The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 15, 2012, 03:50pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Free Throw Question

Is it a violation if on a free throw while the ball is in flight a player jumps from a lane space and is above the lane however does not land in the lane until after the ball hits the rim?
What if the player is behind the 3 point line and runs and jumps while the free throw is in flight but the jumper does not land until after the ball touches the rim?

I think it is a violation due to 9-1-3g in the 1st case and 9-1-3e in the second case bc they have broken the plane. Do the players have to touch in the lane or is mearly breaking the plane with their foot enough for a violation?
Old Thu Nov 15, 2012, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
Is it a violation if on a free throw while the ball is in flight a player jumps from a lane space and is above the lane however does not land in the lane until after the ball hits the rim?
What if the player is behind the 3 point line and runs and jumps while the free throw is in flight but the jumper does not land until after the ball touches the rim?

I think it is a violation due to 9-1-3g in the 1st case and 9-1-3e in the second case bc they have broken the plane. Do the players have to touch in the lane or is mearly breaking the plane with their foot enough for a violation?
If they can do this from behind the 3-point arc and grab the ball in the air and dunk it. I'll let it go and award them 3 points for pure awesomeness!!

other than that violation.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2012, 04:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
If they can do this from behind the 3-point arc and grab the ball in the air and dunk it. I'll let it go and award them 3 points for pure awesomeness!!

other than that violation.
That seems more than fair!
Old Thu Nov 15, 2012, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post

You've read the rule and it clearly says "breaking the plane."

(Now, how strictly it's called will vary by area)
Old Thu Nov 15, 2012, 04:06pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

I wanted to make sure I was thinking correctly as I have never seen it called just for breaking the plane.

Thanks everyone!
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Additionally, it is only breaking the plane with the FEET. Even though some people try to claim that the arms can't be out of the players lane space, the rules do not restrict the arms as long as they do not touch the floor outside of their lane space.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Additionally, it is only breaking the plane with the FEET. Even though some people try to claim that the arms can't be out of the players lane space, the rules do not restrict the arms as long as they do not touch the floor outside of their lane space.
Correct, or touching the floor (outside the space) with any body part (usually the hands in the lnae as the player loses his / her balance).

And, I think there's an "official NFHS" slide this year that seems to indicate that any contact across the neutral space is a foul.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Correct, or touching the floor (outside the space) with any body part (usually the hands in the lnae as the player loses his / her balance).

And, I think there's an "official NFHS" slide this year that seems to indicate that any contact across the neutral space is a foul.
Points of emphasis 4

4. Guidelines to enforce illegal contact. Escalating fight situations can often be traced back to illegal contact not being properly enforced and penalized. Examples of illegal contact are:

c. Rebounding. Any activity to illegally gain rebounding position on an opponent.
Examples of illegal rebounding activity.

5) Contact between players in free-throw lane spaces prior to the ball contacting the ring.

a. It is illegal to physically contact an opponent prior to the ball legally contacting the ring.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 09:25am
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
Points of emphasis 4

4. Guidelines to enforce illegal contact. Escalating fight situations can often be traced back to illegal contact not being properly enforced and penalized. Examples of illegal contact are:

c. Rebounding. Any activity to illegally gain rebounding position on an opponent.
Examples of illegal rebounding activity.

5) Contact between players in free-throw lane spaces prior to the ball contacting the ring.

a. It is illegal to physically contact an opponent prior to the ball legally contacting the ring.
Are there any separate rules about contacting the free throw shooter before the ball contacts the rim? Or is the shooter under the same provisions as the players in the lane marked spaces?

I had a coach ask me about this last night, and I couldn't think of anything that separates the rules for contact on the shooter and the rules for players on the lane.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

A little confused by your question. If players along the lane cannot break the plane until the ball makes contact with the rim how can a player contact the shooter prior to that?
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 09:40am
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxbule View Post
A little confused by your question. If players along the lane cannot break the plane until the ball makes contact with the rim how can a player contact the shooter prior to that?
My apologies... I meant to say after the ball contacts the rim... Does the shooter have different provisions (in regards to contact) when the rebounding action takes place?
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeschmit View Post
My apologies... I meant to say after the ball contacts the rim... Does the shooter have different provisions (in regards to contact) when the rebounding action takes place?
No differnent provisions, but some teams like to block oout the shooter harder than is needed.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No different provisions, but some teams like to block out the shooter harder than is needed.
Which is why ALL players have to wait until the ball hits, now....
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
Which is why ALL players have to wait until the ball hits, now....
When was this not the case?
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
When was this not the case?
Smitty,
I don't remember the exact year. I do remember that in the late 1980s, you could move on the release -- we had "plays" including setting screens across the lane and up the lane back in the day.

Initially, the changed the rule to indicate that a defender could not "break the plane" of the free throw line to "box out" the shooter. A year or two later, the rule changed to prevent anyone from going into the lane.

If I were to guess, I am thinking that the rule changed in the early to mid 1990s.

Allegedly, the origin of the rule change was that a couple of HS female players sustained torn ACL's as FT Shooters. Today, it makes NO SENSE to me that we are only concerned about "rough play" on rebounds when the shot is taken from 15 feet from the basket, directly in front of the basket with no defensive pressure. I was fine with the "free throw plane" issue -- no different than a jump shooter being undercut even though most FT shooters don't jump.