The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Pre-Game Poll

IAABO and other state orgs hand out nice laminated cards to its officials that has very good and comprehensive pre-game checklist. Every clinic, meeting and training I attend, everyone talks about having a checklist or doing a complete pre-game. So I have personally tried to be more thorough in the pre-game. I know there was a recent thread on this, but I'd like some thoughts for those who work varsity and college level games. How many are actually doing a pre-game? I realize at the sub-varsity level, pre-game might be slightly more informal (although it probably shouldn't be).

Now my rant which is really the backstory to questioning the pre-game.....90% of the pre-game conferences that are held by the R for that night involve a dissertation on PCA. I am tired of having that night's R, give me his/her theory on what should and shouldn't be called by which official relative to the PCA. I would rather spend my time hitting on a variety of topics that may come up that get us all on the same page. I personally believe that if we are working within our PCA and secondarily helping out to get the game called correctly and consistently, check your PCA ego at the door. When I walk on the court thinking to myself, my R is going to chew my *** tonight because I called something 2 feet out of my PCA, it sets the wrong tone.

Now with that said - how many are actually using a fairly comprehensive checklist for the pre-game?
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 12:25am
We don't rent pigs

Is the R for the night always a senior official who has some kind of authority over you?

Around here, no official has the right to chew another's *** over anything.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 05:11am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
Now with that said - how many are actually using a fairly comprehensive checklist for the pre-game?
I do. I've developed it from the Manuals and Forum and add and subtract to it annually with the annual POEs and new interpretations.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 05:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I realize at the sub-varsity level, pre-game might be slightly more informal (although it probably shouldn't be).

Why do you make the assumption that those of us here who only work high school games at the sub-varsity (JV/Frosh) level would have pre-game's that are below the standard of a pre-game conducted by the varsity officials?

Why would a sub varsity crew want to go out on the floor any less prepared to work a game than a varsity crew?

Yes, I utilize a comprehensive checklist (updated annually) that I use in all of the sub-varsity pre-games I conduct.

Last edited by KJUmp; Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 05:59am.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 07:30am
Esteemed Forum Member

BillyMac's Two Person Pregame Conference ...

PREGAME CONFERENCE

Stay in your primary. Seldom should we have four eyes on the ball. It must be obvious to come out of your primary.
If something is there that really needs to be called, call it.

Out of Bounds Responsibilities
Lead had frontcourt endline, and nearer sideline to the free throw line extended.
Trail has nearer sideline, farther sideline above free throw line extended, division line, and all three backcourt
boundaries.
During transition, press, and press break, situations, the Lead, hanging back to help, will have out of bounds
responsibilities on the entire nearer sideline.

For out-of-bounds help, let's get it right. If I have no idea and I look to you for help, just give a directional signal.
No need to come to me, just point. If you don't know, give me a jump ball signal. If I signal but I get it wrong then
blow the whistle and come to me. Tell me what you saw and let me decide if I’m going to change it.

Put the ball in play where it goes out of bounds, or where the foul is.

On double whistles, let’s both hold our preliminary signal and not give a block or player control signal.
Make eye contact with each other. Give the call to whoever has the primary coverage, most often the
lead official, unless you definitely have something different that happened first, in which case we’ll
talk about it.

Be consistent with each other. Be consistent with what has already happened in the game. Let’s try to remember
what we’ve called earlier in the game, and what we haven’t called.

Be aware of sixth and ninth fouls. If we know that the next foul will result in bonus free throws, then we’ll
be more likely to identify the shooter. Off official should help identifying free throw shooter.

On throwins, count five players each team, check the table for substitutes, check the clock, good eye contact
before putting ball in play. A hand up in the air by the off official means not ready.

Game management: If I call a fifth foul on a player, I’ll tell the coach, unless I think it’s going to be a problem.
If either of us warns a coach, or the bench, let’s let each other know about it. If one of us calls a technical foul
on a coach, the noncalling official will remind the coach that he must sit down.

Near the end of the game, be aware of coaches calling timeouts and be sure to inform them after they have used
all their time outs. If the game dictates it, let the players win or lose the game at the line. If the winning team is
just holding the ball and is willing to take the free throws after strategic fouls, then let’s call the foul immediately,
so the ballhandler doesn't get hit harder to draw a whistle. Let’s make sure there is a play on the ball by the defense.
If there’s no play on the ball, if the defense grabs the jersey, or pushes from behind, or bear hugs the offensive player,
we should consider an intentional foul. These are not basketball plays and should be penalized as intentional.

This game is the most important game being played anywhere tonight for these kids, fans, and coaches.
Let’s make sure we officiate the game keeping that in mind, through effort, and attitude.

On court at 15:00. Scorebook at 12:00. Coaches and captains meeting at 5:00: Players properly equipped,
Players wearing uniforms properly, Practice good sportsmanship.

2012-13 BASKETBALL RULES CHANGES
The official scorer is required to wear a black and white vertically striped garment. No penalty.
Notify Board Commissioner.

2012-13 POINTS OF EMPHASIS
Closely guarded situations.
Contact above the shoulders
Intentional Fouls
Illegal contact (Hand checking, Post play, Rebounding)

IAABO MECHANICS CHANGES
Throwins in the front court, above the free throw line extended, will be administered by the trail.
No not closely guarded signal.

CONNECTICUT MECHANICS
Point to floor for two-point field goal try when shooter has foot touching three point line.
Coaching Box must be marked. If home coach and/or home management refuse to designate coaching box
with tape, the home team will not use a coaching box for that game. However, the visiting team will be
allowed a coaching box. Notify Board Commissioner the next day.
Captains-Head Coaches-Officials pre-game meeting should occur prior to start of game. If the head coach
refuses to attend the meeting, notify Board Commissioner, who will notify the school athletic
director and CIAC.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Why do you make the assumption that those of us here who only work high school games at the sub-varsity (JV/Frosh) level would have pre-game's that are below the standard of a pre-game conducted by the varsity officials?

Why would a sub varsity crew want to go out on the floor any less prepared to work a game than a varsity crew?
I'm not sure that's what he was implying. I certainly didn't take it the way you did. In my experience (and in more than just basketball), sub-V games are held on days and at times that require some (or even most) officials to arrive straight from work - and often not as early to the game as one should expect at varsity or college games. I don't think he's saying Sub-V officials are worse, but rather that it might be less likely to have time for a true pre-game at a Sub-V contest.

This may not be true in your area, but it certainly is in mine. Heck, I can no longer count the number of football games that started with 1 (or 2!) less officials than scheduled, and the last official shows up an runs right into a position between plays.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 10:59am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
This may not be true in your area, but it certainly is in mine. Heck, I can no longer count the number of football games that started with 1 (or 2!) less officials than scheduled, and the last official shows up an runs right into a position between plays.
Almost all games at the lower level are scheduled earlier even the ones on varsity nights in my area. Or on Saturday mornings, the games are held early in the morning and people might have rolled out of bed to do those games. It is usually not as bad as you stated where people are running onto the field, but they are running to get to the field before game time.

I also think the time is a challenge to do a good pre-game anyway. Because a game might start at 6:00, that means that if someone gets there at 5:30 they are not likely to have an extensive pre-game when you have 15 minutes at most. Also I think when you have a sub-varsity game you are working with usually unexperienced officials or officials that are only allowed to work those games because they are not considered talented enough to work higher levels. So the pre-game is going to be a little different for that reason alone.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 11:10am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

My pre-game conference consists of only one question of my partner: "Did you bring me any meds?"
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Wasn't assuming or implying anything - was asking the question based on the notion that you should copy/watch/learn from those who you aspire to be.

Although, from personal experience, the lower the level, it seems the more uncomfortable people are with having a pre-game. I think it should be done at every level.

I agree with Mark though - getting to the gym for a 5:00 game, rushing from work, means I am usually trying to also remember if I was suppose to stop for milk on the way home from the game
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 12:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Wasn't assuming or implying anything - was asking the question based on the notion that you should copy/watch/learn from those who you aspire to be.

Although, from personal experience, the lower the level, it seems the more uncomfortable people are with having a pre-game. I think it should be done at every level.
I do not use a pre-game that is written down and used word for word. My pre-game is basically in my head and covers things I cover often. I have multiple copies of pre-games with different stuff and I usually talk about things that should be covered based on the experience I am working with that night. I teach so much mechanics or rules usually this is something I remember in detail. But if it matters to you, either buy a pre-game board or use a copy of one that might be online. But over time I have realized you have to talk about some things outside of the board to cater to who your partner is and your experience with that partner.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not use a pre-game that is written down and used word for word. My pre-game is basically in my head and covers things I cover often. I have multiple copies of pre-games with different stuff and I usually talk about things that should be covered based on the experience I am working with that night. I teach so much mechanics or rules usually this is something I remember in detail. But if it matters to you, either buy a pre-game board or use a copy of one that might be online. But over time I have realized you have to talk about some things outside of the board to cater to who your partner is and your experience with that partner.

Peace
Do you ask your partner how much experience they have or do you just know from being around? I find it to be a difficult way to start the conversation especially if I have never met someone. I am not there to start a "measuring" contest. I try to say something like, "Hey , what do you do for a living? How long you have been running in-between the lines?"

Any suggestions on a conversation starter?
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 12:21pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Quote:
Hey, since we haven't worked together before, how do you normally handle. . .?

Have you had this coach before? I've heard he can be difficult, but I've never worked his games.

What do you think about the POE on elbows? Is it just me, or is it really confusing?
All of these approaches make you seem like you're asking for help, but actually begin a pre-game. Once you are talking about basketball, you can then move to other specific points you'd like to cover.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 12:31pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
I am not there to start a "measuring" contest. I try to say something like, "Hey , what do you do for a living? How long you have been running in-between the lines?"

I'm fairly new to my Association and haven't reffed with everyone yet. I usually introduce myself and say something like,

Me - "So, how long have you been reffing?"

Answer:

Me - "This is the start of my ninth season of doing ball and 2nd in the Association. I've been doing V ball for three yrs now, you?"

Answer:

Then I go from there.

My Association usually pears me up with Senior Officials so they can teach their ways, as well as observe and report back.

As has been stated, some of their pre-games are better than others, but, they all do them. Some by a list, some off a board, others from memory. Always good discussion.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 12:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Do you ask your partner how much experience they have or do you just know from being around? I find it to be a difficult way to start the conversation especially if I have never met someone. I am not there to start a "measuring" contest. I try to say something like, "Hey , what do you do for a living? How long you have been running in-between the lines?"

My goal is to empower anyone I am working with. I ask them so they can tell me what they have done. I am well known in most situations and people have perceptions of my experience or background. I like to help those get better and know that I am their equal, not someone with just more knowledge because they see me as a past President or current Board Member. So I tend to ask directly "How long have you been officiating?" Also that information in this state is easy to find out as well. I also sometimes ask where they were the day before or the weekend before as well.

I was in sales for years and management, so I love to talk to people and talking to people is never a problem for me. And as a state clinician or board member I get approached all the time about officiating issues. So I have grown to ask whatever I think will break the ice. The more you do this and the more people you know and work with, this usually becomes second nature.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 12:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
IAABO and other state orgs hand out nice laminated cards to its officials that has very good and comprehensive pre-game checklist. Every clinic, meeting and training I attend, everyone talks about having a checklist or doing a complete pre-game. So I have personally tried to be more thorough in the pre-game. I know there was a recent thread on this, but I'd like some thoughts for those who work varsity and college level games. How many are actually doing a pre-game? I realize at the sub-varsity level, pre-game might be slightly more informal (although it probably shouldn't be).

Now my rant which is really the backstory to questioning the pre-game.....90% of the pre-game conferences that are held by the R for that night involve a dissertation on PCA. I am tired of having that night's R, give me his/her theory on what should and shouldn't be called by which official relative to the PCA. I would rather spend my time hitting on a variety of topics that may come up that get us all on the same page. I personally believe that if we are working within our PCA and secondarily helping out to get the game called correctly and consistently, check your PCA ego at the door. When I walk on the court thinking to myself, my R is going to chew my *** tonight because I called something 2 feet out of my PCA, it sets the wrong tone.

A discussion on how you're going to handle situations where PCAs overlap is important. How are you going to handle collisions in the middle of the lane, for example?

Where I am, the R isn't the boss of the game or of the officials. More than likely, I'm the R because it's my turn to be the R or because we decided so in the locker room before the game. It may be different where you are.