The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

"During the next time out, B1's coach calls me over and, heatedly tells me that I should have given his player a T. I say coach, it didn't warrant a T."

You giving his player a technical would have been easier than him disciplining his player. Its the same reason why parents like when coaches enforce a curfew, it takes the pressure off their back to be parents.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 02:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
Agree...and since you brought that point up...I don't like it when players are frustrated (even just with themselves) and slam the ball or even place the ball on the floor and expect us to go get it.

Some here may think that is being lazy or arrogant of an official with that attitude...but, there is rule backing if you think you need it...

10-3-5b

..."failing when in possession, to immediately pass the ball to the nearer official when a whistle blows."
I've known about this part of the rulebook, and if a player were to put the ball down (in retaliation to a call/no-call) and "expect" me or my partner(s) to get it, I would tell the player at the next opportunity that he needs to give it to an official when the ball is blown and if not done, can be punished by a technical foul. This has always dissipated that "problem", and I've never had to assess a technical foul for this. However, even though I wouldn't want to, once I tell a player this, I would have to assess a technical if the "problem" persists.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 09:34am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
I've known about this part of the rulebook, and if a player were to put the ball down (in retaliation to a call/no-call) and "expect" me or my partner(s) to get it, I would tell the player at the next opportunity that he needs to give it to an official when the ball is blown and if not done, can be punished by a technical foul. This has always dissipated that "problem", and I've never had to assess a technical foul for this. However, even though I wouldn't want to, once I tell a player this, I would have to assess a technical if the "problem" persists.
My partner called a technical last season when a player slowly rolled the ball away from him - the nearest official. Easy, IMO -- naturally, the coach was unhappy at my partner.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
My partner called a technical last season when a player slowly rolled the ball away from him - the nearest official. Easy, IMO -- naturally, the coach was unhappy at my partner.
And what was his the coach's rationale for why his player shouldn't be T'd?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Another scenario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I've informed players, and sometimes their teammates, that it's in their interest to get the ball and toss it to me. I do not chase the ball as it's impossible to dead ball officiate while running after a ball.
Thanks. One that happened to me last year during two-man was, I called travelling on a kid who didn't like the call. JV boys. Coach immediately called a time-out, which my partner granted. The kid who I called the violation on still had the ball...I was facing him, and holding my hands out, clearly expecting him to toss me the ball. He purposely (very obviously) let it drop out of his hands, rolling it, and not in my direction. Do you have a T for that?
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 03:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by stir22 View Post
Thanks. One that happened to me last year during two-man was, I called travelling on a kid who didn't like the call. JV boys. Coach immediately called a time-out, which my partner granted. The kid who I called the violation on still had the ball...I was facing him, and holding my hands out, clearly expecting him to toss me the ball. He purposely (very obviously) let it drop out of his hands, rolling it, and not in my direction. Do you have a T for that?
I have a player joining the time-out huddle a little bit late.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I have a player joining the time-out huddle a little bit late.
thanks...I didn't give him the T. That's one of those, that when I was driving home, I thought,"I shoulda T'd him up."

I hate giving T's, but that's one I dropped the ball on.

As an aside, later in the game his coach pulled him for being disrespectful towards his team-mates, and, after the game told me he had been having trouble with the kid.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 04:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by stir22 View Post
thanks...I didn't give him the T. That's one of those, that when I was driving home, I thought,"I shoulda T'd him up."

I hate giving T's, but that's one I dropped the ball on.

As an aside, later in the game his coach pulled him for being disrespectful towards his team-mates, and, after the game told me he had been having trouble with the kid.
Personally, like BNR, I would have instructed him to go get the ball. He gets told twice by me, unless he responds to the first one with some sort of teenager rebellion signal, then we'll skip my second request and go straight to the T.

Had a player throw up a three point shot after a timeout had been granted once. Partner told him twice to go get the ball; he either didn't hear or he ignored my partner, so we shot some FTs after the TO was over.