The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 30, 2012, 03:41pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
All nice Mark, but the rule says it is only a violation of A was the last to touch the ball BEFORE it gains backcourt status. As an engineer, you should now that BEFORE is not equal to simultaneous. (i.e., < is not the same as = or <= ). Also, the rule doesn't depend on causing the ball to gain BC status.

In both of your plays who was the last to touch the ball before it gained backcourt status? B. No violation.

If your interpretation were right, a defender would only need to be in the frontcount and touch the ball in mid dribble if a dribbler were near the division line to give the ball FC status. If the dibble were continued, it would fit your interpretation and be a violation. Do you really think it should be an offensive violation for letting the defense merely touch the ball? Think about that...it doesn't make any sense. Why would it be any different if the time/distance between the touches were a bit larger?

Camron:

Its not my intepretation. It was the interpretation that was given to me at least 35 years ago. That said, I am, more or less, neutral in this debate; even though I feel very comfortable making the call using the interpretation I was given at least 35 years ago. Sadly, I never asked for a reason, i.e., rule basis for this interpretation so I can only surmise what it might have been. That said, I just got home from a courier run and have to get ready for a WCBOA rules/mechanics meeting tonight; Daryl "The Preacher" H. Long, Junior, and I are having dinner before the meeting (the dinner is a tax deduction, ). And I am preparing a letter regarding a RULING in a new CB Play in the 2012-13 NFHS Casebook which is absolutely flat out wrong and cannot be defended by rule which will take come before this debate. But I do have something to add later to this debate.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Oct 30, 2012, 08:58pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post

Okay. I had forgot about this thread but it lays out my position and I will not disavow it. In fact, that is my story and I am sticking with it. Thank you APG for finding it for me. It means I do not have to type it out all over again.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Nov 26, 2012, 02:33pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdray View Post
A1, while dribbling in his/her frontcourt, has the ball tipped toward the backcourt by B1. A2, standing in the backcourt, catches the tipped ball before it contacts the playing court. Play on, correct? (rule is the same for both FED & NCAA, although each rulebook articulates a bit differently)
I'm not big on raising old threads from the dead, but...

Guess what question showed up on our closed-book rule exam last night!

I actually smiled when I saw it, because I thought of this thread, but it was the only question that caused confusion. Our interp had to advise us to "answer the question as it is."

I foresee an interesting discussion when the test gets handed back.