Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That is more or less what I see too.

He had LGP but the shooter changed to a new path and the defender was no longer in it and had to shift to get back in the path. The defender was jumping sideways (and backwards) trying to reestablish position but didn't get both feet back down to regain LGP before the shooter was airborne.
I may be wrong here and am not being a wise guy, but to obtain legal guarding position you must be facing opponent, have both feet on the ground. to "maintain" lgp you can move laterally and away just not towards. Idk that you have to "reestablish" with both feet on the ground every time you move lateraly or away. was i reading you wrong?
Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
I may be wrong here and am not being a wise guy, but to obtain legal guarding position you must be facing opponent, have both feet on the ground. to "maintain" lgp you can move laterally and away just not towards. Idk that you have to "reestablish" with both feet on the ground every time you move lateraly or away. was i reading you wrong?
To maintain, you must also remain in the path. If you stay in the path, you don't have to reestablish and don't have to get both feet back down or be facing. If, however, the opponent takes a new path that is not towards the defender, the defender must obtain a new LGP.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 09:37pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
To maintain, you must also remain in the path. If you stay in the path, you don't have to reestablish and don't have to get both feet back down or be facing. If, however, the opponent takes a new path that is not towards the defender, the defender must obtain a new LGP.

Uh oh, Camron and I agreeing
Old Sun Dec 09, 2012, 02:34am
Official Forum Member

So if a B1 is moving laterally to get to that "new path" that that A1 is now on and gets there in time to take it in the chest but still has one foot off the ground, he is getting a block call from u on that?
Old Sun Dec 09, 2012, 04:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
So if a B1 is moving laterally to get to that "new path" that that A1 is now on and gets there in time to take it in the chest but still has one foot off the ground, he is getting a block call from u on that?
Yep.

But, if he's able to move laterally maintaining a position in A1's path the entire time, no. He met the rule. Maintaining LGP requires maintaining a position in the opponents path. If A1 goes a different direction faster than the defender can adjust, the defender loses LGP and must reobtain it in the new path.

Here is an exaggerated play to demonstrate the difference....

A1 heading straight down the left lane line. B1 sets up on the left lane line. A1, seeing his path is cut off, stops, turns 90 degrees right and goes around 3 players across the lane then cuts down the right lane line where he then heads down that lane line. B1 sees what was happening a bit late after A1 has taken an entirely different path and tries to shift to the other side of the key where he attempts to jump into the A1's new path.
Old Sun Dec 09, 2012, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yep.

But, if he's able to move laterally maintaining a position in A1's path the entire time, no. He met the rule. Maintaining LGP requires maintaining a position in the opponents path. If A1 goes a different direction faster than the defender can adjust, the defender loses LGP and must reobtain it in the new path.

Here is an exaggerated play to demonstrate the difference....

A1 heading straight down the left lane line. B1 sets up on the left lane line. A1, seeing his path is cut off, stops, turns 90 degrees right and goes around 3 players across the lane then cuts down the right lane line where he then heads down that lane line. B1 sees what was happening a bit late after A1 has taken an entirely different path and tries to shift to the other side of the key where he attempts to jump into the A1's new path.
i see what u r saying but i don't think this play is a guy changing his entire path like that. your sit has a guy completely losing contact with his defender thus ending legal guarding position. i know u were exaggerating t make a point. in the video i think the guy was moving under him after he left the ground anyway so i have block. I dont think you loose lgp just because he has a new path. he has to get by u with head and shoulders
Old Wed Dec 12, 2012, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

If it is PC, then no foul shots if offending team is in the bonus? Also on a mechanic issue, how come L did not put his hand behind his head to indicate offensive foul.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2012, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonx View Post
If it is PC, then no foul shots if offending team is in the bonus? Also on a mechanic issue, how come L did not put his hand behind his head to indicate offensive foul.
Cause maybe he thinks like me and thinks that the hand behind the head mechanic looks absolutely silly and is a weak signal.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Dec 13, 2012, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonx View Post
If it is PC, then no foul shots if offending team is in the bonus?
Correct. No foul shots on PC or TC fouls.

Quote:
Also on a mechanic issue, how come L did not put his hand behind his head to indicate offensive foul.
If you're new(er) and using FED mechanics, then you should practice this. (and I think some areas have gone to the fist for all PC/TC fouls, and some use the "hand behind the head" for all PC/TC fouls)

If you're using NCAA mechanics, then just the fist.