The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 05, 2012, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

I think I am probably over thinking this one:

A1, while in possession of the ball, begins her try. During A1 try and before the ball is released, B2 illegally pushes through A2's screen to defend A1 and is whistled for a foul. A1 continues her try and the ball enters the basket.

a.The goal is cancelled and A1 is awarded two free throws.
b.The goal is scored and A2 is awarded a one-and-one bonus.
c.The goal is cancelled and A2 is awarded a one-and-one bonus.
d.The goal is scored and A1 is awarded one free throw.

I have ruled out b & c because nowhere in the question does it state that team A is in the bonus. Also, while it states that B2 illegally pushes through the screen of A2, it also states she is defending A1 and called for foul- to me I think that she fouls A1 while in the act of shooting--- so the goal shall count and should get 1 free throw....

my thought process correct??
Old Mon Nov 05, 2012, 02:22pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by the girl ref View Post
I have ruled out b & c because nowhere in the question does it state that team A is in the bonus. Also, while it states that B2 illegally pushes through the screen of A2, it also states she is defending A1 and called for foul- to me I think that she fouls A1 while in the act of shooting--- so the goal shall count and should get 1 free throw....

Defending A1 is not a foul. The illegal act seems to be B2 pushing through the screen by A2. Thus, B2 has fouled A2, not A1.

Process of elimination leads me to answer (b) as the best choice.
Old Mon Nov 05, 2012, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

You're misreading it. B2 fouled A2. "B2 ILLEGALLY PUSHES through A2's screen".

Select the best answer.
Old Mon Nov 05, 2012, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
i have been trying to find every question in the book, but there are a few that 1. I can't find and 2. are maybe over thinking. The wording doesn't help in some instances. I am making myself crazy!
Too much "Team A shall not ever fail to prevent not moving into or away from an area not proscribed by an arc no wider than not the distance between his (obligatory ambiguous pronoun) pivot foot and non-pivot feet without failing to prevent moving into said area, unless he does not first fail to dribble and/or fail to dribble the ball between said movements," for ya?

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Nov 05, 2012, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think I am probably over thinking this one:

A1, while in possession of the ball, begins her try. During A1 try and before the ball is released, B2 illegally pushes through A2's screen to defend A1 and is whistled for a foul. A1 continues her try and the ball enters the basket.

a.The goal is cancelled and A1 is awarded two free throws.
b.The goal is scored and A2 is awarded a one-and-one bonus.
c.The goal is cancelled and A2 is awarded a one-and-one bonus.
d.The goal is scored and A1 is awarded one free throw.

Also look at rule 4-11 "Continuous motion". May also help to eliminate a couple of answers.
Old Mon Nov 05, 2012, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotto View Post
Mine didn't tell me which ones I got wrong -- only a final score. Is there any way to know which questions I messed up?
Yes, when the testing period closes (sometime this Friday 11/9 iirc), you will be able to see your test answers and also the correct answers ... so you'll know which ones you missed and what the correct answer is.

I don't remember if a rules reference will be provided or not.
Old Mon Nov 05, 2012, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You're misreading it. B2 fouled A2. "B2 ILLEGALLY PUSHES through A2's screen".

Select the best answer.
That was my first thought on this-- but where the choices involving A2 getting fouled only state a one-and-one situation and no mention of BONUS being in effect, I am thrown off. I didn't want to assume.
Old Mon Nov 05, 2012, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That was my first thought on this-- but where the choices involving A2 getting fouled only state a one-and-one situation and no mention of BONUS being in effect, I am thrown off. I didn't want to assume.
That's why you choose the best answer. Since there's no option for A2 other than shooting a 1-1, you can assume that IF A2 will shoot, that a 1-1 will be correct.
Old Mon Nov 05, 2012, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, using the continuous motion rule, the goal counts and then a2 then shoots a 1-1.

thanks for walking me through this. Sometimes I read too far into the questions...
Old Tue Nov 06, 2012, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

This one was poorly written...by not stating whether the bonus is in effect. There is a similar case book play that includes the phrase "Both teams are in the bonus." I think the test writer made a mistake by not using that phrase here.

But since there is no option for a spot throw-in, you have to pick from the available options. The question is testing whether you understand "continuous motion" when the foul is away from the ball -- and what happens when the basket is good.