The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Free Throw Question

Is the proper position for the T (2 man) during a FT with the lanes cleared still at the FT line extended? With nine players standing across the division line it seems like overkill to have both Officials observing the shooter. I am thinking about possible trouble after an intentional foul. I have not been able to find anything in the Officials Manual giving an alternative spot to observe. When I have had this happen to me I have kept my eye on the other players but they are usually over closer to the table. I appreciate all your thoughts.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Yes it is correct...but don't ignore those players either. If there is trouble possible cheat up where you can deal with it.

That said, why are all the players across the division line?
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

The bottom line with mechanics is this: Go where you need to be to referee the play. If you're not sure where you need to be, a good first question to ask yourself is, "Where is there likely to be trouble?" Go there.

Is there likely to be more trouble with the free throw shooter or with nine idle players, opponents, all mingling in close proximity immediately following a technical foul situation? It's not the shooter, right? Then why have both officials "boxing in" the shooter and leaving the other nine unsupervised? Or under-supervised?

I'm sure you already know this, but "I was standing where the manual told me to, watching the free throw shooter's feet" is not the right answer to the question, "Why didn't one of you see that elbow being thrown?"

YMMV
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 07:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That said, why are all the players across the division line?
Camron has alluded to one of the most prevalent myths in officiating, namely that non-shooting players during a free throw in which no one is allowed to line up along the lane (i.e. a flagrant or technical foul) must stand behind the division line. Actually, they have the same requirement as any non-shooter who cannot line up along the lane during any free throw - that they must be behind the three point line and the free throw line extended. There is no NF rule that requires them to be behind the division line, yet I work with many officials who think this is the rule.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 08:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

We Did Have Lots Of Jump Balls, But Not After Every Basket ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Non-shooting players, during a free throw in which no one is allowed to line up along the lane (i.e. a flagrant or technical foul), must stand behind the division line. I work with many officials who think this is the rule.
I thought this when I played high school basketball @# years ago. And, no, we didn't have peach baskets back then.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 08:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Can't Make This Stuff Up ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
A bird in the hand is worth about $4.99 a pound.
Turkeys in Connecticut are ninety-nine cents a pound. Where are you shopping? Maybe you're buying one of those special "Governor Sarah Palin pardons and butchers at the same time" birds?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Nov 23, 2008, 05:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Want One of Those Sarah Palin Turkeys For Thanksgiving ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Turkeys in Connecticut are ninety-nine cents a pound. Where are you shopping? Maybe you're buying one of those special "Governor Sarah Palin pardons and butchers at the same time" birds?
A flyer in today's paper had turkeys at Price Chopper for forty-eight cents a pound. It must be nice for Mark Padgett to be independently wealthy. It must have something to do with that S-corporation he set up.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 23, 2008 at 05:44pm.