The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 10:35am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I understand he'd have the book, but there's no reason to allow any coach to challenge like this after he's had access to the book off the court.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
But what exactly have you approved when you left the floor? What you BELIEVED the score to be. You are approving one team as having won the game. Right or wrong, that is what was done and that is what the rule above says is final. What they tell you the book says or should have said after you're gone is not relevant.

I don't know anyone that goes over to the book after the horn...we certainly check at a timeout/break before the game ends and that should generally take care of it. We make eye contact with the scorer on the way out and if there is something different that they have, they must get your attention before you clear the gym.
No offense intended here, but I believe you have this completely backward. I cannot verify that the score is "what I BELIEVE it to be" without actually seeing the book. And I honestly don't care what the pretty lights on the wall say. Granted, 99% of the time, they are right... but that doesn't really matter.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 10:53am
Archaic Power Monger

So what should our take away be from this thread? Go over at the end of a close game and visually verify the score in the book and that the books are the same?
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then, if the game is over since the officials have left the gym, who won and exactly what did the officials approve? Even if the book ultimately shows something different, the score they approved is what counts.
When you "approve the score", you approve that the BOOK has the correct score (and, I guess, for the OP ... that the game is actually over!). If the game is over since the officials have left the gym, then the team with more points in the BOOK (and not the pretty lights or what happens to be in the officials' heads) is what matters. The book, by definition, cannot "show something different" than the score approved because it IS the score that was (or should have been) approved.

Nodding at the scorekeeper or making eye contact is NOT approving the score.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
So what should our take away be from this thread? Go over at the end of a close game and visually verify the score in the book and that the books are the same?
The moral of the story is Don't have close games!!!
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 11:01am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Yes. Usually there is a time out or 2 at the end of a close game. During on of these timeouts my partner and I both go to the table and verify that the scoreboard reflects what is in the home book. If there is a discrepency between the home and visitor book, we try to get it straight, but ultimately the home book is what is official. When we know that the home book and scoreboard are correct we take a quick glance at the table and make sure they have no problems, then get off the court.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 12:17pm
Archaic Power Monger

I'm not asking about close to the end of the game, I'm asking about after the game is actually over.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 12:49pm
NFHS Official

[QUOTE=OKREF;865315]Yes. Usually there is a time out or 2 at the end of a close game. During on of these timeouts my partner and I both go to the table and verify that the scoreboard reflects what is in the home book. If there is a discrepency between the home and visitor book, we try to get it straight, but ultimately the home book is what is official. When we know that the home book and scoreboard are correct we take a quick glance at the table and make sure they have no problems, then get off the court.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
I'm not asking about close to the end of the game, I'm asking about after the game is actually over.
It was right here.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
When you "approve the score", you approve that the BOOK has the correct score (and, I guess, for the OP ... that the game is actually over!). If the game is over since the officials have left the gym, then the team with more points in the BOOK (and not the pretty lights or what happens to be in the officials' heads) is what matters. The book, by definition, cannot "show something different" than the score approved because it IS the score that was (or should have been) approved.

Nodding at the scorekeeper or making eye contact is NOT approving the score.
When you check with the scorer as you leave the floor with the board showing 54-55, you're asking them if they have the same....when they indicate they don't have anything different, that is what you've approved.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 01:06pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post

It was right here.
Read my post again.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 01:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Read my post again.
No is the answer. Check right before the end, look at the running score and verify everyone matches. Tell them that they need to let you know if there's an issue.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 01:17pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
When you check with the scorer as you leave the floor with the board showing 54-55, you're asking them if they have the same....when they indicate they don't have anything different, that is what you've approved.
Wrong again...

The score board has nothing to do with the official score and you know it.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 01:27pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
No is the answer. Check right before the end, look at the running score and verify everyone matches. Tell them that they need to let you know if there's an issue.
The reason I ask is that it seems this procedure failed this time but maybe a contingency to handle two inept score keepers is not really feasible.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 01:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
The reason I ask is that it seems this procedure failed this time but maybe a contingency to handle two inept score keepers is not really feasible.
The OP admitted they didn't actually look, they just asked everyone if they matched. My take away is to actually look with my own eyes.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 02:02pm
Archaic Power Monger

Works for me. Good thread overall, thanks.