The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 14, 2012, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

"Shooting" at own basket

How many would have called this a violation (0:19-0:46)?

Until I started thinking about it, I would not have called this a violation.

4.15.1 SITUATION C:

A1 attempts a pass to A2 during pressing action in A's backcourt. The ball hits B's backboard and deflects directly back to A1 who catches the ball and: (a) passes the ball to A2; or (b) starts a dribble.

RULING: The pass against B's backboard was the start of a dribble which ended when A1 caught the ball. In (a), the pass is legal action. In (b), it is a violation for a second dribble. (4-4-5; 9-5)

Therefore, the second time the player shoots the ball and then catches it, we have an illegal dribble violation

Food for thought...

-Josh
Old Wed Nov 14, 2012, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
How many would have called this a violation (0:19-0:46)?
All of us, I hope.

And, it should be a violation to embed something that starts with an ad.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2012, 02:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Weird ...

Just think of this player as "dribbling" off the court floor when he "dribbles" off the backboard. Also remember that this is not a try. Do I have this right?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Nov 14, 2012, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

does hitting the rim change anything ?
Old Wed Nov 14, 2012, 02:12pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
And, it should be a violation to embed something that starts with an ad.
OOB violation?
Old Wed Nov 14, 2012, 02:41pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Just think of this player as "dribbling" off the court floor when he "dribbles" off the backboard. Also remember that this is not a try. Do I have this right?
You don't know? Or is this your serendipitous way of engaging new officials?
Old Wed Nov 14, 2012, 02:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

This Time, No ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You don't know? Or is this your serendipitous way of engaging new officials?
I think that I know, just want to be sure. And no, this is not a rhetorical question for the benefit of newbies.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Nov 14, 2012, 03:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Made this call this year in a ms girls game.

A1 gets the ball in her bc and dribbled towards B's basket. Stops. Shoots. Catches rebound. I made the call from "L" at half court.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2012, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

I hope that FIBA rules are different on this play (which I don't think they are) cause that's a call that one of the officials has to make.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Nov 14, 2012, 06:12pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
does hitting the rim change anything ?
This silly question got me thinking.

At first, I was thinking, if A-1 hits B's rim, and caught the "rebound," that's not a dribble. Further inspection of 4-15-1 tells me otherwise.

So, if A-2 purposely throws the ball against A's backboard, runs and catches it, then starts a dribble, that's legal, per 4-15-1. ("It is not part of a dribble when the ball touches the player's own backboard.") However, if A-2 purposely throws the ball against A's rim (NOT the backboard), catches it (yes, I know, very difficult), and starts a dribble, wouldn't that be illegal by rule? Or, is there a case that says it's all part of a try for goal?
Old Wed Nov 14, 2012, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

"Shooting" at own basket????

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Nov 14, 2012, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post

At first, I was thinking, if A-1 hits B's rim, and caught the "rebound," that's not a dribble. Further inspection of 4-15-1 tells me otherwise.

So, if A-2 purposely throws the ball against A's backboard, runs and catches it, then starts a dribble, that's legal, per 4-15-1. ("It is not part of a dribble when the ball touches the player's own backboard.") However, if A-2 purposely throws the ball against A's rim (NOT the backboard), catches it (yes, I know, very difficult), and starts a dribble, wouldn't that be illegal by rule? Or, is there a case that says it's all part of a try for goal?
Or are you losing your mind?

Why is it illegal to throw the ball and hit your own rim?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Nov 14, 2012, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post

A player throws the ball at his basket and it hits the rim. It's a try. Move on and don't consider anything else.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Nov 14, 2012, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
4.15.1 SITUATION C:

A1 attempts a pass to A2 during pressing action in A's backcourt. The ball hits B's backboard and deflects directly back to A1 who catches the ball and: (a) passes the ball to A2; or (b) starts a dribble.

RULING: The pass against B's backboard was the start of a dribble which ended when A1 caught the ball. In (a), the pass is legal action. In (b), it is a violation for a second dribble. (4-4-5; 9-5)
I think 4.15.4 SITUATION C applies better in this case, it's not really a "pass."

After dribbling and coming to a stop, A1 throws the ball: (a) against the opponent’s backboard and catches the rebound;
RULING: A1 has violated in (a). Throwing the ball against the opponent’s backboard constitutes another dribble, provided A1 is first to touch the ball after it strikes the board.

Edit: I also like the fact the shot clock operator had enough sense not to reset it here every shot.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2012, 10:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

As has been noted, subtly, already, the thread title is misleading.

A's basket is the one in which they attempt to score.

This isn't soccre.