The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 11:40am
Jerry Blum

Did anyone see the Mizzou/Syracuse game last night? In the Middle of the 2nd half an intentional foul was called on McNeil from Syracuse. I didn't see what happened during live action but when they replayed the play I still didn't notice anything that seemed intentional. It actually looked like acting on the part of Arthur Johnson more than anything. I am a Mizzou fan so I am not just upset with a call against my team, I am just wanting to figure out why it was called the way it was.

Does anyone know or have an idea of why an intentional was called?

Thanks.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Why don't you tell us what happened?
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 11:51am
Jerry Blum

From what I could tell(didn't see it really good), a 3-pt shot was taken from the wing. Arthur Johnson(A2) was below the left block when the shot went up. McNeil(B2) from Syracuse was between A2 and the basket. As A2 started to move toward the basket B2 had his arm extended to locate A2 for a block out. As soon as A2 made contact with B2's arm A2 went sprawling to the floor. Lead who was on the opposite side of the lane immediately calls an intentional foul on B2.

Like I said I didn't see it very good but saw it well enough that it confused me as to why it was intentional.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

If he grabbed him by the arm and pulled him to the floor, it would be an intentional foul. I've seen this called quite often..

Also, if the L considered the contact excessive, he could rule the foul intentional.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

He deliberately shoved the player to the ground, it was a good call at the time, imo. The post play was getting rougher than usual and that was a non-basketball play. Good call.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

I'm the biggest Syracuse fan around, and I thought it was a pretty good call. McNeil basically shoved Arthur Johnson directly on his back. Considering Johnson goes about 6'9", 280, I would agree that the contact was excessive. That and the fact that Timmy Higgins had warned McNeil about excessive contact consistenly for the prior 2 or 3 trips down the floor. McNeil never complained, nor did Jim Boeheim.

Syracuse was up about 14 at the time, it could have been a huge momentum shifter, but the 3-point try was no good, Johnson missed both free throws, then Mizzou didn't score on the possession after the foul. Possible 8 point trip, and they got nothing.

Let's go Orange!