The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 25, 2012, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Block/Charge End of Quarter

Block or charge or no call...how would you handle at whatever various levels you work (including if you're able to use replay)?

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 02:05pm.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2012, 02:23pm
NFHS Official

Close, he seems to move to his right after the shooter left the floor, but hard to tell at full speed. Probably call a charge. We don't use replay. Doesn't matter if the foul occurred after the horn in this case as you are still a shooter until you until you hit the floor, and any foul would count as long as the shot was released prior to the horn.

Last edited by OKREF; Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 02:29pm.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2012, 02:27pm
Medium Kahuna

NFHS:

I like a PC foul on the airborne shooter. The defender had LGP and had his spot (despite a little wiggle visible in super slo-mo) before the shooter went airborne.

The foul occurred before the horn, but by less than a second. At my level, we're not putting that little time back on the clock (and some clocks don't register tenths anyway). End of period.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2012, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Defensive player is repositioning body and feet laterally once the player is airborne. If I feel like contact happened before the clock expired and we've been calling everything on shooters/defenders all night. Then blocking on the defense.

My gut as a stand along play says its the end of quarter, the shot is off and airborne way before contact happens, so offense is not disadvantaged at all and contact isn't impacting play. No Call.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Sun Nov 25, 2012, 04:58pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
NFHS:

I like a PC foul on the airborne shooter. The defender had LGP and had his spot (despite a little wiggle visible in super slo-mo) before the shooter went airborne.

The foul occurred before the horn, but by less than a second. At my level, we're not putting that little time back on the clock (and some clocks don't register tenths anyway). End of period.
Ditto.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2012, 05:29pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
Defensive player is repositioning body and feet laterally once the player is airborne. If I feel like contact happened before the clock expired and we've been calling everything on shooters/defenders all night. Then blocking on the defense.

My gut as a stand along play says its the end of quarter, the shot is off and airborne way before contact happens, so offense is not disadvantaged at all and contact isn't impacting play. No Call.
I disagree. It isn't a no call. He is airborne and still a shooter until he returns to the floor. Have to make some call on that.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2012, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
I disagree. It isn't a no call. He is airborne and still a shooter until he returns to the floor. Have to make some call on that.
+1

While this might not qualify as a train wreck, we've got two bodies on the floor. In my association (the HS level) we're told there has to be a whistle on this.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2012, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Defensive player is repositioning body and feet laterally once the player is airborne.
But what is the rule? Does it say anything about such things?
Old Sun Nov 25, 2012, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Says that the defensive player must occupy the position on the floor before the offensive player leaves the floor. If they move to occupy a space once the player is in the air they are responsible for illegal contact. I only picked it up on the slow mo though.

So you are not considering time as a determining factor here. There will no rebound, there will be no chance to inbound/outlet the ball. The shot cannot be effected and nothing else can occur during the time period. I understand protecting the shooter but in this situation calling something doesn't impact the result of the play or the next play. Advantage/ disadvantage?

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Sun Nov 25, 2012, 07:29pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
10.6.1 SITUATION C:

B1 is standing behind the plane of the backboard before A1 jumps for a lay-up shot. The forward momentum causes airborne shooter A1 to charge into B1.

RULING: B1 is entitled to the position obtained legally before A1 left the floor. If the ball goes through the basket before or after the contact occurs, the player-control foul cancels the goal. However, if B1 moves into the path of A1 after A1 has left the floor, the foul is on B1. B1's foul on the airborne shooter is a foul during the act of shooting. If the shot is successful, one free throw is *awarded and if it is unsuccessful, two free throws result. (4-19-1, 4-19-6; 6-7-4; 10 Penalty 2, 5a)

Last edited by OKREF; Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 07:33pm.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2012, 07:32pm
NFHS Official

Quote:

Says that the defensive player must occupy the position on the floor before the offensive player leaves the floor. If they move to occupy a space once the player is in the air they are responsible for illegal contact. I only picked it up on the slow mo though.

So you are not considering time as a determining factor here. There will no rebound, there will be no chance to inbound/outlet the ball. The shot cannot be effected and nothing else can occur during the time period. I understand protecting the shooter but in this situation calling something doesn't impact the result of the play or the next play. Advantage/ disadvantage?
Time doesn't matter. He is a shooter until he comes back to the floor. The shot was prior to the end of the period. If he is fouled by the defense in the same situation, you would shoot the free throws.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2012, 07:37pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Time doesn't matter. He is a shooter until he comes back to the floor. The shot was prior to the end of the period. If he is fouled by the defense in the same situation, you would shoot the free throws.
Can someone remind me the procedure for what to do if there is a foul on a shooter at the buzzer? With references would be appreciated so I can read up a little.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2012, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Can someone remind me the procedure for what to do if there is a foul on a shooter at the buzzer? With references would be appreciated so I can read up a little.
Shoot the FTs with no one on the line. Teams must remain at their bench areas until the half ends (when the second FT ends).
Old Sun Nov 25, 2012, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Are you sure about that? Is that really what the rule says?

Quote:

Nope...it is not about the rebounding advantage. It is about the advantage the shooter gained by taking a path to the shot that is through the defender...even if it is after the release.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2012, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
10.6.1 SITUATION C:

B1 is standing behind the plane of the backboard before A1 jumps for a lay-up shot. The forward momentum causes airborne shooter A1 to charge into B1.

RULING: B1 is entitled to the position obtained legally before A1 left the floor. If the ball goes through the basket before or after the contact occurs, the player-control foul cancels the goal. However, if B1 moves into the path of A1 after A1 has left the floor, the foul is on B1. B1's foul on the airborne shooter is a foul during the act of shooting. If the shot is successful, one free throw is *awarded and if it is unsuccessful, two free throws result. (4-19-1, 4-19-6; 6-7-4; 10 Penalty 2, 5a)
Note the entire phrase..."into the path". Movement itself is not necessarily illegal, it is where the movement takes the player.