measures the length of the timeout you are all right.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

SOme areas hear the horn, count to 2 (or so), blow the whistle and put the ball on the floor.

Some areas hear the horn, go back in, clap their hands, wait a while, and then the teams come out.

Most are somewhere inbetween. You don't want to be (too much) different from the norm in your area.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 05:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwv001 View Post
I absolutely agree. As long as they are making progress towards getting back on the floor at the second horn, I have no issue. That is the accepted practice here. In last night's situation that was not the case. We had instances where 10-15 seconds after the second horn, this team was still not showing any signs of wrapping it up. At that point, it isn't fair to the team that is abiding by the general requirement to be ready to resume play at the second horn.
That's way too long. If the first offense is that excessive, I'm putting the ball down.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 05:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

And I can guarantee that if a team is coming out 10-15 seconds after the horn, I'm getting 5-10 seconds of grief from the other coach.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 05:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
I agree, it doesnt bother me that much and personally after many years of doing this have always thought if teams are breaking huddle on 2nd horn that was the norm. You say the rule says nothing about being allowed to stay in huddle until the second horn? 5-11-2 only says "a warning signal for teams to prepare to resume play is sounded with 15 seconds remaining" ...the words "prepare to resume" and "remaining" being my point here. I say they get all the 60 seconds to talk to their team and then break huddle and head to inbounds location or wherever on court they need to be. I was only asking a previous poster who seemed to be putting the ball down at the second horn. Clearly, I see no rule for that, nor have I ever seen that happen.
"Prepare to resume" means, to many, that they should be getting in position on that warning horn. If the second horn meant they should start breaking the huddle then, there's no reason for the first horn, is there?
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 05:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

They need to at least be breaking the huddle at the second horn.

When going to ROP I prefer to hit them when their either on offense, or defending a backcourt throw in during the first half. "Prefer" does not mean require, though.