The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Flagrant1 penalty (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/92838-flagrant1-penalty.html)

the girl ref Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:56am

Flagrant1 penalty

Shooter A1 is still airborne after attempting a three-point shot when she is fouled by B1. The foul is a flagrant 1 personal foul.

What is the penalty? Does the field goal count for 3 and then get 1 shot and the ball at POA? 2 shots and ball at POA?

APG Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:58am

The penalty for a flagrant 1 personal foul is two shots and the ball at the spot out of bounds closest to where the foul occurred. The only time that isn't true is when a shooter is fouled on a missed three point try. This is assuming you're talking NCAA.

the girl ref Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:01pm

Yes, the shot is successful. So, count the 3 pointer, then she receives 2 shots and the ball at point closest to where the foul occured? Yes, NCAA.

the girl ref Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:20pm

if the shot is unsuccessful, they will be rewarded with 3 shots and then given the ball at the spot closest to where the penalty occurred?

Adam Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by the girl ref (Post 861023)
Yes, the shot is successful. So, count the 3 pointer, then she receives 2 shots and the ball at point closest to where the foul occured? Yes, NCAA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the girl ref (Post 861024)
if the shot is unsuccessful, they will be rewarded with 3 shots and then given the ball at the spot closest to where the penalty occurred?

Correct on both.

grunewar Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:48pm

PS - welcome to the Forum! Great that you jumped right on in!

bob jenkins Sat Nov 03, 2012 01:06pm

That should help with the test. ;)

(And, the answers are the same in HS (for intentional) and NCAAM)

the girl ref Sat Nov 03, 2012 01:59pm

Thank you..Yes, I am finding a lot of the wording on the test questions to make me think twice on my answers...

jeschmit Sat Nov 03, 2012 09:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by the girl ref (Post 861030)
Thank you..Yes, I am finding a lot of the wording on the test questions to make me think twice on my answers...

This is making the test difficult. You really have to get in the book to find the exact language the questions are asking. I'm almost finished with it so I can take it the second time (I passed the first time, but I want to get a 100%)!

Lotto Sat Nov 03, 2012 09:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeschmit (Post 861048)
I'm almost finished with it so I can take it the second time (I passed the first time, but I want to get a 100%)!

Mine didn't tell me which ones I got wrong -- only a final score. Is there any way to know which questions I messed up?

jeschmit Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lotto (Post 861050)
Mine didn't tell me which ones I got wrong -- only a final score. Is there any way to know which questions I messed up?

You don't know what you get wrong... That's the crappy part.

Camron Rust Sun Nov 04, 2012 01:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeschmit (Post 861052)
You don't know what you get wrong... That's the crappy part.

If you did, everyone could easily get 100% by just flipping their incorrect answers on the 2nd try.

justacoach Mon Nov 05, 2012 09:15am

Cool your jets

After testing period is over, we VA officials get a complete rundown of the results with rules references for incorrect answers. Its there for review, if you care to look.

the girl ref Mon Nov 05, 2012 01:13pm

i have been trying to find every question in the book, but there are a few that 1. I can't find and 2. are maybe over thinking. The wording doesn't help in some instances. I am making myself crazy!

bob jenkins Mon Nov 05, 2012 01:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by the girl ref (Post 861134)
i have been trying to find every question in the book, but there are a few that 1. I can't find and 2. are maybe over thinking. The wording doesn't help in some instances. I am making myself crazy!

Other than the question about the size of the bench area, I found the others to be reasonably straightforward.

Help (although maybe not direct answers) is available.