The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Block/Charge Play (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93150-block-charge-play.html)

stiffler3492 Fri Dec 07, 2012 01:59pm

Block/Charge Play

Saw this on one of the many sports blogs. Would love your opinions.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bhoah2OGltM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rockyroad Fri Dec 07, 2012 02:09pm

They had themselves a blarge! Watch the C...he is signaling a block while L is hammering the PC. Yuck...

IMHO, L has it right...defender has LGP and takes contact in chest...would love to see a camera angle from the C point of view to see what he saw...maybe that the defender moved to his left? But that was before shooter went airborne, so it is legal movement.

Hmmmm...

rekent Fri Dec 07, 2012 02:11pm

A classic blarge even with the L looking cross-court at his partner. Sure seems close from that angle, just can't tell if there is any horizontal movement once the shooter is airborne.

deecee Fri Dec 07, 2012 02:27pm

On second thought and actually paying attention. block. don't drink and drive and don't not pay attention to a video and post.

Camron Rust Fri Dec 07, 2012 02:28pm

The defender was slipping from right to left from near the right lane lane to a point just left of the center of the lane with the last of the shift being after the shooter went up. I don't think the defender was in the shooters path with 2-feet down before the shooter left the floor. I have a block. It is, however, tough to tell from that angle. Given a different angle, I might see it differently.

Raymond Fri Dec 07, 2012 02:35pm

I don't have the defender w/LGP so I have a block.

Adam Fri Dec 07, 2012 02:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 865569)
I don't have the defender w/LGP so I have a block.

Two feet down, facing the opponent. What's missing?

JugglingReferee Fri Dec 07, 2012 02:55pm

B players was moving backwards, but moved diagonally on one step to be closer to the middle of key, which is the path of A1.

I do see B1 having two feet down when A1 went airborne.

PC.

SNIPERBBB Fri Dec 07, 2012 03:02pm

Looks to me that the defender slid under the shooter from the side.

just another ref Fri Dec 07, 2012 03:03pm

Charge. I thought so, anyway, and the lead had a better angle than any of us, including the C.

HawkeyeCubP Fri Dec 07, 2012 03:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 865568)
The defender was slipping from right to left......to a point just left of the center of the lane with the last of the shift being after the shooter went up.

I completely agree. He wasn't at the spot before the shooter became airborne. I also would add/pregame that there is no reason the C needs to have an immediate whistle - let alone preliminary signal - on this play coming down the middle of the lane in transition with the L clearly in a good position. This should be L's first crack. (Even though I think he got it wrong.)

Raymond Fri Dec 07, 2012 03:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 865570)
Two feet down, facing the opponent. What's missing?

I don't see B1 get 2 feet down in the path until A1 goes airborne.

B1 lost his initial LGP b/c he thought A1 was going to pass to the wing and B1 moved that direction. He did not regain a LGP before A1 went airborne.

Still, this is the Lead's call all the way, Center had no reason for blowing on this call.

rockyroad Fri Dec 07, 2012 03:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 865577)
I don't see B1 get 2 feet down in the path until A1 goes airborne.

B1 lost his initial LGP b/c he thought A1 was going to pass to the wing and B1 moved that direction. He did not regain a LGP before A1 went airborne.

Still, this is the Lead's call all the way, Center had no reason for blowing on this call.

He lost his LGP???

Explain your thought process here please?

Raymond Fri Dec 07, 2012 03:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 865578)
He lost his LGP???

Explain your thought process here please?

He left A1's path at the beginning of the play to cut off what thought was going to be a pass to the wing. That's why you see him backpedaling at an angle to get back in the play.

Am I wrong in saying the defender must remain in the path of A1 to maintain his LGP?

MD Longhorn Fri Dec 07, 2012 03:50pm

This looks like a block. I've seen a couple of people explain why - but the only explanation from the "it's a charge" people is, "that's a charge." Why does anyone thing that? I'd like to understand their thought process to get there.