The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 18, 2012, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Warning. This thread is about to be hijacked.
...sorry Billy...hoped you wouldn't mind.

(probably doesn't really matter anyway...I think good ol' BBR has me "locked out")
Richland, WA

Last edited by RookieDude; Sun Nov 18, 2012 at 06:06pm.
Old Sun Nov 18, 2012, 07:17pm
Certified Non-Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Don't get the thinking behind taking away a signal that gives additional information...its use can only help an official.
We're taught the thinking is: "If the official's not counting, the player is not closely guarded." So we are told not to use it.

FWIW, I agree with you APG.
Old Sun Nov 18, 2012, 07:48pm
This IS My Social Life

Mine Eyes have Seen the . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
We're taught the thinking is: "If the official's not counting, the player is not closely guarded." So we are told not to use it.

FWIW, I agree with you APG.
The common use of this signal seems more beneficial from what I'd hope might be the perspective of a coach (as sensed back when I was one). When a coach sees the "Not Closely Guarded" signal used, that gives visible evidence that the official is actively engaged in the action. Without its use the coach doesn't readily know if active engagement is existent on the part of the responsible official or not. Or at least he can't be quite as sure.
Enough of stating the obvious by one not affiliated with IAABO, thus not permitted to participate in the thread anyway because it wasn't for my eyes to begin with.
Old Sun Nov 18, 2012, 08:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm still using it, as I deem appropriate, until I'm told not to.
Old Sun Nov 18, 2012, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
...I like it...

...btw BBR...you've been around the block a time or two...jumping threads here a little...

what's your take on my State of Washington's interp of a "stationary elbow"?...IOW the elbow can be stationary during a pivot.
We were told to handle it in the same way Bob summarized.

IOW, how can it be a stationary elbow if the player is pivoting at the hips?

We now return you to "Let's make fun of the IAABO."

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Nov 18, 2012, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Never been a fan of using signals for things that aren't happening.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 12:48am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
I guess I understand that, but this signal just clarifies you do not have a count and why. And if you do not have a count, as Bob says people assume other things. And you do not use it all the time. You only use the signal when a player is standing there and you have decided that they are not within 6 feet. You do not use it just when you should not have a count. The signal is very specific.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 07:32am
Esteemed Forum Member

Freddy's Gonna Love This Post ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
I love the signal that we use for "halfway through halftime", the toilet flushing.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 09:18am
Archaic Power Monger

I like signals that help remove ambiguity.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

At my IAABO interpreters meeting, we were not told to never use the signal and I did not realize it had been taken out of the book until I read your post. The big discussion on the 'not closely guarded' signal was that it was a not working and the closely guarded count was not being enforced correctly and is a POE this year. The guest interpreter who spoke at our meeting, used the example of a mens college game he had watched on tape where the ref was using the not closely guarded signal and the 2 players the ref was signalling for were inside his outstreched arms. Obvioiusly, he was using the signal incorrectly. I would guess that the closely guarded POE and it not being enforced correctly is the reason IAABO took the signal oout of their book this year. What I took away from my meeting was it was okay to use the signal but be very careful and be sure you are accurate. Six feet from toe to toe is a lot farther apart than refs have been calling/counting.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 09:34am
Administrator

Stupidest Mechanic Ever

The "not closely guarded" signal is the stupidest mechanic ever and I have never (with apologies to the late J. Dallas Shirley) used it in any game where it is sanctioned for use (both high school and college). When I was a very young basketball official (I know, I have never been young), an older official, who I consider one of my mentors, told me that when you officiate, "you have nothing until you have something." If I do have a "closely guarded situation" then I am visually counting and if I do not have a "closely guarded situation" then I am not visually counting.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
At my IAABO interpreters meeting, we were not told to never use the signal and I did not realize it had been taken out of the book until I read your post. The big discussion on the 'not closely guarded' signal was that it was a not working and the closely guarded count was not being enforced correctly and is a POE this year. The guest interpreter who spoke at our meeting, used the example of a mens college game he had watched on tape where the ref was using the not closely guarded signal and the 2 players the ref was signalling for were inside his outstreched arms. Obvioiusly, he was using the signal incorrectly. I would guess that the closely guarded POE and it not being enforced correctly is the reason IAABO took the signal oout of their book this year. What I took away from my meeting was it was okay to use the signal but be very careful and be sure you are accurate. Six feet from toe to toe is a lot farther apart than refs have been calling/counting.
If an official is not correctly gauging the required distance, then I don't know how taking out a signal is going to help him/her correctly start enforcing the distance.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
We were told to handle it in the same way Bob summarized.

IOW, how can it be a stationary elbow if the player is pivoting at the hips?
...gotcha...but I gotta tell ya, I don't mind the way our State has interpreted this because I don't mind calling a PC foul when a player PIVOTS WITH THE BALL and contacts the defender. I just don't see the need for an INTENTIONAL FOUL here if indeed it was not INTENTIONAL...understanding that NFHS has "CONTACT ABOVE THE SHOULDERS" a POE.

Oh well...

...thanks again, Billy, for the oportunity to hijack.

btw...I used the "not closely gurarded" signal (albeit RARELY and in regular season games) before it was "LEGAL"...a great communication tool.
Richland, WA
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 12:43pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
Six feet from toe to toe is a lot farther apart than refs have been calling/counting.
This was also covered at our conference on Saturday. The presenter -- a board interpreter from central Maine -- used a tape measure to illustrate the very point hoopguy mentions. The interpreter held the tape measure at waist level, pulled out the tape, and instructed "stop me when I reach six feet." Most of us told him to stop at the right time.

As for the not-closely-guarded signal, I could take it or leave it. I don't find it to be the stupidest mechanic (that's another thread), but I don't see what's so ambiguous about not doing it. If the official isn't counting, shouldn't we rightfully assume he's still engaged?
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 12:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
...gotcha...but I gotta tell ya, I don't mind the way our State has interpreted this because I don't mind calling a PC foul when a player PIVOTS WITH THE BALL and contacts the defender. I just don't see the need for an INTENTIONAL FOUL here if indeed it was not INTENTIONAL...understanding that NFHS has "CONTACT ABOVE THE SHOULDERS" a POE.

Oh well...

...thanks again, Billy, for the oportunity to hijack.

btw...I used the "not closely gurarded" signal (albeit RARELY and in regular season games) before it was "LEGAL"...a great communication tool.
Maybe it's just Colorado and Washington who are sticking to that NFHS PPT slide.