The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 10, 2012, 05:25pm
Administrator

Game opening confusion.

The following play was discussed at a recent LOA meeting that Junior and I attended.

PLAY: The teams are correctly lined up for the Jump Ball to start the game. A1 tips the ball to A2 who catches the ball in Team A's Backcourt. A2 becomes confused and dribbles toward Team B's Basket and shoots a layup that goes through Team B's Basket. B1 immediately grabs the ball as it comes through the net and takes it out of bounds and then passes it to B2 who shoots a layup that goes through Team B's Basket. A1 immediately grabs the ball as it comes through the net and takes it out of bounds and then passes it to A2 who proceeds to dribble the ball up court going from Team A's Backcourt to Team A's Frontcourt. A2 continues to dribble toward Team A's Basket and shoot a layup at Team A's Basket which goes Team A's Basket. Team A's HC then requests a TO to question as to whether B2's FG should count.

Using NFHS CBP 7.6.6A I would tell A-HC that B2's FG counts and that he has the rest of his 60 second TO to talk with his team.

What say you?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 07:00pm. Reason: Corrected the CBP that was referenced.
Old Sat Nov 10, 2012, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with you. Player got confused and shot at the wrong basket. It would be a different thing if B in bounded and went the wrong way would it not ?
Old Sat Nov 10, 2012, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Agree..

10.1.8 SITUATION: Immediately following a goal or free throw by Team A, A1
inbounds the ball to A2 and A2 subsequently throws the ball through A’s basket.
RULING: The following procedure has been adopted to handle this specific situation
if it is recognized before the opponents gain control or before the next
throw-in begins:

Since Team A inbounded the ball (after Team B's basket) the basket by team B cannot be corrected.

Ideally, blow the whistle after A2s basketball and award the ball to Team A. OR blow the whistle after Bs basket and apply 10.1.8.
Old Sat Nov 10, 2012, 07:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I wouldn't blow the whistle unless the coach called for a TO. In the OP, B is clearly not confused, so I'm counting both baskets for B. If the table is confused, I'll try to straighten them out without killing the ball.

In the OP, I'm doing exactly as MTD suggests.
Old Sat Nov 10, 2012, 07:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslefeb View Post
Agree..

10.1.8 SITUATION: Immediately following a goal or free throw by Team A, A1
inbounds the ball to A2 and A2 subsequently throws the ball through A’s basket.
RULING: The following procedure has been adopted to handle this specific situation
if it is recognized before the opponents gain control or before the next
throw-in begins:

Since Team A inbounded the ball (after Team B's basket) the basket by team B cannot be corrected.
What exactly would you correct, if it wasn't too late.
Old Sat Nov 10, 2012, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

After A2 scored in the wrong basket, it was not team Bs ball. Therefore correct prior to Bs throwin. Or apply the case mentioned.
Old Sat Nov 10, 2012, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
What exactly would you correct, if it wasn't too late.
First I have to disagree in using 7.6.6a that is specific in an offical giving ball to wrong team, and it is not correctable after throw in ends

I belive the " opponents" here is before A does the throw in again in the OP. A scores for B, B then scores...we should have a whistle here and follow 10.1.8 and ether assess the T cancel the score etc....if confusion not assess T and still fix it....

We can't say oh whoops we were too slow on the whistle and let B go up 4.... Once B scored the second time we need to stopthe nonsense and get it all right or the game goes down hill fast...and we would never recover
Old Sat Nov 10, 2012, 11:15pm
wife loves the goatee...

just asking...

Why would it not be DOG on B for preventing A from having the opportunity to inbound the ball?
Old Sun Nov 11, 2012, 08:48am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslefeb View Post
After A2 scored in the wrong basket, it was not team Bs ball. Therefore correct prior to Bs throwin. Or apply the case mentioned.
Of course. I withdraw my question.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2012, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
First I have to disagree in using 7.6.6a that is specific in an offical giving ball to wrong team, and it is not correctable after throw in ends

I belive the " opponents" here is before A does the throw in again in the OP. A scores for B, B then scores...we should have a whistle here and follow 10.1.8 and ether assess the T cancel the score etc....if confusion not assess T and still fix it....

We can't say oh whoops we were too slow on the whistle and let B go up 4.... Once B scored the second time we need to stopthe nonsense and get it all right or the game goes down hill fast...and we would never recover
A few years ago, a fellow official walked into a gym where the GV teams were going in the wrong direction. The officials on the game didn't catch it and the teams played at the wrong baskets for the entire quarter. When asked, the CC of the game said that they did not want to change things until the quarter ended.

Of course, what they really meant was that they didn't even realize the situation until it was brought to their attention prior to the start of the 2nd quarter.

Better to fix it early and "stop the nonsense"