The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 17, 2004, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by WinterWillie
He asked me why would an official from North Carolina be so concerned with what officials from Connecticut are directed to do by their state association. I couldn't give him an answer. Maybe he doesn't like what's going to happen when Connecticut goes to North Carolina this Saturday.
Take that WinterWillie!!!

No. 1 my A$$!!!

Old Sat Jan 17, 2004, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

At the end of the first half, a foul was called against UConn with no time left on the clock. UNC shot the two free throws with their two guys on the free throw line but no UConn players.

The bottom two spots normally must filled, but with no time left on the clock, was it OK for the UConn to go to their dressing room right away? If so, did UNC have the option to line up their players? I am asking if the officials handled this correctly?
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Since there was no time on the clock, the UConn players weren't required. In fact, the Carolina players didn't have to be there. I guess they just wanted the shooter to feel more comfortable. But it didn't work, 0-2.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 06:00am
Official Forum Member

Contact lenses

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
He asked me why would an official from North Carolina be so concerned with what officials from Connecticut are directed to do by their state association. I couldn't give him an answer. Maybe he doesn't like what's going to happen when Connecticut goes to North Carolina this Saturday.
Take that WinterWillie!!!

No. 1 my A$$!!!

Ya can't tell me you weren't worried. Nobody ever remembers who won in January, its the national championship they all want. We'll chalk this one up to home court advantage.
Round 1 to NC, but they put the contact lenses in the book!
Nice graphics!!!!
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Contact lenses

Quote:
Ya can't tell me you weren't worried. Nobody ever remembers who won in January, its the national championship they all want.
Hey, you brought it up in the other post. Otherwise, I never would have mentioned it.

Quote:
We'll chalk this one up to home court advantage.
Round 1 to NC, ...
Ah, I don't think so! We beat you last year too! And that one WAS in Connecticut.

So, that's Rounds 1 and 2 to Carolina!

Hmmmm...when was the last time UConn beat UNC? Have they ever, maybe once?

[Edited by BktBallRef on Jan 18th, 2004 at 04:53 PM]
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Hey BBR, has Roy got a handle on all those guys now?? A couple weeks ago or so, I heard a little blurb that he wasn't happy about work ethic and discipline....I assume since they knocked off #1 that he must have a pretty good handle on em??
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

I beleive things were going real well until they had a week off for exams, followed by a game and a week off for Christmas. They're young and that's a problem. He's had some of the same problems tha Doherty experienced but he's better equipped to handle them.

I think the first 8 are as talented as anyone in the country but they lack depth, especially a backup big body in the middle. Injuries haven't helped either. Jawad Williams has suffered a concussion, a broken noise and a cut to the head that required 8 stitches, in three SEPARATE issues since Christmas. Sean May has had trouble with ankle injuries and David Noel missed the first 8 or so game with a bad thumb.

They need to learn how to win in the clutch. I hope they did that yesterday. They lost to Wake in 3 OT, at Kentucky at a miracle 3, and at Maryland in the last mintue. Of course, the MD loss is simply ACC basketball. Playing on the road in the ACC can get you an L on any given night.

We aren't gonna win it all this year but I think we'll be alright. We're back.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

yeah I think they are back also....made us look kinda silly last year, in our final game of the year LOL we looked like we could hang with em, until they woke up and out athleted us....
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

UConn/NC

Quote:
[i] [/B]
You possibly saw the college player of the year (although Roy won't admit it-yet) and a potential first round (top 5) NBA draft pick in Emeka Okafor, he was unstoppable. Roy quote, "Today he was unbelieveable." Yep, Okafor was scary good. He made himself a lot of NBA dough on this day. Oh yea, he played with a broken nose. Chapel Thrill! Roy quote
"What a game, they have a big-time basketball team and we were very, very lucky."
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

UConn/NC

Quote:
Quote:
Ya can't tell me you weren't worried. Nobody ever remembers who won in January, its the national championship they all want.
Hey, you brought it up in the other post. Otherwise, I never would have mentioned it.

Quote:
We'll chalk this one up to home court advantage.
Round 1 to NC, ...
Ah, I don't think so! We beat you last year too! And that one WAS in Connecticut.

So, that's Rounds 1 and 2 to Carolina!

Hmmmm...when was the last time UConn beat UNC? Have they ever, maybe once?

[Edited by BktBallRef on Jan 18th, 2004 at 04:53 PM]
North Carolina played in Connecticut Matt Doherty's first year as head coach. Connecticut won the game huge.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Once is all I can find, too.

1/17/04 Carolina 86, Connecticut 83

1/18/03 Carolina 68, Connecticut 63

1/19/02 Connecticut 86, Carolina 54

3/21/98 Carolina 75, Connecticut 64

I was incorrect regarding last year. It was in Chapel Hill.

And yes, I agree, Okafor is a man among boys. UConn has a great team...

...but they have to be thrilled that they weren't invited and don't have to play in the ACC!
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

UConn/NC

Quote:
Once is all I can find, too.

1/17/04 Carolina 86, Connecticut 83

1/18/03 Carolina 68, Connecticut 63

1/19/02 Connecticut 86, Carolina 54

3/21/98 Carolina 75, Connecticut 64

I was incorrect regarding last year. It was in Chapel Hill.

And yes, I agree, Okafor is a man among boys. UConn has a great team...

...but they have to be thrilled that they weren't invited and don't have to play in the ACC!
Who in their right mind would want to play basketball in the ACC? Maybe ACC football, it was only a matter of time before Miami left the Big East.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Re: Contact lenses

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WinterWillie
Quote:

So true, but when all is said and done it will be Duke standing at the end.