The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   "Shooting" at own basket (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/92917-shooting-own-basket.html)

jdmara Wed Nov 14, 2012 01:23pm

"Shooting" at own basket

How many would have called this a violation (0:19-0:46)?

<div><iframe frameborder="0" width="576" height="324" src="http://d.yimg.com/nl/yahoo sports/site/player.html#vid=31116617&browseCarouselUI=hide&sta rtScreenCarouselUI=hide&shareUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fspor ts.yahoo.com%2Fvideo%2Fplayer%2Fnews%2FSports_Minu te%2F31116617"></iframe></div>

Until I started thinking about it, I would not have called this a violation.

4.15.1 SITUATION C:

A1 attempts a pass to A2 during pressing action in A's backcourt. The ball hits B's backboard and deflects directly back to A1 who catches the ball and: (a) passes the ball to A2; or (b) starts a dribble.

RULING: The pass against B's backboard was the start of a dribble which ended when A1 caught the ball. In (a), the pass is legal action. In (b), it is a violation for a second dribble. (4-4-5; 9-5)

Therefore, the second time the player shoots the ball and then catches it, we have an illegal dribble violation

Food for thought...

-Josh

bob jenkins Wed Nov 14, 2012 01:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmara (Post 862112)
How many would have called this a violation (0:19-0:46)?

All of us, I hope.

And, it should be a violation to embed something that starts with an ad. ;)

BillyMac Wed Nov 14, 2012 02:02pm

Weird ...

Just think of this player as "dribbling" off the court floor when he "dribbles" off the backboard. Also remember that this is not a try. Do I have this right?

deecee Wed Nov 14, 2012 02:03pm

does hitting the rim change anything :)?

maven Wed Nov 14, 2012 02:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 862115)
And, it should be a violation to embed something that starts with an ad. ;)

OOB violation? :p

Raymond Wed Nov 14, 2012 02:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 862119)
Just think of this player as "dribbling" off the court floor when he "dribbles" off the backboard. Also remember that this is not a try. Do I have this right?

You don't know? Or is this your serendipitous way of engaging new officials?

BillyMac Wed Nov 14, 2012 02:59pm

This Time, No ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 862129)
You don't know? Or is this your serendipitous way of engaging new officials?

I think that I know, just want to be sure. And no, this is not a rhetorical question for the benefit of newbies.

Adam Wed Nov 14, 2012 03:01pm

Made this call this year in a ms girls game.

A1 gets the ball in her bc and dribbled towards B's basket. Stops. Shoots. Catches rebound. I made the call from "L" at half court.

APG Wed Nov 14, 2012 06:02pm

I hope that FIBA rules are different on this play (which I don't think they are) cause that's a call that one of the officials has to make.

bainsey Wed Nov 14, 2012 06:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 862120)
does hitting the rim change anything :)?

This silly question got me thinking.

At first, I was thinking, if A-1 hits B's rim, and caught the "rebound," that's not a dribble. Further inspection of 4-15-1 tells me otherwise.

So, if A-2 purposely throws the ball against A's backboard, runs and catches it, then starts a dribble, that's legal, per 4-15-1. ("It is not part of a dribble when the ball touches the player's own backboard.") However, if A-2 purposely throws the ball against A's rim (NOT the backboard), catches it (yes, I know, very difficult), and starts a dribble, wouldn't that be illegal by rule? Or, is there a case that says it's all part of a try for goal?

BktBallRef Wed Nov 14, 2012 06:13pm

"Shooting" at own basket????

BktBallRef Wed Nov 14, 2012 06:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 862169)

At first, I was thinking, if A-1 hits B's rim, and caught the "rebound," that's not a dribble. Further inspection of 4-15-1 tells me otherwise.

So, if A-2 purposely throws the ball against A's backboard, runs and catches it, then starts a dribble, that's legal, per 4-15-1. ("It is not part of a dribble when the ball touches the player's own backboard.") However, if A-2 purposely throws the ball against A's rim (NOT the backboard), catches it (yes, I know, very difficult), and starts a dribble, wouldn't that be illegal by rule? Or, is there a case that says it's all part of a try for goal?

Or are you losing your mind? :confused:

Why is it illegal to throw the ball and hit your own rim?

APG Wed Nov 14, 2012 07:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 862169)

A player throws the ball at his basket and it hits the rim. It's a try. Move on and don't consider anything else.

brainbrian Wed Nov 14, 2012 08:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmara (Post 862112)
4.15.1 SITUATION C:

A1 attempts a pass to A2 during pressing action in A's backcourt. The ball hits B's backboard and deflects directly back to A1 who catches the ball and: (a) passes the ball to A2; or (b) starts a dribble.

RULING: The pass against B's backboard was the start of a dribble which ended when A1 caught the ball. In (a), the pass is legal action. In (b), it is a violation for a second dribble. (4-4-5; 9-5)

I think 4.15.4 SITUATION C applies better in this case, it's not really a "pass." :)

After dribbling and coming to a stop, A1 throws the ball: (a) against the opponent’s backboard and catches the rebound;
RULING: A1 has violated in (a). Throwing the ball against the opponent’s backboard constitutes another dribble, provided A1 is first to touch the ball after it strikes the board.

Edit: I also like the fact the shot clock operator had enough sense not to reset it here every shot.

Adam Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:13pm

As has been noted, subtly, already, the thread title is misleading.

A's basket is the one in which they attempt to score.

This isn't soccre.