The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Resumption of Play Procedure

I tried to find this in the rule book or case book but I can't. Can someone tell me if this situation is in either book: After halftime Team A is entitled to the throw-in. Team A is on the court, but Team B is still in the locker room. At the horn Team A is ready to play and Team B is still not on the court. I think the correct procedure is that you put the ball in play with only Team A on the court. If they score you then assess a T on Team B for delay and then give Team A two free throws and the ball. However, I also think this may not be correct because I think about what would happen if you inbound the ball and then Team B runs out of the locker room and onto the floor. How do you prevent them from running on the floor? If they do, do you assess T's for all Team B players for illelgal substitution? This option does have the potential to get out of hand. The other option is to assess a T to Team B at the beginning of the half and not inbound the ball. This happened in a JV game one of our officials worked last week. He asked me about it and I had to admit that I was not sure.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 10:36pm
Never Stop Learning

I feel the proper use of the rules in this case falls under (10-1-5-a) Not being ready when it is time to start either half. They have one minute, when the clock is not running.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

You never put the ball in play when one team is still in the locker room.

You send someone to get them.

If they aren't in the gym after 1 minute after halftime has expired, you assess a T.

You resume play with the T once they have returned to the floor.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

If BOTH teams are out of locker room and at their bench use the resuming play procedure to start the second half.

If either of the teams has not returned from the locker room then the regular delay provisions are in force. (Case book 10.1.9 Comment)
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrao
I tried to find this in the rule book or case book but I can't. Can someone tell me if this situation is in either book: After halftime Team A is entitled to the throw-in. Team A is on the court, but Team B is still in the locker room. At the horn Team A is ready to play and Team B is still not on the court. I think the correct procedure is that you put the ball in play with only Team A on the court. If they score you then assess a T on Team B for delay and then give Team A two free throws and the ball. However, I also think this may not be correct because I think about what would happen if you inbound the ball and then Team B runs out of the locker room and onto the floor. How do you prevent them from running on the floor? If they do, do you assess T's for all Team B players for illelgal substitution? This option does have the potential to get out of hand. The other option is to assess a T to Team B at the beginning of the half and not inbound the ball. This happened in a JV game one of our officials worked last week. He asked me about it and I had to admit that I was not sure.
You weren't at my game on Saturday night, were you? We almost had this. B came out at the last second (that is, the last secodn of the minute after the clock ran down for the half-time). All 12 players ran onto the court from the locker room. 5 stopped on the court to play defense; the others ran to the bench. Coach A didn't like our ruling; he said he was going to "look in the rule book after the game."
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

If this happens and it results in a technical foul for delay, I am thinking that you do NOT change the possession arrow. So, if Team B delays and Team A had the AP throw-in, you would assess a T against Team B for delay, award the free-throws to Team A and then give them the ball for a throw-in. However, Team A would still retain the arrow since the throw-in is the result of the technical foul. Is that right?
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 09:25am
Lighten up, Francis.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrao
if Team B delays and Team A had the AP throw-in, you would assess a T against Team B for delay, award the free-throws to Team A and then give them the ball for a throw-in. However, Team A would still retain the arrow since the throw-in is the result of the technical foul. Is that right?
Yup.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 09:31am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
You weren't at my game on Saturday night, were you? We almost had this. B came out at the last second (that is, the last secodn of the minute after the clock ran down for the half-time). All 12 players ran onto the court from the locker room. 5 stopped on the court to play defense; the others ran to the bench. Coach A didn't like our ruling; he said he was going to "look in the rule book after the game."
Tempting to place a bet, isn't it?
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Me thinks you should make sure that they have been notified. Sometimes, the visiting team has a bit of a walk to their locker room and may lose track of time. While I certainly think the coaching staff needs to take responsibility to watch their time, game mgmt is also expected to notify them at 3 minutes.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan
Me thinks you should make sure that they have been notified. Sometimes, the visiting team has a bit of a walk to their locker room and may lose track of time. While I certainly think the coaching staff needs to take responsibility to watch their time, game mgmt is also expected to notify them at 3 minutes.

Yes, game management should let them know at the 3 minute mark. After that, they are on their own.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan
Me thinks you should make sure that they have been notified.
I did. The coach of the late team agreed that he had been notified.