The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 12:58pm
C'mon man!!

Resumption of play procedure.

Had a sitch last week for my second game of the season with partner (his very first game). Sophomore mens game. Teams were both slow coming out of timeout huddles. I gave them both a few seconds extra warning, sounded the whistle loudly and called "White, ball in!!" then proceeded to place ball on the ground. They made it over fast enough and got the ball in to play. Starting the 4th period, I am on endline partner at midcourt ready to give ball to player to inbound. Both horns have sounded, teams warned, whistle by partner who gives ball to inbounding team who was ready, defense was still in huddle. Offense gets easy bucket.

After the game, evaluator says that partner should not have given ball to inbounding team but should have warned team and issued an official DOG in the book. From what I can tell, we followed the rule properly and the DOG warning isn't issueable in this situation. Granted there were a few things we could have done better, including reminding coaches to be ready to play on second horn and being better with vocalizing to the teams that ball is being put into play. Partner was a bit timid about this.

Thoughts and thanks in advance.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 01:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I have a thought

Some people shouldn't be evaluating.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Had a sitch last week for my second game of the season with partner (his very first game). Sophomore mens game. Teams were both slow coming out of timeout huddles. I gave them both a few seconds extra warning, sounded the whistle loudly and called "White, ball in!!" then proceeded to place ball on the ground. They made it over fast enough and got the ball in to play. Starting the 4th period, I am on endline partner at midcourt ready to give ball to player to inbound. Both horns have sounded, teams warned, whistle by partner who gives ball to inbounding team who was ready, defense was still in huddle. Offense gets easy bucket.

After the game, evaluator says that partner should not have given ball to inbounding team but should have warned team and issued an official DOG in the book. From what I can tell, we followed the rule properly and the DOG warning isn't issueable in this situation. Granted there were a few things we could have done better, including reminding coaches to be ready to play on second horn and being better with vocalizing to the teams that ball is being put into play. Partner was a bit timid about this.

Thoughts and thanks in advance.
By rule, correct procedure.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 01:17pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Granted there were a few things we could have done better, including reminding coaches to be ready to play on second horn.....
I've had P's go so far as to include this in the Captain's Meeting too. Something like, "Gentlemen, we're going to keep this game moving tonight. We're going to be ready to put the ball in play at the second horn. You need to ready too."

Last edited by grunewar; Fri Nov 30, 2012 at 01:20pm.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 01:20pm
Get away from me, Steve.

It would take a lot for me to give a ball to an inbounding team to score an uncontested layup.

Did you get in the huddle and try to break it up on the second horn? I'm usually not trying to get to my position as quickly as you seem to have been -- I'm making sure the teams are on the floor, we have 10 players, etc.

By rule, you handled things right. But you can be right by rule and still not look good in the process.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
After the game, evaluator says that partner should not have given ball to inbounding team but should have warned team and issued an official DOG in the book.
That's an NCAA rule.

How strictly the HS rule is enforced varies by area.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 01:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It would take a lot for me to give a ball to an inbounding team to score an uncontested layup.

Did you get in the huddle and try to break it up on the second horn? I'm usually not trying to get to my position as quickly as you seem to have been -- I'm making sure the teams are on the floor, we have 10 players, etc.

By rule, you handled things right. But you can be right by rule and still not look good in the process.
I agree, but if I've already put the ball down once, and they continue to stay in their huddle after my warnings (I'm practically in the middle of the huddle sometimes), I won't lose any sleep over an uncontested layup.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 01:38pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I've had P's go so far as to include this in the Captain's Meeting too. Something like, "Gentlemen, we're going to keep this game moving tonight. We're going to be ready to put the ball in play at the second horn. You need to ready too."
This is something I do in every pregame. I tell the captains and coaches to be ready to play when the second horn sounds. At the same time, I am doing everything I can to make sure we have 10 prior to starting, that being said, I won't wait forever.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 01:46pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:

Like I said in the OP, we could have been better about getting in the huddle and being a little more vocal that we are going to inbound the ball. However, since we had already used the procedure once earlier in the game I didn't feel as bad about the second one.

We definitely could have done it better. Lessons learned: Reminder to coaches in coaches meeting, be more vocal and consistent with being in the huddle and warning teams ball is coming into play.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 02:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I agree, but if I've already put the ball down once, and they continue to stay in their huddle after my warnings (I'm practically in the middle of the huddle sometimes), I won't lose any sleep over an uncontested layup.
That was my point, though -- in the OP, the poster said he was in his position on the end line. Even if they'd been slow before, I'm at the huddle announcing "Second horn" and trying to clap them out. If they delay beyond that, *then* I'm heading to my position and if they're STILL in the huddle, you're right, we did all we could.

I've *never* gotten to that point, though. I think I put the ball on the floor once all last season.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 02:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
That was my point, though -- in the OP, the poster said he was in his position on the end line. Even if they'd been slow before, I'm at the huddle announcing "Second horn" and trying to clap them out. If they delay beyond that, *then* I'm heading to my position and if they're STILL in the huddle, you're right, we did all we could.

I've *never* gotten to that point, though. I think I put the ball on the floor once all last season.
Ah, you're right. I didn't catch that part. I don't think I've typically gotten into the huddles at the quarter break, but I've never had to. Two-man positioning at the quarter makes it a little (not much) more difficult, especially for the far huddle.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 02:13pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
And they think the captains are going to go back and tell the coaches this information?
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 02:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
And they think the captains are going to go back and tell the coaches this information?
I've had partners ask the captains to help us out in this regard; as if the coach is going to stop his lecture because the captain reminds him the first horn has sounded.

I just ask the captains to take care of their teammates, and I leave the TO issue to the coach's meeting.
"Let us know on 30/60, and get them out after that first horn so we can get started on the second."
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Football has a "get back coach." Some here have advocated trying to get a "get em out" coach in basketball -- go to that adult and have him/her prod the coach to stop talking. At least the coach can't complain that no adult on his/her staff was "warned".
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 02:30pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Or his team mates?

It's just another angle to try and help the game.

Yeah, we tell the coaches too. Kind of an extra POE for the game - our gift!