LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 07:42am
Esteemed Forum Member

Confused In Connecticut ...

Nevadaref posted this on another thread:

10.3.2 SITUATION B:
After a lengthy substitution process involving multiple
substitutions for both Team A and Team B, A5 goes to the bench and remains
there, mistakenly believing he/she has been replaced. The ball is put in play even
though Team A has only four players on the court. Team A is bringing the ball into
A’s frontcourt when the coach of Team A realizes they have only four players. The
coach yells for A5 to return and he/she sprints directly onto the court and catches
up with the play. RULING: No technical foul is charged to A5. A5’s return to
the court was not deceitful, nor did it provide A5 an unfair positioning advantage on the court.

In this caseplay, it appears that the coach recognized that there were only four players on the court before the official did. What happens if the official notices this "infraction" first? Rules and mechanics? And note that this situation does not occur after a timeout.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

There is no reason to stop the game, so just continue playing.

I suppose that the official could inform the coach to have his 5th player return inbounds, but that may be overstepping one's authority as an impartial observer of the game.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 09:05am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

I suppose that the official could inform the coach to have his 5th player return inbounds, but that may be overstepping one's authority as an impartial observer of the game.
More so than holding up the throw in waiting for #5?
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 09:08am
Esteemed Forum Member

Citations Would Be Appreciated ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
So the "rule of thumb" that a team cannot play with less than five players when five are available is ignored? So, there are only two alternatives here? The fifth player enters the court and does not gain an advantage by doing so, which is ignored by the official? Or, the fifth player enters the court by deceitful means, and gains an immediate advantage, at which point the official charges a technical foul? Again, these are not substitutions after a timeout, so under what rule would a technical foul be charged? I don't have any answers here, I'm just looking for some help in trying to "wrap my arms" around this situation. Can we please continue this discussion?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 10:10am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
So the "rule of thumb" that a team cannot play with less than five players when five are available is ignored?
There's nothing to ignore. Five were available; one just thought he was on the bench. He still has player status, so he gets off the bench and on the court where he belongs. I don't see any harm here.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So the "rule of thumb" that a team cannot play with less than five players when five are available is ignored?
Just because there's a "rule of thumb" doesn't mean that there's a penalty (in all cases) if the rule isn't followed.

And, just because there's a "rule of thumb" for one situation, doesn't mean that the rule applies in all situations.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 12:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Good Discussion ...

The fifth player enters the court and gains an immediate advantage. Again, not after a timeout. Does the official charge a technical foul? If so, under what rule would a technical foul be charged? Certainly not for all five players not returning to the court at the same time after a timeout, because there was no timeout. I'm not taking any "stand" on this situation, just asking questions, hoping to get some rule, or casebook, citations.

Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 12:38pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
The fifth player enters the court and gains an immediate advantage. Again, not after a timeout. Does the official charge a technical foul? If so, under what rule would a technical foul be charged? Certainly not for all five players not returning to the court at the same time after a timeout, because there was no timeout. I'm not taking any "stand" on this situation, just asking questions, hoping to get some rule, or casebook, citations.
What if the fifth player enters the court, not deceitfully but just as his team gains control from a steal or rebound, realizes he is supposed to be in, and then gets a quick breakaway bucket? What would be the ruling here?
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 12:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooternes View Post
what if the fifth player enters the court, not deceitfully but just as his team gains control from a steal or rebound, realizes he is supposed to be in, and then gets a quick breakaway bucket? What would be the ruling here?
t
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 12:57pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
t
Okay. and this must be the shortest post on the forum.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 12:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Tea Time ...

Quote:
t
Not a criticism, just a question. The technical foul is charged for what rule infraction?

Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:01pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by billymac View Post
not a criticism, just a question. The technical foul is charged for what rule infraction?

10-3-2 or 10-3-6

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Tue Nov 27, 2012 at 01:04pm.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Not a criticism, just a question. The technical foul is charged for what rule infraction?
The case play that has been cited ad nauseum. In particular, the final piece of it, "...nor did it provide A5 an unfair positioning advantage on the court."
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Unfair Advantage ...

Quote:
... "nor did it provide A5 an unfair positioning advantage on the court."
Good point. If there is an unfair advantage, under which rule does one charge the technical foul, 10-3-2, or 10-3-6 (as posted by just another ref)? I don't have my books here at work.

Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:27pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Good point. If there is an unfair advantage, under which rule does one charge the technical foul, 10-3-2, or 10-3-6 (as posted by just another ref)? I don't have my books here at work.
10-3-6 is general and can be used for just about anything. (unfair, unethical, dishonorable conduct or any behavior not in accordance with the spirit of fair play)

10-3-2 is specific to this situation.

Either one would fit.

Lonesome Dove