The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Well, this was a first... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/92989-well-first.html)

stir22 Wed Nov 21, 2012 03:41pm

Well, this was a first...

Hi all...

Boys 7th grade the other night. A1 was bring the ball down, and attempts a pass to the wing. B1 goes for the steal, and comes close, but the ball goes out of bound when he touches it and cannot control it. Small gym- B1 catches the ball off the wall, and, mad at himself for not getting the steal and breakaway bounces the ball. Not bad, it went maybe 7 feet in the air. He catches it and tosses it back to me. During the next time out, B1's coach calls me over and, heatedly tells me that I should have given his player a T. I say coach, it didn't warrant a T.

I'm a 5th year guy, so, I'm pretty confident in what I think is a T, but was just wondering what you all think. I asked my partner at halftime, and he said that he wouldn't have T'd him either.

Raymond Wed Nov 21, 2012 03:44pm

By your description I don't see this being a 'T'.

Coach could always feel free to bench the kid if he felt punishment was warranted. (only after some free throws though :D)

grunewar Wed Nov 21, 2012 04:11pm

Maybe HTBT, but this doesn't sound that bad.

Camron Rust Wed Nov 21, 2012 04:29pm

Not a T....not even close.

The slamming of a ball itself is not what the T is for....it is merely the expression of emotion. Sometimes, however, that emotion is illegal, sometimes it is not. If it is to express displeasure with a call/no-call, the slamming of the ball is the display of emotion and disagreement that should be a T. If it is to express disappointment in response to failing to make the desired play, no T (assuming the ball wasn't made unavailable by the action, which is a different issue). The slamming of the ball itself should be judged on what is behind the action.

JugglingReferee Wed Nov 21, 2012 05:45pm

No T in my opinion. That's tame and is just a bounce, and not a slam.

twocentsworth Thu Nov 22, 2012 09:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 863085)
Not a T....not even close.

The slamming of a ball itself is not what the T is for....it is merely the expression of emotion. Sometimes, however, that emotion is illegal, sometimes it is not. If it is to express displeasure with a call/no-call, the slamming of the ball is the display of emotion and disagreement that should be a T. If it is to express disappointment in response to failing to make the desired play, no T (assuming the ball wasn't made unavailable by the action, which is a different issue). The slamming of the ball itself should be judged on what is behind the action.

Print this post and hand to those players, coaches, parents, fans, & partners when a kid slams the ball down in reaction to a play....

Well said!

BillyMac Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:23am

May Your Only Son Become The Goalie On A Nude Hockey Team ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 863151)
Well said!

I agree that it's well said, however, I always hate to be put in a situation where I am forced to "read the mind" of a player.

Adam Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 863197)
I agree that it's well said, however, I always hate to be put in a situation where I am forced to "read the mind" of a player.

I'll say that sometimes the ball bounces so high or far that player motive doesn't matter.

Mark Padgett Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:38am

Quote:

That's not that hard, but try to read the "mind" of a coach. I don't think you can "read" a vacuum. :o

grunewar Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:56pm

Nice to see you back......

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 863202)
That's not that hard, but try to read the "mind" of a coach. I don't think you can "read" a vacuum. :o

I see Mark:

a) is feeling better,

b) has access to a computer again,

c) is in the holiday spirit,

d) all of the above.

BillyMac Fri Nov 23, 2012 01:54pm

Maybe A Long Lost Brother ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 863216)
I see Mark:
a) is feeling better,
b) has access to a computer again,
c) is in the holiday spirit,
d) all of the above.

e) can no longer toss around the "pigskin" with the family after Thanksgiving dinner without dealing with some deep, philosophical, moral, questions.

Camron Rust Fri Nov 23, 2012 03:11pm

Quote:

You don't need to read the mind of the player. You need to know the situation and observe the reaction. It is usually pretty obvious why they do things.

RookieDude Sat Nov 24, 2012 08:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 863085)
Not a T....not even close... (assuming the ball wasn't made unavailable by the action, which is a different issue)..

Agree...and since you brought that point up...I don't like it when players are frustrated (even just with themselves) and slam the ball or even place the ball on the floor and expect us to go get it.

Some here may think that is being lazy or arrogant of an official with that attitude...but, there is rule backing if you think you need it...

10-3-5b

..."failing when in possession, to immediately pass the ball to the nearer official when a whistle blows."

grunewar Sat Nov 24, 2012 08:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude (Post 863261)
Agree...and since you brought that point up...I don't like it when players are frustrated (even just with themselves) and slam the ball or even place the ball on the floor and expect us to go get it.

A player can "expect" all he wants. With very limited exception, I'm going to stand at the spot and wait for someone to get me the ball.

Very seldom is it an issue. I'm not going to look to make it more than it is, frustration by a passionate athlete that quickly, (hopefully) dissipates.

Adam Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude (Post 863261)

Some here may think that is being lazy or arrogant of an official with that attitude...but, there is rule backing if you think you need it...

10-3-5b

..."failing when in possession, to immediately pass the ball to the nearer official when a whistle blows."

I've informed players, and sometimes their teammates, that it's in their interest to get the ball and toss it to me. I do not chase the ball as it's impossible to dead ball officiate while running after a ball.