The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Game ends with intentional foul

Team A down by 3 with 5 seconds left. A1 advances ball and is gathering himself to shoot a long 3 pointer. B1 hits him like a mack truck and he hits the floor. He did get the shot off and an intentional foul is called. Horn sounds, basket is no good. We clear the lanes and give the shooter 3 shots. He missed the first...game over. I learned coach told them to intentionally foul (which is a seperate sportsmanship topic). Was this handled correctly?
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loners4me View Post
Team A down by 3 with 5 seconds left. A1 advances ball and is gathering himself to shoot a long 3 pointer. B1 hits him like a mack truck and he hits the floor. He did get the shot off and an intentional foul is called. Horn sounds, basket is no good. We clear the lanes and give the shooter 3 shots. He missed the first...game over. I learned coach told them to intentionally foul (which is a seperate sportsmanship topic). Was this handled correctly?
For the FTs, yes.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Near-newbie says yes.

"4.19.3 SITUATION A:

B1 is charged with an intentional foul on A1 who is in the act of shooting: (a) a successful two-point or three-point try; (b) an unsuccessful two-point try; or (c) an unsuccessful three-point try.

RULING: In (a) and (b), A1 is awarded two free throws. In (c), A1 is awarded three free throws. In all situations following the free throws, Team A is awarded a throw-in at the out-of-bounds spot nearest the foul."
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
From the description a flagrant intentional foul with ejection is warranted which covers the sportsmanship issue even if you find out about it after the fact.

Is the foul called at the same time the horn goes off or is there still time on the clock? If there is time on the clock, let them shoot all 3 foul shots and inbound the ball.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie74 View Post
From the description a flagrant intentional foul with ejection is warranted which covers the sportsmanship issue even if you find out about it after the fact.

Is the foul called at the same time the horn goes off or is there still time on the clock? If there is time on the clock, let them shoot all 3 foul shots and inbound the ball.
There is no such animal as a flagrant intentional foul. Fouls are only intentional or flagrant.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

And if a coach directs his players to give a take foul, I have no issues with it provided they do so correctly (play on the ball, no excessive contact, isn't away from the ball, etc.) just like I wouldn't for a team fouling at the end to try and come back.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 02:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'd be very aware of the clock here, and do everything I could to see time on the clock so that kid gets every one of his FTs and the team has a chance to at least try for a tap/try.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 02:22pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Yup; handled properly.

If a team is going to use this technique to end the game, do your best to see the clock greater than zero after the whistle sounds. This gives them the throw-in, even if it's far away. They could still make a game of it even if they miss a FT.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

I should have added to my previous response that here I would be writing a "special report" to the state with the information I found out after the fact. the sate might be imposing additional penalties.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Logically, it almost HAS to have some time left on the clock. If the foul happened before the horn, you have to put time back on the clock (and as others have said, this is the right thing to do in interest of sportsmanship as well). If the horn happened before the foul, then it almost definitely happened before the shot as well, so you really have no shot or foul.

It's possible, but unlikely, that the foul occurred in that sliver of time that would have the clock actually running out.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 02:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

It's easy to picture, though, it happening close enough that the clock runs out and we don't see the clock in time because we're trying to prevent a fight.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 02:56pm
NFHS Official

Unless your an airborne shooter, release the ball, while the ball is mid flight the horn goes off, the foul happens before the shooter returns to the floor.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 03:03pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post

It's possible, but unlikely, that the foul occurred in that sliver of time that would have the clock actually running out.
It does happen though. I had one a couple of years ago at the end of the 4th quarter of a tie ball game where a player went up for a layup, got hammered and the horn sounded immediately after he got fouled. There was no perceptible amount of time that we could put on with definitive knowledge.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Unless your an airborne shooter, release the ball, while the ball is mid flight the horn goes off, the foul happens before the shooter returns to the floor.
Are you trying to say that doesn't define a "sliver of time"? I didn't say impossible. Just very unlikely, especially when we're talking about an intentional foul - those very often occur before release of the ball or simultaneously.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 03:11pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Are you trying to say that doesn't define a "sliver of time"? I didn't say impossible. Just very unlikely, especially when we're talking about an intentional foul - those very often occur before release of the ball or simultaneously.
Agreed, most do happen prior to a shot.