The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 21, 2012, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Well, this was a first...

Hi all...

Boys 7th grade the other night. A1 was bring the ball down, and attempts a pass to the wing. B1 goes for the steal, and comes close, but the ball goes out of bound when he touches it and cannot control it. Small gym- B1 catches the ball off the wall, and, mad at himself for not getting the steal and breakaway bounces the ball. Not bad, it went maybe 7 feet in the air. He catches it and tosses it back to me. During the next time out, B1's coach calls me over and, heatedly tells me that I should have given his player a T. I say coach, it didn't warrant a T.

I'm a 5th year guy, so, I'm pretty confident in what I think is a T, but was just wondering what you all think. I asked my partner at halftime, and he said that he wouldn't have T'd him either.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2012, 03:44pm
Courageous When Prudent

By your description I don't see this being a 'T'.

Coach could always feel free to bench the kid if he felt punishment was warranted. (only after some free throws though )
Old Wed Nov 21, 2012, 04:11pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Maybe HTBT, but this doesn't sound that bad.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2012, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Not a T....not even close.

The slamming of a ball itself is not what the T is for....it is merely the expression of emotion. Sometimes, however, that emotion is illegal, sometimes it is not. If it is to express displeasure with a call/no-call, the slamming of the ball is the display of emotion and disagreement that should be a T. If it is to express disappointment in response to failing to make the desired play, no T (assuming the ball wasn't made unavailable by the action, which is a different issue). The slamming of the ball itself should be judged on what is behind the action.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Nov 21, 2012 at 04:32pm.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2012, 05:45pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

No T in my opinion. That's tame and is just a bounce, and not a slam.
Old Thu Nov 22, 2012, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Not a T....not even close.

The slamming of a ball itself is not what the T is for....it is merely the expression of emotion. Sometimes, however, that emotion is illegal, sometimes it is not. If it is to express displeasure with a call/no-call, the slamming of the ball is the display of emotion and disagreement that should be a T. If it is to express disappointment in response to failing to make the desired play, no T (assuming the ball wasn't made unavailable by the action, which is a different issue). The slamming of the ball itself should be judged on what is behind the action.
Print this post and hand to those players, coaches, parents, fans, & partners when a kid slams the ball down in reaction to a play....

Well said!
Old Fri Nov 23, 2012, 11:23am
Esteemed Forum Member

May Your Only Son Become The Goalie On A Nude Hockey Team ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
Well said!
I agree that it's well said, however, I always hate to be put in a situation where I am forced to "read the mind" of a player.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by Adam; Fri Nov 23, 2012 at 11:35am. Reason: extra stuff
Old Fri Nov 23, 2012, 11:34am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I agree that it's well said, however, I always hate to be put in a situation where I am forced to "read the mind" of a player.
I'll say that sometimes the ball bounces so high or far that player motive doesn't matter.
Old Fri Nov 23, 2012, 11:38am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
That's not that hard, but try to read the "mind" of a coach. I don't think you can "read" a vacuum.
Old Fri Nov 23, 2012, 12:56pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Nice to see you back......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
That's not that hard, but try to read the "mind" of a coach. I don't think you can "read" a vacuum.
I see Mark:

a) is feeling better,

b) has access to a computer again,

c) is in the holiday spirit,

d) all of the above.
Old Fri Nov 23, 2012, 01:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Maybe A Long Lost Brother ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I see Mark:
a) is feeling better,
b) has access to a computer again,
c) is in the holiday spirit,
d) all of the above.
e) can no longer toss around the "pigskin" with the family after Thanksgiving dinner without dealing with some deep, philosophical, moral, questions.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Nov 23, 2012, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You don't need to read the mind of the player. You need to know the situation and observe the reaction. It is usually pretty obvious why they do things.
Old Sat Nov 24, 2012, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Not a T....not even close... (assuming the ball wasn't made unavailable by the action, which is a different issue)..
Agree...and since you brought that point up...I don't like it when players are frustrated (even just with themselves) and slam the ball or even place the ball on the floor and expect us to go get it.

Some here may think that is being lazy or arrogant of an official with that attitude...but, there is rule backing if you think you need it...

10-3-5b

..."failing when in possession, to immediately pass the ball to the nearer official when a whistle blows."
Richland, WA
Old Sat Nov 24, 2012, 08:55am
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
Agree...and since you brought that point up...I don't like it when players are frustrated (even just with themselves) and slam the ball or even place the ball on the floor and expect us to go get it.
A player can "expect" all he wants. With very limited exception, I'm going to stand at the spot and wait for someone to get me the ball.

Very seldom is it an issue. I'm not going to look to make it more than it is, frustration by a passionate athlete that quickly, (hopefully) dissipates.
Old Sat Nov 24, 2012, 10:45am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post

Some here may think that is being lazy or arrogant of an official with that attitude...but, there is rule backing if you think you need it...

10-3-5b

..."failing when in possession, to immediately pass the ball to the nearer official when a whistle blows."
I've informed players, and sometimes their teammates, that it's in their interest to get the ball and toss it to me. I do not chase the ball as it's impossible to dead ball officiate while running after a ball.