The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 11, 2012, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Inconsistency a second time

Reading the new interpretations

SITUATION 1: While A1's free throw is in flight, B1, in a marked lane space, enters the lane. A1's free throw hits the ring and bounces straight up and hits a wire over the basket or hits the ring and goes over the backboard. RULING: The official should sound the whistle and call a violation on B1. A1 is given a substitute free throw. (9-1-4 Penalty 2b)

Can someone tell me the rationale of this? I dont see how this is justifable under 9-1-4 where both teams violate... This is not marked lane space,not behind the free throw line/3pt lane, not disconcertion, and not faking...

The rule they quote is for violation by opponent only.... This makes no sense to me...
Old Sun Nov 11, 2012, 11:09am
Medium Kahuna

Hitting a wire or going over the backboard occur when there is no team possession, and hence we use the AP arrow. Instead, in this case we enforce the violation by B.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2012, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Hitting a wire or going over the backboard occur when there is no team possession, and hence we use the AP arrow. Instead, in this case we enforce the violation by B.
Huh what??? this is by no means an AP throw in if there was no violation by B.

It is a violation to enter the lane before the FT hits the rim or backboard.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2012, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
Reading the new interpretations

Can someone tell me the rationale of this? I dont see how this is justifable under 9-1-4 where both teams violate... This is not marked lane space,not behind the free throw line/3pt lane, not disconcertion, and not faking...

The rule they quote is for violation by opponent only.... This makes no sense to me...

There is no violation by team A, hitting the wire ends the free throw and is not a violation. All team A did was miss the free throw, B's violation is then penalized.

Last edited by gslefeb; Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 11:31am.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2012, 11:39am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslefeb View Post
There is no violation by team A, hitting the wire ends the free throw and is not a violation. All team A did was miss the free throw, B's violation is then penalized.
This is what I meant to say — somehow I was thinking of a try instead of a FT. The point is: A did not violate, so this case would not fall under the rule covering when both teams violate.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2012, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
This is what I meant to say — somehow I was thinking of a try instead of a FT. The point is: A did not violate, so this case would not fall under the rule covering when both teams violate.
There is no difference on a try either. It would still NOT be an AP throw in.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2012, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

9-1-4 refers to free throw provisions violated by both teams. B1 violated by entering early while A1 never committed a free throw violation but rather an OOB violation.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Nov 11, 2012, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
9-1-4 refers to free throw provisions violated by both teams. B1 violated by entering early while A1 never committed a free throw violation but rather an OOB violation.

Duh! Told you i was missing something... Thanks
Old Sun Nov 11, 2012, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Team A hasn't violated.

When the ball hits the wire, the shot is missed. It's no different than if the FT had hit the rim and then bounced up and over the backboard.

Enforce the violation by B after the shot is missed.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 06:23pm.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2012, 11:52pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
There is no difference on a try either. It would still NOT be an AP throw in.
The wire and over the BB are considered out of bounds, correct? Thus whoever causes the ball to touch a wire, support or go over the backboard is in violation and the ball goes to the other team. It is not AP or am I missing something?
Old Mon Nov 12, 2012, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
The wire and over the BB are considered out of bounds, correct? Thus whoever causes the ball to touch a wire, support or go over the backboard is in violation and the ball goes to the other team. It is not AP or am I missing something?
It is an out of bounds violation and touching the wire makes the ball dead. It is not a free throw violation. Therefore, penalize only team B for their violation.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2012, 12:25am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslefeb View Post
It is an out of bounds violation and touching the wire makes the ball dead. It is not a free throw violation. Therefore, penalize only team B for their violation.
Should have been more clear. I meant on non FT tries.