The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Resumption of play procedure. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93063-resumption-play-procedure.html)

Sharpshooternes Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:58pm

Resumption of play procedure.

Had a sitch last week for my second game of the season with partner (his very first game). Sophomore mens game. Teams were both slow coming out of timeout huddles. I gave them both a few seconds extra warning, sounded the whistle loudly and called "White, ball in!!" then proceeded to place ball on the ground. They made it over fast enough and got the ball in to play. Starting the 4th period, I am on endline partner at midcourt ready to give ball to player to inbound. Both horns have sounded, teams warned, whistle by partner who gives ball to inbounding team who was ready, defense was still in huddle. Offense gets easy bucket.

After the game, evaluator says that partner should not have given ball to inbounding team but should have warned team and issued an official DOG in the book. From what I can tell, we followed the rule properly and the DOG warning isn't issueable in this situation. Granted there were a few things we could have done better, including reminding coaches to be ready to play on second horn and being better with vocalizing to the teams that ball is being put into play. Partner was a bit timid about this.

Thoughts and thanks in advance.

Adam Fri Nov 30, 2012 01:02pm

I have a thought

Some people shouldn't be evaluating.

PG_Ref Fri Nov 30, 2012 01:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 864253)
Had a sitch last week for my second game of the season with partner (his very first game). Sophomore mens game. Teams were both slow coming out of timeout huddles. I gave them both a few seconds extra warning, sounded the whistle loudly and called "White, ball in!!" then proceeded to place ball on the ground. They made it over fast enough and got the ball in to play. Starting the 4th period, I am on endline partner at midcourt ready to give ball to player to inbound. Both horns have sounded, teams warned, whistle by partner who gives ball to inbounding team who was ready, defense was still in huddle. Offense gets easy bucket.

After the game, evaluator says that partner should not have given ball to inbounding team but should have warned team and issued an official DOG in the book. From what I can tell, we followed the rule properly and the DOG warning isn't issueable in this situation. Granted there were a few things we could have done better, including reminding coaches to be ready to play on second horn and being better with vocalizing to the teams that ball is being put into play. Partner was a bit timid about this.

Thoughts and thanks in advance.

By rule, correct procedure.

grunewar Fri Nov 30, 2012 01:17pm

Quote:

Granted there were a few things we could have done better, including reminding coaches to be ready to play on second horn.....

I've had P's go so far as to include this in the Captain's Meeting too. Something like, "Gentlemen, we're going to keep this game moving tonight. We're going to be ready to put the ball in play at the second horn. You need to ready too."

Rich Fri Nov 30, 2012 01:20pm

It would take a lot for me to give a ball to an inbounding team to score an uncontested layup.

Did you get in the huddle and try to break it up on the second horn? I'm usually not trying to get to my position as quickly as you seem to have been -- I'm making sure the teams are on the floor, we have 10 players, etc.

By rule, you handled things right. But you can be right by rule and still not look good in the process.

bob jenkins Fri Nov 30, 2012 01:27pm

Quote:

After the game, evaluator says that partner should not have given ball to inbounding team but should have warned team and issued an official DOG in the book.

That's an NCAA rule.

How strictly the HS rule is enforced varies by area.

Adam Fri Nov 30, 2012 01:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 864263)
It would take a lot for me to give a ball to an inbounding team to score an uncontested layup.

Did you get in the huddle and try to break it up on the second horn? I'm usually not trying to get to my position as quickly as you seem to have been -- I'm making sure the teams are on the floor, we have 10 players, etc.

By rule, you handled things right. But you can be right by rule and still not look good in the process.

I agree, but if I've already put the ball down once, and they continue to stay in their huddle after my warnings (I'm practically in the middle of the huddle sometimes), I won't lose any sleep over an uncontested layup.

OKREF Fri Nov 30, 2012 01:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 864261)
I've had P's go so far as to include this in the Captain's Meeting too. Something like, "Gentlemen, we're going to keep this game moving tonight. We're going to be ready to put the ball in play at the second horn. You need to ready too."

This is something I do in every pregame. I tell the captains and coaches to be ready to play when the second horn sounds. At the same time, I am doing everything I can to make sure we have 10 prior to starting, that being said, I won't wait forever.

Sharpshooternes Fri Nov 30, 2012 01:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 864263)

Like I said in the OP, we could have been better about getting in the huddle and being a little more vocal that we are going to inbound the ball. However, since we had already used the procedure once earlier in the game I didn't feel as bad about the second one.

We definitely could have done it better. Lessons learned: Reminder to coaches in coaches meeting, be more vocal and consistent with being in the huddle and warning teams ball is coming into play.

Rich Fri Nov 30, 2012 02:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 864268)
I agree, but if I've already put the ball down once, and they continue to stay in their huddle after my warnings (I'm practically in the middle of the huddle sometimes), I won't lose any sleep over an uncontested layup.

That was my point, though -- in the OP, the poster said he was in his position on the end line. Even if they'd been slow before, I'm at the huddle announcing "Second horn" and trying to clap them out. If they delay beyond that, *then* I'm heading to my position and if they're STILL in the huddle, you're right, we did all we could.

I've *never* gotten to that point, though. I think I put the ball on the floor once all last season.

Adam Fri Nov 30, 2012 02:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 864278)
That was my point, though -- in the OP, the poster said he was in his position on the end line. Even if they'd been slow before, I'm at the huddle announcing "Second horn" and trying to clap them out. If they delay beyond that, *then* I'm heading to my position and if they're STILL in the huddle, you're right, we did all we could.

I've *never* gotten to that point, though. I think I put the ball on the floor once all last season.

Ah, you're right. I didn't catch that part. I don't think I've typically gotten into the huddles at the quarter break, but I've never had to. Two-man positioning at the quarter makes it a little (not much) more difficult, especially for the far huddle.

Raymond Fri Nov 30, 2012 02:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 864261)

And they think the captains are going to go back and tell the coaches this information?

Adam Fri Nov 30, 2012 02:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 864287)
And they think the captains are going to go back and tell the coaches this information?

I've had partners ask the captains to help us out in this regard; as if the coach is going to stop his lecture because the captain reminds him the first horn has sounded.

I just ask the captains to take care of their teammates, and I leave the TO issue to the coach's meeting.
"Let us know on 30/60, and get them out after that first horn so we can get started on the second."

bob jenkins Fri Nov 30, 2012 02:30pm

Football has a "get back coach." Some here have advocated trying to get a "get em out" coach in basketball -- go to that adult and have him/her prod the coach to stop talking. At least the coach can't complain that no adult on his/her staff was "warned".

grunewar Fri Nov 30, 2012 02:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 864287)

Or his team mates?

It's just another angle to try and help the game.

Yeah, we tell the coaches too. Kind of an extra POE for the game - our gift! ;)